Might have a sponsor

v1nc3nt

Hi All

I have just found a company on the Gold Coast (Ashmore) willing to sponsor me a 457 visa, but I have a million questions!! I hope I might get a few answers (or advice ;) )

They are offering me the following as a starting salary:

Initial Salary is $53000 plus car plus superannuation (9%) plus bonus

(average last year was $4400)

Now the questions:

1. Is this a salary that one could survive on (as i would rather "survive'' in Oz the Die in SA)

2. Does anyone know anything about ashmore?

3. What docs would re needed for the visa?

4. How long is the processing time for this kind of visa?

5. Should I shout for joy now......... Ahh what the hell>>>>> HEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :P

thanks in advance for all the help

Unfortunately I can't help you with your questions .... just want to say .... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! ;)

Vincent,

First:- Congratulations!

Second:- I can only attempt to answer query number 1:-

What work do you do? - $53,000 plus car, while not exactly wonderful, is very "survivable" on the Gold Coast for a single person, or a couple..... But if you intend bringing up a family and paying off a home loan, it might prove to be a bit difficult. - Not impossible, but difficult. Your partner / wife would have to work a bit as well.

For what it is worth, most employers take a car as being worth an additional $10,000 to $15,000 on to the top of your salary. So it is indeed a good perk..... Provided your company pick up the FBT (Fringe Benefits Tax). - Most do!

The only additional advice that I can give is "Go for it! It can only improve from there!"

Cheers

Larry

Ashmore is a suburb only 7km's from Surfers Paradise! What a bargain!!

All the stats on Surfers Paradise here : http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/fr...P_310053587.xls

Hi All

Thanks for the replies.

I realise the salary is not the greatest. I do have a family, but to be honest, we are willing to make the move, even if it means only survivng, for the first year. My kids a still young (7, 3, and 4 months), and should be able to adjust

The position is as a network support engineer, It is more lower mid level position( although i have a more senior position this side), but I am willing to take the chance and get to Australia, I am hoping that after a few months work, I might be able to advance to a more senior position ( and better salary), or hopefully get a better job. All the jobs i have applied for I have had positive responses from the people wanting to know when I can start, but not many willing to sponsor, unless I was in Aus already.

I am hoping to come for the first 3 months, and then get the family over.

Budget will be tight, no illusions..... but the benifits of actually being in OZ will outway this (hopefully ;) )

Does anyone know what my prospects will be in the IT industry in Brisbane/Gold Coast area once I am there?

Oh, forgot to tell you about the visa - we are here on an employer sponsored 457. It was granted in about 2 weeks! ;)

Hi V,

I would suggest you come over as a family if you possibly could, as this would save you having double costs. It is also better for you to have support in a new environment, and for the both of you to go into this new life together.

You have the right attitude to be able to survive on a smaller budget, and the neccesities are mostly cheap. You have small children, so it would be better for your wife to stay at home, as child-care is very expensive, unless she can find a high paying very fulfilling job. I just find it such a privilege to be able to spend time with the kids in this relaxed atmosphere. Please remember that this is only my opinion, and you should take what you need and discard what is not relevant to you. It is important that you find out from this employer if they are going to cover your health care costs, or if you have pay for it yourselves.

Unfortunately I cannot tell you anything about Ashmore.

The most important documents you will need for a 457 visa is the following: Unabridged birth certificates for you and your wife and all children. Unabridged marriage certificate. You will have to go for medicals, but the company will let you know when your visa has progressed to that stage. Passports. If your company needs your qualifications translated (if they are in Afriaans) you need to do that. Will let you know if I remember anything else.

After your medicals are in, it can take as fast as three days. This visa is usually very quick!

Shout bro, shout!!!!!! :censored::unsure: If a company says they are wlling to sponsor you, they are serious. Companies have to pay an amount to the government to be able to sponsor you. They go through a lenghty process to be able to offer you such a position.

Yell if you have any more questions.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Lucky Fish!

Ashmore is on the Northern end of the Gold Coast and part of my stomping ground.

Your salary is livable but no great luxuries.

Please look at www.realestate.com.au and look at rentals in the following suburbs:(all around Ashmore)

Parkwood

Helensvale

Arundel

Labrador

Pacific Pines

I think you will find a home to rent at about $300 -350 per week.DO NOT rent anything that is not airconditioned.

Two outstanding private schools in the area: AB Paterson in Arundel

Trinity Lutheran College in Ashmore.

As your kids are still small I would suggest a good state primary school:Kids start school earlier here so the 5 year old will be going to the PREP year.

Arundel State primary is good.

Schooling for people on a 457 in Queensland is free.

The Gold Coast is a really good place to start. Dont let this slip between your fingers!