New MacBook Pro

Dugong

So I just got a new Mac and man, I will never go back to windows machine - been wanting to change for a while...

(PSS Hendie thanks for the help!!)

Who else is using Mac?

Me!! Me!! Me!!

First I got the macbook... then got the iMac desktop... then... my son kinda hi-jacked the macbook so I have just bought the new MacBook Pro!!

Oh my word!!!! I'm also in love! There are not enough words...

And you are perfectly correct... once you've had a mac... you can simply never go back to a pc! It's just in another class altogether!

Enjoy fellow Mac'er!

My youngest daughter got sold on Macs a year or two ago at University by a few of her mates there.

Macs have good graphics and good sound + are a bit less susceptible to crashing as well as being fairly free of viruses that do the rounds.

PCs have heaps more programs on offer that do stuff from improving your photos to burning CDs / DVDs.

My daughter got given a PC laptop (ASUS) at the start of her Uni studies last year, which she sold to her aunt and put the cash against a new MacBook laptop at the end of last year.

She's been working out of her MacBook laptop since.

I haven't heard any whinges about it . . . . which is a bit unusual for her!

I got nagged to get a Mac when my 6 year old PC desktop (which was that old it had a clockwork slot in the back to wind it up!) died.

I've been on it for about 2 months now and am impressed with how easy it is to download my photos, put movies on my 30Gb iPod, and do bits and pieces that were a bit of a nightmare on my old clockwork PC.

The only whinge I have is that some programs that come for free for PCs, such as burning CDs / DVDs ("Nero Burning"), you have to pay for with Macs (Roxio "Toast") . . . $149!

Ouch!

Hey Bob

All I need to do to burn a CD or DVD is pop a blank one in the drive... drag the items into the folder and click "burn". Have you tried that?

I recently invested in two Pc laptops (Packard Bell). It cost me quite a small fortune. Today I had to send one back to the suppliers for repairs - something wrong with the hardware. How I wish I could afford a Mac! It's a pity they are so darn expensive and they don't have much support here in South Africa!

How I wish I could afford a Mac! It's a pity they are so darn expensive and they don't have much support here in South Africa!

I saw the mac book for R12000 at Clearwater Mall ishop. When I compared apples with apples and checked the specs against an Intel machine. the Mac was a better buy.

But pity they start at R12000 or $1400

I am really wanting to run a machine on ubuntu. A friend of mine is running it and he says the same - that he will ever go back to a Microsoft product. He says ubuntu is 3 times faster than XP and 5 times faster than Vista.

Any one running Ubuntu?

I'm also on a Macbook Pro (for about a year now) and I'll never buy another PC. I've used Ubuntu (and the other flavours of Linux), but Mac is just more polished and everything "just works".

I must say that I am running Ubuntu in a virtual machine under VMWare Fusion for the times that I need to use Linux.

One can also install the new Ubuntu in a Windows folder and choose the desired OS on boot. Suspend is broken in this mode though.

Personally, I find it difficult to justify a Mac laptop because the performance will be nowhere near this .

MACS RULE!!! Can't compare to PCs.

We have a few macs, one of the really old types I bought for R50 when our company changed over to PCs, I think because of the huge cost of buying new macs for a massive staff countrywide. This old thing just kept on going but then I did not use it for a number of months and I think its screen has died. I was using an imac and hubby has a G4. Recently bought the macbook though for work purposes and in anticipation of needing it for the trip to aus. Hubby is a designer and uses the Macbook Pro but sadly, it is owned by his boss!

That's my 2 cents worth, I really dig the apple mac adverts with the two guys - MAC and PC. Hilariously, funny and true!

I think once you have worked on an apple mac you only get irritated and frustrated with the way PCs operate. Yes Bob, macs are wonderfully virus proof and they don't crash like computers.

Great to hear there are so many Macers out there! I still have the 2 windows lap tops, my wife uses one and my daughter inherited mine, but I will be looking to replace hers with the Mac desktop - they are just brilliant!!! like the 22 and 24 inch screens.

Omzig, your right, the macs are a little expensive for the spec you get, but in counter, I just like the overall package and interoperability between devices...

One of the toys I will be getting later in the year is the new Iphone (3g). Don't know if you guys have had a chance to play with the first gen phone, but WOW again!!!

Anyway, I need to win the lottery soon!!!

Edited by Lion King