Adelaide question - where to go?

Guest Bronwyn

I was a bit worried and surprised reading another member's comment that Adelaide is a 'dying city'. We were there 8 months ago and that wasn't my impression at all. I realised that other Australians like to joke about 'Adelaidians?', but this is mostly done in good humour. I found it thriving and pretty. I know there are only 1,2 million people there and the Govt, is very encouraging of newcomers, but what are other people's experiences?

Thanks!

Bronwyn (PS. I live in Pretoria and I find it incredibly boring here - any comparisons??)

It is thriving and pretty... . ;)

My husband is an architect and he has never had so much work in his life. There is a huge building boom here and as anyone with half a brain cell knows, this is a very good economic indicator.

We love it here. Depends on why you find Pretoria boring what you will think of Adelaide. I think it's a very vibrant place, but it suits our tastes in entertainment and lifestyle. It's basically a big country town, with very friendly people, but still a lovely variety of cultures, excellent entertainment offerings (albeit somewhat expensive) and good opportunities for an outdoor lifestyle. We like bushwalking, windsurfing, going to the beach, cycling, sailing, doing the wine routes, fishing... There are many many opportunities for great camping as well. The people are just amazingly friendly. If you're a culture vulture you'll like it as well. And I have never seen so many good restaurants in a few square miles in my life....

If you're a theme park, high rise, sleek modernist, clubbing all night type of person, it's probably not for you.

Basically, think Cape Town without the mountain (and the wind!), sort of mixed with Bloemfontein and a bit of Pietermaritzburg... The climate is very similar to the Cape, but hotter in summer and with less wind.

:ilikeit:

Oh, and the sky is ricidulously blue ...... and the sunsets are stunning ... and the sea is nice and warm and still (and shallow) .... lots of wildlife in the suburbs .... huge variety of locally grown fresh food ..... oh, and you can drive the Great Ocean Road from Adelaide to Melbourne, widely believed to be one of the greatest coastal trips in the world.... :o

It is thriving and pretty... . :lol:

My husband is an architect and he has never had so much work in his life. There is a huge building boom here and as anyone with half a brain cell knows, this is a very good economic indicator.

We love it here. Depends on why you find Pretoria boring what you will think of Adelaide. I think it's a very vibrant place, but it suits our tastes in entertainment and lifestyle. It's basically a big country town, with very friendly people, but still a lovely variety of cultures, excellent entertainment offerings (albeit somewhat expensive) and good opportunities for an outdoor lifestyle. We like bushwalking, windsurfing, going to the beach, cycling, sailing, doing the wine routes, fishing... There are many many opportunities for great camping as well. The people are just amazingly friendly. If you're a culture vulture you'll like it as well. And I have never seen so many good restaurants in a few square miles in my life....

If you're a theme park, high rise, sleek modernist, clubbing all night type of person, it's probably not for you.

Basically, think Cape Town without the mountain (and the wind!), sort of mixed with Bloemfontein and a bit of Pietermaritzburg... The climate is very similar to the Cape, but hotter in summer and with less wind.

B)

Oh, and the sky is ricidulously blue ...... and the sunsets are stunning ... and the sea is nice and warm and still (and shallow) .... lots of wildlife in the suburbs .... huge variety of locally grown fresh food ..... oh, and you can drive the Great Ocean Road from Adelaide to Melbourne, widely believed to be one of the greatest coastal trips in the world.... :(

It is thriving and pretty... . :lol:

B)

Oh, and the sky is ricidulously blue ...... and the sunsets are stunning ... and the sea is nice and warm and still (and shallow) .... lots of wildlife in the suburbs .... huge variety of locally grown fresh food ..... oh, and you can drive the Great Ocean Road from Adelaide to Melbourne, widely believed to be one of the greatest coastal trips in the world.... :(

So you hate it then. Not. I also thought Adelaide was a hidden gem. I'm a bit too old for clubbing at 35, but I did see Robbie Williams is going to be there in Dec, am I right? I went to see him here in Dbn at Easter and it was amazing.

I see you are from Hilton. We are going there in 3 or 4 week's time, I think. If you want anything picked up & stuck in our container feel free to ask, I will fetch it if it can fit in a car...

I don't like Pretoria because there is nothing to do here. No sea, beach, hills, concerts, wine farms, festivals... we can go to the Voortrekker Monument but I went there when I was 10. We can go & see the statue of Chief Tshwane, but I saw in on the internet already because someone vandalised his loincloth. . We can go to Paul Kruger's house, but we went there for a school project already and it looks the same as it did 100 years ago. Other than that it's Malls, restaurants, and golf clubs (I'm a cr@p golfer).

So, ja. Roll on Adelaide. ;)

Bye, Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn

Thanks for the offer, but we left Hilton a long time ago and have no more ties there.... :(

Adelaide gets all the big acts who travel round Australia, plus all the musicals, ballet and next year the Cirque Du soleil :lol: Robbie is coming yes, although I'm not a fan. More looking forward to Eric Clapton and Red Hot Chilli Peppers next year... B)

Hi Bronwyn

Thanks for the offer, but we left Hilton a long time ago and have no more ties there.... :blush:

Adelaide gets all the big acts who travel round Australia, plus all the musicals, ballet and next year the Cirque Du soleil ;) Robbie is coming yes, although I'm not a fan. More looking forward to Eric Clapton and Red Hot Chilli Peppers next year... :ilikeit:

OK! I like them too. I have a very wide music collection, however I think we need a bit more culture in terms of ballet & art! My car sounds more like a party bus when the kids get their way with the CD choice. Crazy Frog has been heard, I'm ashamed to admit. :blush:

Chat soon, Bronwyn

Indeed, Adeliade is a excellent large country town. I dont know how it can be referred to as dying ;) because it sure is not. I travel to various cities in Australia for work and must say I prefer Adelaide by far. Unless one enjoy a life of hectic traffic and pace, then i suppose you might find the more easy going life here in Adelaide not to your liking. Plenty to do and see here, from a nigh out, stunning beaches, fishing, nature, wine etc - there is something for everyone here :ilikeit: There is a boom coming to South Australia over the next few years, defence contracts and mining being the main drivers. Sound like a dying place ? I don't think so !

So, like the add says - where the bloody hell are you ?

See you here :blush:

Proud Adelaidian :blush:

• 1 month later...

Hi Bronwyn,

You cannot have 2nd thoughts about Adelaide. :holy: From the sound of it, I am convinced that I'll like it and so will you. I can now understand why so many people also compare Adelaide to George.

I can't wait to see Adelaide for myself, but I know that one's attitude will play a major role and you must also choose your attitude towards a place.

Hope to see you in Adelaide in March 2007, but we will make a plan to obviously see you and Steven before you leave SA for Adelaide.

See you soon! ;)

Pippa

Hi Bronwyn,

You cannot have 2nd thoughts about Adelaide. :holy: From the sound of it, I am convinced that I'll like it and so will you. I can now understand why so many people also compare Adelaide to George.

I can't wait to see Adelaide for myself, but I know that one's attitude will play a major role and you must also choose your attitude towards a place.

Hope to see you in Adelaide in March 2007, but we will make a plan to obviously see you and Steven before you leave SA for Adelaide.

See you soon! :blush:

Pippa

Thanks Pippa for drawing my threads together, as you may be able to tell I am an IT idiot!!! ;)

Bye, Bronwyn

My honest take on Adelaide (just to add to the confusion... :ilikeit: ) - I personally don't think that it would be my first choice of city to live in. You can not really form an informed opinion from visiting a city a few times, as visiting it and living there - or in any city - are 2 very different things BUT, from what I've seen & experienced, it would not be my first choice (for myself). That said, I must add that Adelaide does have a certain charm about it and 1.2 million ppl already living there can not all be wrong! (In fact, my brother lives there and he is quite happy where he is. He did however express his concerns about the huge difference in job opportunities and salaries for similar positions when compared to Sydney & Melbourne....) I personally like the "vibe" of Sydney, which I have not experienced in Adelaide (or Perth), but that's me. Many ppl born in Adelaide return there after years of living in other cities in Australia - something's making them want to go back....

What I'm trying to say is this: Just like Sydney, or Perth, or Durban or Hong Kong is not everyone's cuppa, Adelaide might not be the place where you'd want to spend the rest of your life - for SOME of us. You might be perfectly happy living in Adelaide but (worse case) if you don't like it there, you can always relocate to another city. Don't wreck your brain about which city to choose and if you DON'T have a choice, don't get influenced by what you "hear" about the city you go to, as everyone's experience is different because we are all different ppl with different requirements & needs for where we want to live.

Another thing to remember (when choosing a city to live) is not to fantasise about the postcard images you see. We don't all live under the Sydney Harbour bridge and see the sunsets over the Opera House from our backyards. In fact, we live in the suburbs where life is very much the same as any other suburbia (in any other city) - taking kids to school, buying groceries, doing the laundry..... We have to drive 40 minutes to see the bridge and all the rest of it and to enjoy the city lights reflecting in the water...... I don't need the bridge to be happy, but the fact that I'm part of this city does. It's all about "belonging"......