Perth budget

DesertDaisy

A few months back, Riekie kindly sent me a sample budget for living in Sydney. I am now trying to work out whether living in Perth is similar expense wise. I'd be really grateful if anyone would be willing to share their thoughts on what we can expect. Our first few months will be on a really tight budget (until I get the kids settled in school and find me a job!).

Firstly, a question. In my dh's offer letter, it refers to "full weekly gross rate of pay, inclusive of all shift penalties" - does this mean the figure provided is inclusive or exclusive of tax, super and any other deductions? We're trying to figure out how much we will really have to live on. Its not going to be much, esp. since in his first 2-4 weeks he gets a different, lesser rate (he will be on training etc).

We are on a 457 visa.

We want to think about weekly costs for the following:

Rent

School fees for 6 year old

Kindy fees for 3n half year old (possibly 3 days in the beg, then full week when I get a job)

Groceries

Water

Electricity/gas

Telephone

Petrol

Car repayments (an el cheapo second hand will do us till we're settled we think)

Transport (we're envisioning my dh will have to travel in on public transport, mostly like bus + train)

Medical insurance (our employer will pay only for the first month)

Internet

Ballet lessons (LOL, it was a condition of my 6 yr old. She said she wouldn't moan about moving if we can get her ballet or dance lessons, and I've gotta keep my promises!)

Insurance (household & car)

Hi DesertDaisy

I will attempt to answer your question!

"full weekly gross rate of pay, inclusive of all shift penalties" - does this mean the figure provided is inclusive or exclusive of tax, super and any other deductions?

Gross pay includes everything

Net pay excludes everything - money in hand

So with the gross pay, tax has not been deducted, any extra money he gets for shifts is included, and any other deductions they may need to make is still included. Usually super is a separate issue, and not included under your gross, unless you are going to work for the government, but then it would state X amount which includes super of 9%. You would have to check on this one, but unless it is actually mentioned I would imagine that it does not form part of your package. You see super in Australia is not optional, it has to be paid for everyone and as the employee does not contribute towards it, the companies regard it as an expense and not an item to be included in an employees wages and then deducted.

Hope that has helped you!

Mara