Aged grandparents

Guest Bronwyn

Hi all - My grandparents are nearly 80 and I am very close to them. It is a major consideration for me moving to Australia and leaving them here, as there is not a lot of other family involved that can look out for them. I have tried to sound them out about the possibility of them joining us eventually, but to be honest I don't believe it will ever happen because they are very set in their ways and would hate to move away from the house they have lived in for 40 years, let alone live in another country. :ilikeit:

I have told them we will buy them a computer and pay for 24 hour internet so we can contact each other at any time, but it is difficult for old people and they find the prospect very intimidating. I think I am trying to absolve a certain amount of guilt at leaving them, and putting them under even more pressure.

They are very healthy (for that age) and have all their faculties, that's not the issue.

I just know they are going to have technical hassles and extra expense. Am I being a pessimist?

Can anyone share tips/advice with me on this sort of thing? Thank you, Bronwyn ;)

Bronwyn

My parents are younger than your grandparents but my mom (in her 50's) did not even know where to put pc on :blush: now she is showing my brother how to chat on internet ;)

We set up an email addy for them and on messenger. Now they chat on webcam and from personal exprience...it means alot to them. They get to see my kids and chat with them, but also get to see their month old grandaughter who they otherwise would not have been able to see.

If you can, teach them how to use it. Write everything, step for step, down for them. My mom used to go to internet cafe with her little instruction paper :blush:

good luck, hope it all works out

Lindy-Lee

:ilikeit:

Hi Bronwyn

My parents are in their 80's in Groenkloof.

My mother has mastered the internet and has a VERY willing Computer Guy(somewhere in Brooklyn) who assists with things like changing her printer cartridge.

Send me a PM and I will give you my Moms number and perhaps you can have a chat to her.

My fayther has been unable to master the internet. My Mum has many difficulties, but eventually she gets there.

Hi Bronwyn

My parents are in their 80's in Groenkloof.

My mother has mastered the internet and has a VERY willing Computer Guy(somewhere in Brooklyn) who assists with things like changing her printer cartridge.

Send me a PM and I will give you my Moms number and perhaps you can have a chat to her.

My fayther has been unable to master the internet. My Mum has many difficulties, but eventually she gets there.

Thanks Queensland Girl. We are 3 minutes away from Groenkloof! My grandparents are in Springs though. Would you say it has been worthwile trying to get them up & running on the PC? Bronwyn