Retirement in Afrikaans

conroys

Hi,

I wasn't sure if I should put this in one or 2 posts, because I have different questions, but they are related. So let me first scetch the picture and then ask some questions:

We are currently doing the paperwork to move to Australia, but would like to get our parents over as well in a year or so.

My parents are 60 and 58 and we will try to get them over on a contributary sponsored parent visa. The issue is that they are not sure that they would want to go.

Some of their concerns are:

1. They have always been very independant and as a matter of pride would rather stay in South Africa than become a 'burden' for their children. Even though we view their safety and being close to their family as the main concern.

2. My mother had been in a car accident a number of years ago and got some brain damage in the area that 'create' language. She has recovered from most of that and has no problems with communication in Afrikaans, and can read, hear and understand English fluently, but cannot speak or write english and it is unlikely that she would be able to in future.

So, my questions are:

1. Is it worthwile to look at any other visas than the contributory sponsored parent visa (143), or should we focus only on that?

2. Based on their wish to be independant, but also the reality that they will probably become dependant in future, are there any retirement villages in Adelaide where they can still be independant at first, but also receive care later on if it becomes a requirement?

3. To provide assurance of support, you need to proof a certain minimum income. Where can I find this threshold?

4. Would my mother be able to adapt without being able to speak english? I know it is a difficuilt question to answer, but I am interested in some of your experiences or ideas. Things like: afrikaans communities in Adelaide or your experiences of parents that are not fluent in english, etc. Anything positive or negative will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jaco

Hi Jaco

As far as I can remember as we have my mum-in-law here on the Contributory Parental , to give assurance you need to have TWO years of assessed tax returns where your income is over $40 000 per annum.

My Mum-in-law is in a Care facility here where there are three steps of care. Independent-in their own cottage but access to the dining room and nurses. Low Care(Like my Mum-in-law is) Where she has a room and a en suite bathroom. She is dressed and bathed daily and assisted in virtually everything- and then into Hi-Care. This is like the SA frail Care. The care is outstanding.

Personally I think your parents are still to young for this kind of environment.

My neighbours here on the Gold Coast are in their sixties. They immigrated five years ago and lead an active life with MANY friends and golfing evety day.

Hope I could help a bit.

Thanks QG,

I hear what you're saying about them being to young. It's just that we don't know what the situation will be 2 years from now and we would like to know what the options are. If you are faced with an unknown situation, you tend to look at 'worst case' scenarios. If you can deal with them, even better if it doesn't become a reality...

But I totally agree as long as they can and want to live in a normal house, we'll be happy for them... :lol:

Can anyone comment on the viability of living in Australia if you cannot speak english? This may be a show-stopper for them?

Regards.

Jack

English is of course the official language in Australia but Afrikaans is officially recognised by the Australian Government as a community language, ie: There are significant "New Australians" whose home language is Afrikaans for it to be recognised as a minority language. Immigrants can get an additional 5 points on their application if they are fluent in a community language. SABC and Kyk-net and other Afrikaans medium TV show can be obtained via the internet, not to mention streaming radio. Of course it would be optimal is she were conversant in English, but I've yet to meet an Aussie who would discriminate against a native Afrikaans speaker struggling with English. (If only our own government was that accommadating)