Graphic Designer

Nicci

Hi guys.

I always thought working for an ozzie boss would be a bit hard, but I never thought that they would really be that bad.

I got fired from my job because I am pregnant, can you believe that?

I have decided to do my own graphic design from home,

I supply business cards, flyers, calendars, letterheads, compliment slips, magnets, brochures, portfolio folders, and much more,

basically anything that needs printing on I will be able to supply, and at a really good rate.

I would really appreciate any kind of support from anyone out there who would have buying power from a company or has their own business.

Please do not hessitate to contact

Thanks to all who are interested

Regards

Nicci

Edited by Dedrei
Please contact Dedrei if you would like to advertise on the forum

May it be a blessing in disguise for you. There is a lot of money to be made having your own business in Australia and great flexibility with kids.

Edited by Sam

Surely you can sue them for this. They can't just fire you because you are pregnant, there are laws that protect pregnant woman in Australia.

I know I can sue them, I have done some homework, but then it will black list me in my small industry, and i might not get another job here at all.

It is a bit tricky!

Now I'm concerned !!! I have applied for a job here in Mackay and is 6 1/2 months pregnant !! Will they discriminate (sp?) against me ???

Not all Australian bosses are as bad as mine was, maybe you will have better luck.

I hold thumbs for you

Anyway congrats on the new arrival!!

Hi Nicci

I'm also a graphic designer (still in Cape Town). I am in the magazine industry, but up until Feb I was freelancing from home as well. I joined an interational group called BNI (Business Network International). There are hundreds of groups around the world, including Australia

http://www.bni.com.au/index_main.asp

We used to meet once a week for breakfast and network - giving and receiving business. I got a hell of a lot of work out of that group. The kinds of people who belong are all small businesses - like accountants, printers, estate agents, caterers, beauticians etc etc. (just some examples of people who were in my group).

And it's amazing how many people need new logos, business cards, brochures etc etc. I'm still doing work for some of them even though I've left the group and am now at Cosmo.

It really may be well worth looking into. You can go as a visitor a few times before joining to check it out. You can also try out a few different groups in your city.

Worth a go!

Best of luck with it...

Leigh

Not all Australian bosses are as bad as mine was, maybe you will have better luck.

I hold thumbs for you

Anyway congrats on the new arrival!!

Thanks, I need both your thumbs !!

When is your baba due ?

Thanks Leigh

I will try it out!

Baby is due on the 25th November

Congrats and good luck !!!

We are in the "tropics" and I have only worn a jersey twice. DH sleeps in winter pj's while I'm still in the summer ones !!! Being on "wrong" side of 30 :wub: , my body just does not want to play along !!! But she is healthy and is already kicking my insides all over the place. :cry::(

Have you tried contacting your local printers ? To advertise that you are freelancing now ?

Good luck.

Leza

Yes I have made good contacts at a printing house, and they have given me excellent rates.

But I am going to try to advertise anywhere I can, I really need the business.

So if anyone wants some really good service and good rates, Please don't hesitate to contact me

post-6421-1214561421.jpg

Hi Nicci

I'm sure it will all work out for the best. I too am horrified to hear you were fired, as you would recall the media would have had a field day with such a story in SA. It's shocking to be treated like that in this day and age. I am no feminist but busy with some research on glass ceilings and discrimination against mothers in the media and it is a sad realisation that even today we are oppressed. Our differences should be celebrated and accommodated not used as a means to keep us down. Even the poor pay when it comes to some freelance work opportunities is due to this, because there will always be women who want flexibility so it is easy for companies to exploit and pay low wages for part timers and freelancers. Of course there are many exceptions.

Nicci, I am sure this will turn out to your advantage and if it goes really well (which is hugely possible) you will probably say in a few years that this was the best thing that happened to your career! I've heard that said many times after retrenchments.

Keep your chin up and don't stress. The work will come in, eventually so much you be more busy than ever. Take it from one freelancer (writer) to another.

Thank you for all your wonderful words of encouragement I think I really need it at this point.