Bliksem: Howzit!

Bliksem

Howzit everyone

I've recently joined. I've been browsing the site for info and making use of lots of it for a long time, but have only recently joined up. I'm in Perth, been here since Feb 07 after a year and a half in NZ. Have also just recently succeeded in the dreaded PR application. So all's good! Hope that I can use my experiences to assist anyone else going through the same pain!

Cheers

Welcome Bliksem

I’m sure you will enjoy being part of this forum, we certainly do!

Welcome Bliksem. Seeing you are already Down Under, please share your experiences. We'd love to hear them.

Hey Bliksem

Welcome to the forum, great to have you here. I echo Ready2go's request - please do share your experiences downunder with us.

RoMar

Hi Bliksem

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah mate we would all like to hear about your experiences in Perth.

Cheers

Enrica

Did you move to Perth for a job!

Where do you live North or South of the river?

Welcome to the Forum I am heading to Perth next year

Fern

Hi Bliksem!

Deel bietjie met ons NZ vs Australia?

Lize

Hi Bliksem!

Sjoe ek voel skoon sleg om jou dit te noem :ilikeit:

Welkom hier en hoop jy gaan baie gelukkig wees in Perth.Dis n pragtige plek en as jy eers jou wortels hier uitskiet gaan

n bom jou nie eers hier weg kry nie.

Enjoy

Gee, howzit people! Soooo many replies... didn't realise what a friendly and interested bunch we had here. Thanks for the welcomes! And sorry about the loooong delay.

My experiences in OZ and Perth...hmmm.... where to start?! I don't want to be negative, and am not negative about being here - but I think it a good thing to mention things to be aware of for those not here yet, but planning the move. I think that it is important to be very clear about your reasons for wanting to emmigrate. If you think you'll have SA in Oz, but without the issues, then you may be a tad disappointed. For example, property is very expensive here, so you won't easily have the big yard, lapa and swimming pool! But if a safer environment, a more 'normal' society and a better future for your kids are more important than swimming pools, then you'll be happy. Things can be a bit tough in the beginning, especially if you're not a permanent resident. Its a different place and takes a bit of getting used to. Best thing to do is not think about the things you miss, but to embrace and enjoy all that is new! Its the best way to start feeling at home here. So don't knock that stupid game of footie - learn about it, watch it and enjoy it. Everyone else in WA does!

BUT, in my 2 moves (NZ and Aus), I've found that after roughly a year I really start feeling settled and at home. And Perth really feels like home now. Great beaches here and if you're lucky enough to stay close to one, as I do, then the 9pm sunsets in summer mean that every evening can feel like the weekend! (I live North of the river btw Fern - in Scarborough). In summer, I go down to the beach everyday after work. And in mid summer it is often still 35 degrees plus after 5pm! And I've never seen so many parks in a city as here in Perth, with well maintained playgrounds. Its a great place to raise kids. Something else I really enjoy, is the general friendliness of the people. You don't have that same mistrust that has developed in SA and you still find that sense of community that existed more in SA years ago. Neighbourliness. Lots and lots of work here too generally, so easy to find a job.

I'm really happy in Perth. Just wish that I can afford to buy a house in this boom town someday soon. Please feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have or get in contact. I'd love to be able to provide the support and assistance that I wish I had coming over....just to make the big change a little easier!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i am so glad that yeh are happy in Perth :whome:

Perth is a beautiful place 2 stay in.

Enjoy

I'm really happy in Perth. Just wish that I can afford to buy a house in this boom town someday soon.

That is my only problem at the moment :whome: