Bob's travels across N.S.W. and into Q'ld

Bob

We were fortunate enough to have a lovely family to stay with in Maryborough, Q'ld for the best part of a week, and watched a rodeo about half an hour's drive west into the countryside, but afterwards took our leave next day (Sunday).

The main "drag" up the coast of Queensland is the Bruce Highway and is busy. We chose to go north a quieter way with our cumbersome vehicles and caravan attached, pottering along at 80 km /hr and wanting to be able to halt if there was an interesting item to see without a big artic or queue of traffic behind us.

One small waystop caught my eye, the painting being of a bottle tree (Boab tree) which I wasn't aware were in this part of Australia. I'd run across them in north western Northern Territory and across the top of Western Australia, but didn't know they were this far east in Australia. They are the same species as the Boabab tree in Africa, whole trees being washed down the rivers in Africa during floods, etc., drifting on the ocean currents to this side of the Indian Ocean where they ended up in Australia.

DSC02271.jpg

We pulled up at a town called Biloela in central Queensland and found a good little museum which took my interest. I am a history nut and have always had a niche for seeing how our forefathers lived and worked. This display shows how women in their small homes made out wood from the bush got on with family life in the 1920s in that part of Australia. Life was tough, but it had meaning.

DSC02280.jpg

On the side of a big water tank on the edge of town were these paintings showing progress thro the years and the lifestyle Australians lived in the late C19th

DSC02310.jpg

and early C20th

DSC02324.jpg

This wood panel house was built at a farm out of town and re-erected in Biloela recently. It was an early settler's homestead dating back to 1871 . . . . a very flash place for its time.

Greystone House

DSC02329.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

We headed north for a further hour's drive until we hit the Capricorn Highway. This road runs more or less due east / west along the Tropic of Capricorn from Rockhampton on the coast of Queensland 700 kms west to Longreach, a town in the Outback of Australia. We turned westward and headed inland.

We struck an area of Queensland rich in coal. The rail line was carrying coal trains every hour, or so it seemed . . . . 100 rail trucks at a time . . . from the coafields to the port to be exported overseas (mainly China & India) fuelling their power needs. The next week we stayed in central Queensland which has become affluent on the wealth generated largely from the mines in the region.

At Blackwater, so named for the coal staining the rivers around the disrict, we found a free park near a weir that gave us hot showers, free fishing and good company.

Bedford Weir

DSC02369.jpg

DSC02402.jpg

DSC02377.jpg

going for crayfish (freshwater lobsters), called "Yabbies" in southern Australia

DSC02371.jpg

Camp life, when you live under the stars and follow the sun, still has its chores with breadmaking ("damper" in Australia)

DSC02383.jpg

and washing the old fashioned way in a tub

DSC02387.jpg

but we live well. eat well and meet good folk along the way as well as see what this part of Australia has to offer

DSC02384.jpg

Later that week we ended up in a town called Emerald where "Jill" happens to live after coming from South Africa with Dave, her husband, grown up son and high school age daughter.

That's the next installment.

Hiya Bob, you were in my neck of the woods, we are in Rocky, enjoy the rest of your travels

Nicki

Thanks for your photos and stories Bob. Always fascinating to read :rolleyes:

It's great to follow your travels, Bob. Looking forward to the next installment...

It's great to follow your travels, Bob. Looking forward to the next installment...

I asked Jill if you'd made it to Emerald and was told you're still in the queue for a visa?

I thought you had one.

When you finally make it to Emerald, you'll really like the laid back atmosphere of the place and the number of new housing that's being built in the town. There are 40 South African families there, last count, but don't know about Rhodesians. You'll have to suss them out.

Thanks for your photos and stories Bob. Always fascinating to read :ilikeit:

Annette!

You & Marius are really going to have to do something serious about scratching your feet that are itching like mad. I can hear you scratching away from here (Q'ld)!

You have your 4WD, so now all you need is some gear to do a good trek one time and get it out of your system a bit.

I think you'll be impressed with parts of Australia.

Hi Bob,

Enjoying reading about your travels, was really good to meet you and I am also looking forward to the next instalment.

Jill

Bob

By now you have convinced me that a ‘walkabout’ is on my list of things to do. I’ll start planning it.

Nice pictures too.

Gerhard

Annette!

You & Marius are really going to have to do something serious about scratching your feet that are itching like mad. I can hear you scratching away from here (Q'ld)!

You have your 4WD, so now all you need is some gear to do a good trek one time and get it out of your system a bit.

I think you'll be impressed with parts of Australia.

Haha :lol: I know, I know!!!

Now we just need to get some joint holidays (paid, would be nice!). :wacko: