Importing an air-rifle

Guest Vermeulens

Guest Vermeulens

Vir die wat dalk sou belang stel, ons wou ons seun se daisy-gun saam vat. Dit is die offisiele proses vir WA.

Ongelooflik vir 'n bb-gun, palet-gun ens!

The following is the licensing process.

1. Apply for a Firearm Licence at your local Police Station.

2. Minimum age before a licence can be issued: 18 years.

3. 28 day cooling off period exists before a licence can be considered for first time applicants (original application).

4. As a means of establishing the applicant's "genuine reason" for wishing to licence a firearm they should be in possession of a letter of support from a property owner granting permission for use of a firearm on their property - recreational shooting. In the case where the firearms are only for use in conjunction with club shooting, a letter of support from the particular association/club will be accepted - restricted to club shooting.

5. Firearms must be stored in an approved security cabinet.

6. Current application and 12 month licence fee is: $175. Current annual fee $38 Plus: Extract of Licence Card (photographic ID card) $18.

Subject to your application being approved a Temporary Permit will be issued from the Police Stn where you made the application. At the same time you should be in possession of a Weapons Import Permit - B709. These permits have separate purposes: Temp. Permit allows possession whilst conveying the firearm from Customs back to the Police Stn to complete the licensing process and the Import Permit is a Customs form that is generated through this office that saitisfies them (Customs) that you are entitled to possess it within WA.

B709_request_form.doc

Edited by Mara
Corrected spelling in heading!

• 8 years later...

Good day. This is an old post, but things might have changed since. Is this law mentioned above still active? Just want to know because if we move, I would like to take 3 of my guns with to Aus. One handgun and 2 rifles (2 is inherited from great grandparents). 

Thank you

I am sure that someone will answer your question, however, just thought I would suggest you think about this very carefully, the onus put on owners to keep the guns safe, can be quite daunting. The chances of you getting to keep the handgun with you, is highly unlikely, I am lead to believe.

I did a search on the forum for you, there are many threads on bringing firearms to Australia, see below:

http://www.saaustralia.org/search/?&q=firearms

Edited by Mara

Hey Jacques,

You'd probably we wise to research the particulars re. licensing firearms for the state you intend settling in. They all differ to a degree in terms of attitude, allowable firearms and I think to an extent particular aspects of legislation.

Handguns are not impossible to license but because of their 'category' are a lot more difficult to license than say a bolt action rifle. You would pretty much be limited to club shooting, you'd have to be active and of course a consideration would be how suitable your handgun is for that purpose.

Rules re. safekeeping pretty much the same as what you're used to in SA with a few changes re. safes, storage of ammunition, transport of firearms etc.

Before you can license a firearm you'll need to successfully complete an approved safety course.

Overall I found the licensing process to be a lot more efficient and transparent than in South Africa (my experience in QLD). The facilities at shooting ranges are excellent and the firearm community friendly and welcoming.

• Like 1

Just my 2c's

I have a colt replica air gun (canisters) with bb's, 1000 fps+ and a lot of fun for recreational use.  It's packed in one of the boxes and specified on the manifest as well as the declaration they request (forget the form number).  It's up to customs to remove from box and inspect if required - have no issues with that.  I will let you know when this happens and what the outcome was.

Cheers,

18 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Just my 2c's

I have a colt replica air gun (canisters) with bb's, 1000 fps+ and a lot of fun for recreational use.  It's packed in one of the boxes and specified on the manifest as well as the declaration they request (forget the form number).  It's up to customs to remove from box and inspect if required - have no issues with that.  I will let you know when this happens and what the outcome was.

Cheers,

Since you declared it, they will probably just confiscate it. But you won't get into any trouble.

• Like 1

@GenDemo is in the process of importing a 303 rifle, but he hasn't completed it yet. We live in Victoria.

If for whatever reason the air rifle escapes customs you'd technically be in illegal possession of a restricted weapon! As a new arrival that's not a boat you'd necessarily want to find yourself in!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Just my 2c's

Cheers,

I agree with @Brad76, that is not a position you want to find yourself in. Though you did declare it, I don't think you'll be in trouble. But they are going to take it. You need an import permit for it.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2017 at 6:28 PM, Jacques8113 said:

Good day. This is an old post, but things might have changed since. Is this law mentioned above still active? Just want to know because if we move, I would like to take 3 of my guns with to Aus. One handgun and 2 rifles (2 is inherited from great grandparents). 

Thank you

Hi

Ayep, the laws/rules still apply, though they differ from state to state.

This thread is quite active on it -

I am in the process of importing two rifles. It cost quite a bit of money, but the paper work does not really seem to be a problem. Good luck with the handgun, you are going to strugle with that. Even with the rifles, be aware that it is quite an expensive sport/hobby to practice in Oz. Be sure you really want to do it.

@Brad76 @RedPanda

Post your replies I kinda had an uneasy feeling about this.  Having completed the declaration and mailed that to the shippers did not get told that I couldn't keep or that there would be issue / exception to it.  So I called them out on it yesterday, especially a new arrival with a first strike.  They told me they missed it (aka didn't even bother to read through it) and that I had to remove as they would not accept the shipment with it packed.  So did just that, will sell it locally and look into the laws applicable that side and take up shooting at the range for sport.

Cheers.

• Like 2

@Enigma very wise decision on your part.. well done!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Enigma said:

@Brad76 @RedPanda

Post your replies I kinda had an uneasy feeling about this.  Having completed the declaration and mailed that to the shippers did not get told that I couldn't keep or that there would be issue / exception to it.  So I called them out on it yesterday, especially a new arrival with a first strike.  They told me they missed it (aka didn't even bother to read through it) and that I had to remove as they would not accept the shipment with it packed.  So did just that, will sell it locally and look into the laws applicable that side and take up shooting at the range for sport.

Cheers.

Rather safe than sorry, in this case.

• Like 2