Toddler

new

Hi all South African moms

:unsure:

Can you tell me if it's normal if my child doesn't want to eat. He is teething and full of nonsence these days. I feel so quilty if he doesn't eat.

What to I do? Do i force him or do i just leave him?

And when do you take the bottle away? :excl:

Hi

How old is your child? They normally don't feel too well when teething - maybe just give stuff that he will actually eat. Just for now. I know other moms might stone me for saying this, but rather have your child eat something he likes, than nothing at all. And good old South African Stopain helped a lot....

My youngest girl was almost three when she finally started drinking from a normal cup. (2 1/2 when she started to drink from the "sippy-cup")

Don't push your child - they differ a lot. My eldest did all of this (and potty training) almost a year earlier!

Good luck!

Avida

Hi 'Avida'

My sons 19 months old.

Having problems since he started teething. We will have good days and we will have bad days. :unsure:

Hi new

It is quiet normal for you toddler to go off food when teething. Just give him/her some Nirofen or Panadol and try and tempt with their favorite foods , even if it is not exactly what you would approve of. They will get over it.

Regarding the bottle, you need to gauge that each child is different. My older son I took the bottle away at 20months and the younger one was not ready until he was 4!!!

Good luck. I am sure you are doing a great job, just follow your instinct

Hi to all

Thanks to all for replying to my post. This is my first and it's very helpfull to hear what other mommies say.

:unsure:

Hi, new !

I've found that my 2 both lost some appetite while teething. I just left them having the little they wanted. I've put some Teejel on the gums some 5 mins before drink- or eating time (take care though, not to give T-jel more than 2x per day, therefore, only put it on right before say lunch and dinner).

I used Herbalife Shake (a teaspoon in half a glass of milk) to give them the necessary nutrients enough for one day, without having to eat - and I give it just before the afternoon sleep, to help soothe them. Mine both slept less than normal while teething. You can also give some chamomile tea for soothing, Rescue Remedy before nighttime sleep and a wonderful alternative I used before nighttime sleep and sometimes afternoon nap, is chamomile teething powder, obtainable from some alternative health shops. The children loves it, it tastes sweet and it's fun to 'eat' the powder from the packet. Don't give it for a baby under one yr old, the lactose sugar irritates the tummy. Oh, I see you're fine, yours are 19 months.

And yes, they're often irritable at this stage, that's normal. Just don't deviate tooooo much from your normal way of doing (routine or discipline/training) because of that, because the stage is temporary.

Happy teething !

Alida

My daughter is nearly 21 months. She's through with teething and strangely she ate well during those times, but didn't drink well. I'm a first time mom too, but you need to relax. Let the child lead you, they are all different. I rubbed Stopayne on my little one's gums and it also worked wonders. I would be grumpy too if my gums were so sore!! I still let her have her milk in a bottle, but I'm giving rooibos tea and water from sippy cups. I am not planning on taking her bottle away for a few months yet. Luckily, she threw her dummy away herself a long time ago, so I am hoping that she will do the same with her bottle when she is ready. I think it gives them security too and making this big move and I've just started her for 2 days a week in daycare it helps to have that "something" to cling to.

They go through phases of eating well and not eating so well. If your little one is happy, healthy and growing, everything is fine. Remember how tiny their tummies are compared to ours. I also agree on letting them eat anything (not sweets), mine used to live on cheese and joghurt for times. She eats well at lunchtime and supper, but has basically no breakfast and I've tried a range of things, but she is growing, and looks content, so I'm not forcing her. How do you force a child to eat anyhow?

My daughter is nearly 21 months. She's through with teething and strangely she ate well during those times, but didn't drink well. I'm a first time mom too, but you need to relax. Let the child lead you, they are all different. I rubbed Stopayne on my little one's gums and it also worked wonders. I would be grumpy too if my gums were so sore!! I still let her have her milk in a bottle, but I'm giving rooibos tea and water from sippy cups. I am not planning on taking her bottle away for a few months yet. Luckily, she threw her dummy away herself a long time ago, so I am hoping that she will do the same with her bottle when she is ready. I think it gives them security too and making this big move and I've just started her for 2 days a week in daycare it helps to have that "something" to cling to.

They go through phases of eating well and not eating so well. If your little one is happy, healthy and growing, everything is fine. Remember how tiny their tummies are compared to ours. I also agree on letting them eat anything (not sweets), mine used to live on cheese and joghurt for times. She eats well at lunchtime and supper, but has basically no breakfast and I've tried a range of things, but she is growing, and looks content, so I'm not forcing her. How do you force a child to eat anyhow?

