457 Frustrations

Guest colton

We are waiting for our 457 VISA which is still not issued. :P Hubby was supposed to start work today but we are still sitting in South Africa. Our application is sitting with DIMIA, been assigned a case officer, have a name to contact, everything is done from the companies side but nothing after 5 weeks from DIMIA. Is this normal? No request for medicals or anything yet, we have to be out of our house at the end of September and need to pack things into the container before then, plus Hubby still needs to resign. :D Should I be worried? Our PR should be issued by end of the year so I know we will eventually go.

We phoned the company last night and they aren't stressed at all, reckon "no worries mate" we will wait for you. I love the laid back, no stress attitude but ONLY if I'm there, NOT HERE!!! Anyone else gone through the same thing? Wondering if like someone else on the forum, our case officer also hasn't gone on leave?

PLEASE tell me it's going to be all okay. My daughter needs to start the next term in Australia, don't think it's going to happen.

From a VERY stressed out lady-in-waiting. :ilikeit:

For our 457 my dh's employer is providing us with an agent. We will be submitting documents this week. So hopefully things will go smoothly for us, the agent has been very helpful so far.

Hey there!

We share the frustration, we are entering our 4th week after submission and have sold our house too.

I hope your arrives soon!!

Be strong I believe it'll be worth the wait!!

:ilikeit:

Colton have you tried tracking your application online to see what is going on and what they might be waiting for? Our's was approved just short of 4 weeks. Also they don't normally send request for medicals, when your app is in and you have a ref nr, you go for the medical and send it off. I am sure that is what the hold up is.

Let me know what you find out.

Cheers

x

Colton have you tried tracking your application online to see what is going on and what they might be waiting for? Our's was approved just short of 4 weeks. Also they don't normally send request for medicals, when your app is in and you have a ref nr, you go for the medical and send it off. I am sure that is what the hold up is.

Thanks everyone. Dedrei we contacted the company and asked re medicals, the HR department is in constant contact with them and HR said we must just wait till medicals requested. They are one of the larger companies operating throughout Australia and have sponsored lots of tradesmen so I "presume" they know what they are doing, it's just SO FRUSTRATING!!! :ilikeit: It's difficult because we don't want to constantly phone and question them, they have not given us a ref. no or anything to track the application, how do I track it? I have a sneaky suspision you are right, it's the medicals.

Edited by colton

Hi there

We came over on a 457 visa and I must say ours was quick. We didn't wait for any requests for medicals we took the first appointment and hubby and myself had x rays and the kids medicals. The doc sent them off and we had our visa 6 or 7 days after our medicals were received. I think you should book your medicals etc asap you might have a waiting list for that and hopefully you will get a request for them before your appointment. I still think you should just do the medicals xrays etc anyway. If you are sure that all the forms have been sent off and they are not waiting for anything I am sure you won't have a long wait but you will need the medicals and xrays done. Do you know if your application was lodged electronically? I don't think you will be able to track your application without your tracking number if I recall correctly but its worth a try. Also our visa was granted on a Saturday so keep checking the status etc even on the weekends.

I am sure everything will work out okay but onces it happens everything will move so fast so hold on tight and enjoy the journey.

Best of Luck

Thanks to the wonderful people on the forum I am one really clued up "tannie" and so got on the phone again this morning to do some tracking of my own. The REAL story is this:

The HR department is in Victoria and Hubby's job is in Brisbane so never shall the two actually meet. Branch in Brisbane is crying because they are also desperate for Hubby to start working and thought we were stalling for a later start date. Seems like HR department has been telling some untruths. :blush: Explained to HR department that I know "from a very reliable source" that if the application was lodged he should be able to give me a ref. no for tracking purposes, and please forward it asap. After alot of uumhing and aahing, on a 40 minute phone call, he tells me.................................................

He actually FORGOT to lodge the application and only sent it in this week!!! :o Can you believe this, makes you wonder about the company? Hubby will phone the Brisbane office tonight and give them an update...... I thought we were getting away from this kind of slack business ethic, makes me wonder........................?

So thanks to all for your input, knowledge is POWER.........with you on my side NO-ONE can pull the wool over my eyes. :ph34r:

Hubby is thinking of changing companies before we even get there now because of this, are we bound by the contract he signed stating he would start with the company 4 September, or can he get out of it?

• 1 month later...

Hi We are getting frustrated in the fact that we have not started any applications as yet and we are being given different opinions on various applications one says go the 457 route and others say go for the employer sponsored route because of my age 48, can you give us any advise? :ilikeit:

Hi Bulawayo,

A 457 visa is an Employer Sponosred Temporary Residence visa. In order to get it, you need to have a position secured with a company that is able to offer this sponosrship.

In general, I'm afraid that the age cut-off for the employer sponsored route is 45, unless you have an exceptional skill. If this is the case, then the company can apply for a waiver of the age requirement. It can be done.

I hope this helps

colton - have things been sorted out now on your side? If you have an update, let us know

Parsons Family - there is a bit of a back-log building at DIMA at the moment. If your application is lodged electronically though, your sponsor is able to download the medical forms immediately upon lodging.

Cheers

Ajay