Pandjies winkel/ Pawnshops or second hand dealers?

Pine and Riana Pienaar

What is the process/approach with second hand goods in Australia? Here there is an abundance of pawnshops and you can fairly easily get rid of furniture/appliances in fact almost anything other than your mother-in-law (not such a big demand in the second hand market).

We have also found that bargain hunting is fun from time to time. You get some fairly unique items, sometimes really beautiful or antique items. If you search carefully you can actually furnish a home nicely as a start and over time replace what is needed. This also costs you a craction of what you would otherwise have paid.

Is there a similar situation in Australia?

Someone mentioned that the approach is rather to put your stuff out on the pavement and people just enquire and take from there. If this is the case then obiously there is not going to be a big secondhand market.

I am contemplating a move with crates, buying second hand initially and over time replacing everythimg with good quality new stuff. (At the moment we anyway have mainly the hand-me-downs of the whole family).

Looking forward to hear from you.

this is interesting. I LOVE second hand shops and my hubby cringes every time we pass one as he knows i am going to go in and buy something regardless. It is part of my eclectic style and i would hate to have a house full of new boring things! So will look out for responses!

Al

Pine and Riana,

I think you will be in seventh heaven then:)

There are plenty of charity shops here (often called op-shops). There are about 5 in a 15km drive from me. They are run by Salvation Army (Salvo's) and other like institutions. Everything is donated to them and then they sell it for next to nothing.Even our local dump runs a second hand shop. There is also cash converters here as well, but not so much of the no name pawn shop down the road. Just today I went on got my son 2 books, brand new wooden blocks in a trolley, 2 videos and puzzles for $15. We also bought our couch for $ 35. Today I saw a 5 piece couch set for $35, a bit dirty, but after a clean could certainly tide you over till you are earning dollars and can buy your dream lounge suite.

There is also bulk collections, which means everyone dumps stuff outside their house and its basically if you can haul it you can keep it (I got my 7 piece pation set and a tonka truck for my son that way). I know someone who has found a fridge and IKEA chairs, I have seen bicycles, chairs, TV's etc. And of course there are the NUMEROUS garage sales. Every Sat in the local paper there are tons of ads for garage sales all over Perth. And last but not least their is a website called freecycle, where people advertise things they no longer want in the perth area. You just have to email them that youwould like it and if you are the first, arrange to pick it up.

If you like the auction circuit you might try ebay and limit your search to perth so you can collect if you win the bid.

So you can see that you can definately furnish your house this way!!

candice

Allison

I have to laugh at your husbands response. I wonder what he is going to think when make him stop at the side of the road to dig in the piles of junk someone has thrown out in search of that illusive treasure hahaha :ilikeit:

You definately won't have a boring house with all the options out here

Candice

There is also bulk collections, which means everyone dumps stuff outside their house and its basically if you can haul it you can keep it (I got my 7 piece pation set and a tonka truck for my son that way). I know someone who has found a fridge and IKEA chairs, I have seen bicycles, chairs, TV's etc. And of course there are the NUMEROUS garage sales. Every Sat in the local paper there are tons of ads for garage sales all over Perth.

candice

Candice,

Just a word of caution, apparently the stuff that is put out for bulk collection, once on the pavement belongs to the council.

The appropriate thing is actually to ask the home owner before you just load the stuff into your car. You could get a fine!!!!!

Thats just a little bit of usless info!!!!

Allison

I have to laugh at your husbands response. I wonder what he is going to think when make him stop at the side of the road to dig in the piles of junk someone has thrown out in search of that illusive treasure hahaha :ilikeit:

You definately won't have a boring house with all the options out here

Candice

I know that he is going to die! I will never be able to resist the temptation! I hate to see beautiful things unloved. Problem is that i often see beauty in things others dont (including him!), also buy things with grand plans to repair, repaint and do a martha stewart and never do -sigh - so much junk and so little time!

Al

Hi,

We've just bought all second hand stuff in Melbourne for our entire house for $4200. See my thread under LSD & Arrivals, Topic Our first week in Melbourne.

We bought all our stuff through Gumtree and Ebay. It is actually fun to shop on line and you get massive bargains.

Cheers

Tanja