Hi New,

Have 2 daughters, both were off the bottle at around 2yrs..but don't rush them, they will give it up when they are ready: my eldest threw her bottle in the bin and that was it!!!!

There is a milkshake by Nestle' called Nutren Junior which is a really good meal supplement for when they aren't eating well. I also feel like it's better for them to have a full tummy than go hungry sometimes, so I gave them whatever they would eat when they were going through a bad patch. Good luck!!

Personally I wouldn't stress too much.

I have a daughter who is 2 years and 7 months old and she is the worst eater around!!!

After coming from a family which forced you to finish your food before you left the table, I refuse to do the same with my child.

If she isn't hungry, I don't force her. If she doesn't want supper, I offer fruit, and if she doesn't want that, then it is fine.

She has not starved yet. <_<

I still giver her milk - she has a sippy-cup bottle of milk in the morning and one in the evening. I give her the Nestle growing milk for 1-3 year olds.

When she turns 3, I will give her the 3+ Nestle growing milk. I happy that she drinks the milk as it has lots of added vitamins and minerals, so at least I know she is getting something good in. I am not concerned about her drinking from the sippy cup, as she only uses it for her milk. She drinks water and cooldrink from a normal cup.

I will only worry if she hits high school and still demands milk in her sippy-cup! Even then, there are ways around it - I will just encourage her to take up cycling and carry a cycling bottle! :ilikeit:

I think at the end of the day you have to ask yourself if it is really so important that your LO (little one) give it up right now? If they enjoy it then why? They will forgo it when they are good and ready.

Oh - if your LO usually eats well, but is suddenly not wanting food, ignore the above. Go to the doctor - chances are that they probably have a throat infection or ear infection which would be difficult for you to see.

With regard to teething - my toddler never battled at all until her molars started coming through. She really battled with them and ate even less than usual. I used Vidol teething powder - it works like a bomb and tastes nice. Stopayne works really well as well if they are having a difficult night, but you can't do it every night - oh and watch out, Stopayne has Codeine in it which can cause constipation.

Edited by Gizmo

Hi new,

Don't stress, they say the first 2 years are bad!.......thereafter it gets worse!

Alida gave excellant advise regarding the Shake meal replacement. The problem is they don't want to press down on their gums as it's too painful. Therefore the meal in a bottle, will fill them up and help them to sleep better. They often cry because they're hungry but don't want to eat, cause they know it's going to hurt! I personally also used the meal shakes. But they'll tell you if they'd rather eat than drink a meal.

The other mommies also gave good advise. All clearly having plenty of experience already.

However, I think the time is right to take your 'baby' off the bottle when they walk around with it clinched between the front teeth. The weight - even if a bottle doesn't weigh much, except when it's full - can be bad for teeth formation. The weight of the bottle can make their teeth to grow forward. Can also think it would damage the teeth sockets. What I did with my one kiddy was to cut the holes in the teets bigger. It would leak too much and soon after, the bottle was given up for a sippy cup. He was around 2 at the time.

BUT, you follow your gut feeling and all the advise that fits into your lifestyle. And you wean your baby off the bottle when you feel it's time. Whether he's 2 or 4 - doesn't matter, as long he's off the bottle by the time he starts Grade 1!

Wishing you nights of deep sleep and a baby who will cut teeth like it's popping out like popcorn!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi New,

As a meal supplement you can try S26 Gold Toddler. It is fir picky eaters or Karicare they also make a suppliment. It has all the additional vitamins that they require.

I have two boys and when they are sick or just picky I replace the normal formula with one of the above. I always have normal formula and one of these two.

Hope it helps

Tanja

Hi, I have 3 boys, the eldest will be 17 in two weeks time, and when he was 9 months old he basically stopped eating. That is, the food I wanted to feed him. He would pick at some cheese, pieces of apple, fingers of toast etc. I was still breastfeeding him, but even so I was so WORRIED about him. And he never ate properly again for years. If you could see him now you would laugh, he is over 6 foot tall and as healthy and gorgeous as anything. So don't stress. As his paediatrician said to me all those years ago, he will eat enough to keep him going. All the best...

My boy is 14 months old. He is busy getting his molars.

He has days when he does not want to eat or drink anything and he cries all the time :( . I then give him Pontstan (excellent product) for the pain.

