immunisation for kids

Zarina

good day

my son turned five on 2 July 2008. When I took him for his 5 yr immunisation I was told by the nurse that they do not give the 5 yr immunisation anymore. It is now given at 6 yrs. Is this new legisaltion also being changed in OZ?

Are there any other immunisations that the kids must get before coming to OZ

regards

Zarina

Hi Zarina

Whatever he does not have done in SA you can always have done in Australia.

Regards

Enrica

Hi Zarina

I just came from the clinic and they told me the same they changed it here in RSA I also wondered about the Aus issue. If they have to have the injection I think you will be able to arrange it here in RSA if you explaine to the clinic I go to a private nurse sure she will understand otherwise just have to do it in Aus?

Lilo

I will have to call my private sister that i use and check. My son is turning five and i had to take him in December.

Al

Hi there

Don't worry too much about immunistion schedules, they do seem to do them at different times in Australia to South Africa.

As long as you bring the card with you, the clinic can then see what you child has and hasn't had.

thanks for the info - much appreciated.

I also read somewhere on the forum that all kids going to OZ must be immunised for menengitis - is this correct.

thanks again

Kind rgards

Zarina

Hi there

Don't worry too much about immunistion schedules, they do seem to do them at different times in Australia to South Africa.

As long as you bring the card with you, the clinic can then see what you child has and hasn't had.

Hi

I was told the same thing. Come back next year!

Do you need to have the immunisation charts translated, or is the standard one with the vaccination names in order?

A

Hi,

It is totally different then in Sa. My 15 old month son had to go for his shots that was due when we arrived here 6 weeks ago and he ended up getting an additional 5 then what was required in sa. They give them chicken pox again as they say it is not effective at the stage sa gives the vaccines. They give prevenar and rotovix as a standard here, where in sa it is optional.

My 3 year old also need to get 2 additional shots. In sa they told me he is done until 5 then he will be getting his last shot. The nurse told me yesterday as I went to the clinic for my youngests last of 5 that Ulrich the oldest need to get his last at 4 years.

Just bring your sa card, they send it to the department and the department comes back with what is required etc etc.

Hope this helps

Tanja

Hi everyone

For those interested in when immunisations are given in Australia, here is the schedule.

National Immunisation Schedule

Remember if you don't want to have your kids immunised for whatever reason you can apply for an exemption.

My daughter (21 months) attends the ABC daycare two times a week. The doctor that visits the school on Mondays gave me a call yesterday and said I have to check on 3 things that she isn't sure about. She had a copy of the immunisation chart and it is clear to me that the nurses didn't complete it as clear as they should. I'll have to phone the clinic back in SA to check on some things, I hope her file there is more updated. I gave my daughter Prevenar in SA, although it was optional, and she was fine with that. I think we'll end up having 2 more done here.

They do them at different ages, e.g., in SA we did 6, 10 and 14 weeks, here it is more like 2, 4 and 6 months. Last at 4 years here, not 6.

I visited a doctor in Aus and she scheduled only 1 extra shot for a 2 year old and 2 extras for 5 year old.

I think that is only for menigitis for both of them and 5 year old has to get the combo from 6,10 and 14 weeks repeat.

We did take some extras in SA ( chickenpox and something else which I am not sure, but we didn't take Prevenar or rotovix) so there seems to be some confusion.

I will check with the doctor once they go for their shots.

we got a note from Medicare that we should see GP wrt to immunisation, and I can see others got info through different channels.

• 1 month later...

We just caught up with immunisations when we got here. The took the cards from SA, compare dand then just gave the kids the scheduled shots and the ones they still needed. And didn't cost anything

Hi Andrea

You said that if you don't want your children to be immunised you can apply for an exemption. Could you please tell me how to do this. Thanks!!! :)

Alycat

Please can someone tell me what age they (in Aus) want these immunisation cards until? I have a 17 and a 13 year old, will I need them for them? Heavens knows if I'll find them, haven't used them since they went to school!

• 10 months later...
Please can someone tell me what age they (in Aus) want these immunisation cards until? I have a 17 and a 13 year old, will I need them for them? Heavens knows if I'll find them, haven't used them since they went to school!

I have the same question. Can anyone help please?

Edited by Marius & Euneze

I have the same question. Can anyone help please?

Hi,

My 4 year old caught up when we came here (and they actually pay you if you are on PR and you have your children innoculated - $245 and the innoculations are free) but my other two (7 and 9) only have to go to the clinic again when they are 10 and then not again thereafter. It seems that after the age of 10 the kids are not innoculated but maybe someone else knows whether different?

L.

Interesting... my experience here has been completely different.

I am a "militant" vaccinator though - my three year old has had ALL the vaccines - not just the SA government ones, the private ones too (eg phneumococcal vaccine).

I compared her SA Road to Health vaccine chart with the Aussie chart and it appears that we are ahead of the schedule here. Her classmates are due for vaccines next month that she already had a year ago.

The best advice I would say is to check your vaccine card at your local clinic when you arrive - if you are behind you can catch up and if you are ahead, you can alert your daycare that when the nurses come to administer the vaccines (the nurses visit the daycares here), they should skip your child (no need to "double" vaccinate).

So far we have had only one visit to the doctor for our daughter and it was completely gratis!

Even the flu vaccine here is free to under 4 year olds.

Even the flu vaccine here is free to under 4 year olds.

We had to pay for my daughter's flu vaccine. She had to get 2 1/2 dosis, I think because she's under 2 and we had to pay $20 each time.

What about children aged 17,14 and 12? Anyone?

Thanks