SA Teachers

MelG

HI, Hope someone can help me here. I have a friend - she is a qualified teacher and has been teaching for approx.8yrs. What is the best route for her to consider? Are SA Teachers Diploma's recognised for immigration purposes.

Anybody out there that has immigrated on their teaching merit?

Pointers and advice would be much appreciated.

Rgds

Mel

post-5933-1214153427.gif

Hi Mel

We're busy with the process and we will probably lodge our 175 visa tomorrow. The first step is to do the academic IELTS, because she will need the IELTS results for her skills assessment. We did our skills assessment through Teaching Australia and received positive feedback three weeks ago. My husband also has a teaching diploma and there was no problem. The Teaching Australia website is very clear on all the documents that should be handed in for assessment.

Sonja

This was interesting as my sister in law is a teacher (primary). She has been teaching for many years. I was told by the agent that she cannot get in until she has done her fourth year and that they will not take her with the three year diploma. Is this true? Can i hear from other teachers out there?

Thanks

Allison

Hi Allison

Below is a quotation from Teaching Australia's website wrt qualifications:

1. Educational

Completion of study assessed by Teaching Australia as comparable to at least four years full-time higher * education level study (or part-time equivalent) in Australia, which results in a qualification (or qualifications) comparable to the education level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher.

2. Professional

As part of the educational criterion above, completion of an initial teacher education qualification of at least one year full-time (or part-time equivalent) study at the higher *education level that includes at least 45 working days of supervised teaching practice in your nominated occupation.

According to this criteria, I don't think a 3 year diploma will be enough.

Hi

Look at the following 2 websites if your friend wants to come to Western Australia.

The DET (Dept of Education and Training) is sponsoring on 457s and will sponsor for PR if you have worked 2 years.

Western Australia College of Teaching

DET

You need to have WACOT registration to work in WA (Private schools) and

WACOT and DET registration in order to work in state schools.

Look at the "overseas teachers section" on the DET website.

Frenchy

For all teaching position all over Oz one needs a 4 uear qualification at least.

I believe that in South Australia they may register you Provisionally, providing that you obtain your 4th year within a set period of time.

Dax

Frenchy is right, there is a sponsorship programme in WA, but in order to be eligible to teach in WA you still need a 4 year qualification as well as a minimum of band 8 for each of the sections of the Academic IELTS. Also, the sponsorship programme is for UK teachers, but maybe it's worth the try.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I received a job offer from a private school in WA. I do have a 8 band score for my ielts test. I know I must register at WACOT now....but do I need to do the skills assessment with teaching australia....dont want to waste money.

Appreciate your assistance

BG

Contact WACOT and find out their policy on this matter. However, if WACOT has the same stance as South Oz, then i think that you can bypas Teaching Autralia at this stage. You will be eligible to teach in WA only, but find out first.

Cheers,

Dax

Thanks Dax

WACOT said I dont need Teaching Australia registration to register with them, I know wonder if DIAC will require skills assessment for 475 visa, will have to do some research.

BG

Hi BG

Just another thing I was thinking about. I suppose you would apply for PR once you are here and maybe you must just make sure if you then should do a skills assessment through TA. The reason for saying this is because it was so difficult for me to get all the necessary documentation ready for TA (with our current very efficient Department of Education :ilikeit: ) that it would be even more difficult to get it once you are in Oz.

Good luck!

What subjects are you teaching?

• 1 month later...
Hi BG

Just another thing I was thinking about. I suppose you would apply for PR once you are here and maybe you must just make sure if you then should do a skills assessment through TA. The reason for saying this is because it was so difficult for me to get all the necessary documentation ready for TA (with our current very efficient Department of Education :lol: ) that it would be even more difficult to get it once you are in Oz.

Good luck!

What subjects are you teaching?

We also send in my hubby's quals to teaching Australia. We're searching for work - he is a primary schools teacher/dept. principal. We've been waiting since the 18th July.... Any idea how we can find work ASAP for him. Most people say, Oz don't sponsor primary school teachers at this stage, but somewhere someone has to have a vacancy waiting for him.... We've been busy since Feb 2008, and the waiting is getting to us. We haven't even lodge our 175 visa, yet, because we have to sort out all the other little things FIRST.... ai ai ai - frustrating/.....

Hi

Hope this helps...

We have applied for the PR subclass 176 Skills Sponsored Visa (state sponsored)

Our process was a bit deurmekaar... our agent not quite sure of the process, but was very thorough in his research... cool guy...

My wife is the principle applicant... (phew thank GOD) she wrote Academic EILTS - scored 9.00 (no wonder I don't understand her half the time)

Four years of study minimum, this is correct with Teaching Australia... essential docs required... All qualifications... and unabridged Birth certificates..

Teaching Australia, very efficient...

Next step, register with the relevant Teaching Authority... depending which state you intend going to... they would require... (in our case State of Victoria) Victoria Institute of Teaching.... see link.. Police Clearance Certificate required with application.

http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/content.asp?Document_ID=1

You have to be a fully subscribed member... this will give you the passport or the access to teach in Victoria. No school will consider you without this card.

The next step is to apply for State Sponsorship... State of Victoria will not even look at your application if the above two items are not in order. They are extremely efficient and you get a response within ten days. This also gives you points and priority processing with your main application. My wife has 20years teaching experience and she has three degrees... I think this helped...

Once the State sponsorship is approved, you may now apply for the ever popular (main application) the 176 PR visa. ensure that you have all your docs.. submit form 80 together with main app...

The last step is keep all your fingers crossed and pray for a positive response...

This is where we are... fiingers crossed and praying... we did our medicals yesterday...

Hope this helps...

Feel free to contact us anytime.

Joefromsa

Hi

Hope this helps...

We have applied for the PR subclass 176 Skills Sponsored Visa (state sponsored)

Teaching Australia, very efficient...

Next step, register with the relevant Teaching Authority... depending which state you intend going to... they would require... (in our case State of Victoria) Victoria Institute of Teaching.... see link.. Police Clearance Certificate required with application.

http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/content.asp?Document_ID=1

You have to be a fully subscribed member... this will give you the passport or the access to teach in Victoria. No school will consider you without this card.

The next step is to apply for State Sponsorship... State of Victoria

This is where we are... fiingers crossed and praying... we did our medicals yesterday...

Hope this helps...

Feel free to contact us anytime.

Joefromsa

Hi JoeFromSA

I can confirm everything you said - also going the exact same route as you.

TA is very efficient and it was the same with the state sponsorship and VIT -although I used to be a teacher some 15 yrs ago I also got my VIT card and i am registered as an Experienced teacher.

I also know that the gippsland region of Victoria will sponsor teachers ...not sure if it depends on what subject you teach.

the same goes for the Western Australia (perth) - but also not in the city but somewhere in the country. But if you are in a hurry you can go that route. It is a 457 visa.. I think.

Retha

I see that the government of Western Australia are sponsoring Teachers. They will be at the expo in Midrand in September.

Have a look at the website and maybe submit his CV to them. Give the expo a visit too.

www.expo-australia.com

I found this link today.

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/careers/te...plyinginter.htm

At the bottom of the page is a link for sponsoring overseas teachers.

http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/hrweb/careers...sApplicants.htm

Hope it helps.

I am considering applying for the 'change of career' thing they are opening in September. I am here with hubby and I don't have a teaching qualification. It seems to work like an apprenticeship.