How to fly with valuables that cant fit into had luggage?

arno&caroline

I know putting anything valuable in your luggage that is going into the hold of the plane is a big risk, but what other option does one have if there is too many valuable items to fit into your hand luggage.

I have a rather large laptop that fits in it's own backpack with some limited extra space, but I also have an expensive digital SLR camera with equally expensive lenses and other expensive photographic equipment that only just fit into its own backpack. There is not enough space for everything in one case/backpack... does anybody have a suggestion regarding getting these safely to Australia (I will be flying on Qantas' 40kg baggage special). :blush:

Adding to the previous question...

Is there any issues with taking an external harddrive over? Do they search it?

Adding to the previous question...

Is there any issues with taking an external harddrive over? Do they search it?

No they did not. Wasnt even an issue.

Guest Vermeulens

I'm planning on taking all my photographs out of the albums and holding them on my lap, along with the passports, of course. I see myself clutching them and not letting them go.

Besides my hubby and kids, those are the only things that are of value to me, not material I reckon, it is irreplacible.

But having said that, I agree, how do one fit everything in 40kg, to begin with and only 7 kg hand bagage with a SIZE restriction

Em

In answer to the lap top, I travel to the US regularly and carry mine with me as cabin luggage, together with my carry on luggage. As to having the camera with you as well, I don't know about that, perhaps you could send an email to Qantas and ask them. If they say you can have it with you, print out the document and have it with you, then they cannot turn you down.

Hi all,

When travelling round asia recently, from the UK, on every flight the laptop and a woman's handbag are allowed as extra to your handluggage. So each time we flew my hubby had a laptop bag, and camera bag, I had a big daypack and a 'handbag' - trust me we could live out of those things for days! So check with Qantas exactly what is included/excluded in the hand luggage.

I recently had a quote from a removal company for a container, asked the exact same thing and they suggested a security trunk - its heat proof, metal, you pack your valuables in it, the supervisor locks in front of you (after you both do an inventory of it) and they ship it, but it is separately listed, insured etc. They told me people often send expensive cameras and electronics like this and never had a problem. Only one company mentioned it to me, so maybe they dont all do it, but its worth a thought and some investigation. Of course you'd be without the camera for a good 3 months, but might be worth it?

Anyone out there done this security trunk thing?

GSI