Then he has days when he eats A LOT :whome: . Nowadays he seems to only want to drink his bottle at night. :blink:

I he does not want to eat, I sometimes just give him food that he can feed himself with, like baby peas. He seems to eat that better than when I try and feed him. :ilikeit:

Maybe it is the independence in your child coming out...

Are dads allowed to weigh in with opinions?

I don't think force feeding is the solution. Your child might develop an association with meal times and the two of you fighting, which just sets you up for even more difficulty later.

Teething throws kids off there game and makes them irritable. Going off food is natural, but they will eat something. Just need to make sure they are not dehydrating. If your child is not drinking anything then you need to observe closely. Also if they are still making lots of noise and are still strong, chances are you have nothing to worry about. If they are listless and sedentiary all of a sudden, that is cause for concern.

If you do use Stopayne, don't tell anyone. That stuff is not well liked by doctors for a reason, the active ingredient is ..er... questionable. I think I would have had a nervous breakdown if it was not for it though, so no judging here, just a recommendation that if you can avoid it, do so. Teething powders worked well for us.

My wife and I have a small library of children's books, she is super knowledgeable and even trained as an infant massage instructor and gave baby stimulation classes, but even she was at the end of her tether at times. When we took our little one to Anne Robinson (co-author of Sleep Sense) my wife was almost in tears...

"He is not behaving the way the books says he should," she sniffed.

"I don't think he has read the books yet," re-assured Anne.

Moral of the story : All kids are different except for one thing. All they need to grow up well is bag loads of love and understanding from their parents.

Good luck.

Are dads allowed to weigh in with opinions?

I don't think force feeding is the solution. Your child might develop an association with meal times and the two of you fighting, which just sets you up for even more difficulty later.

Teething throws kids off there game and makes them irritable. Going off food is natural, but they will eat something. Just need to make sure they are not dehydrating. If your child is not drinking anything then you need to observe closely. Also if they are still making lots of noise and are still strong, chances are you have nothing to worry about. If they are listless and sedentiary all of a sudden, that is cause for concern.

If you do use Stopayne, don't tell anyone. That stuff is not well liked by doctors for a reason, the active ingredient is ..er... questionable. I think I would have had a nervous breakdown if it was not for it though, so no judging here, just a recommendation that if you can avoid it, do so. Teething powders worked well for us.

My wife and I have a small library of children's books, she is super knowledgeable and even trained as an infant massage instructor and gave baby stimulation classes, but even she was at the end of her tether at times. When we took our little one to Anne Robinson (co-author of Sleep Sense) my wife was almost in tears...

"He is not behaving the way the books says he should," she sniffed.

"I don't think he has read the books yet," re-assured Anne.

Moral of the story : All kids are different except for one thing. All they need to grow up well is bag loads of love and understanding from their parents.

Good luck.

Just wanted to agree with your moral of the story! I do believe in routine to some degree and am not a total earth mother, but children are very different, as any mom with more then one will tell you. Dont stress about the eating thing. I have two sons. My oldest is a terrible eater and i feel like i have won a victory when he eats anything. However, i do not make a big deal about it and he is fine. My baby is a vacuum cleaner who eats everything!

No two people are the same and thus no two kids are the same: Meet their emotional needs and give them lots of love and they will be fine. One of the best parenting tips i ever read was: "With parenting it is better to close your mouth and open your arms". Something i have to remind myself all the time with a cheeky toddler in the house! LOL

The teeth will soon be out and it will be all over! And dont worry we all give our kids the occasional painkiller when they are miserable!

Al

Hi

I have found the perfect thing for teething for my then 9 month old baby when we landed in Aus. I had to get this as soon as possible cause he started theething as soon as we landed. So I went to the pharmacy and the lady gave me "Hyland's Theething Relief Tablets" This is a natural product and I did give him 3 tablets at a time three times a day and there was no problems. The tablets are so soft they melt as soon as he puts it in his mouth. When my sister in law visited, she went home with four bottles of tablets for her little one. For me this was the best I ever got. And it really did work.

With the botteling. What I did with my two children: From 20 months I only gave them bottles with water in it, and their milk was in a sipper cup. They quickly turned to the cup. The bottle was only there for comfort. And then it just vanished.

Good Luck

It is so much "fun" to be a mum. No Worries.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my topic.

Since I have started this topic I got so much feed back that made my life easier. My boy is happier en me off course can't thank everyone enough.