CRIME EXPO SA TO BECOME CRIME EXPO AZANIA?

ChrisV

http://www.crimexposouthafrica.org/?q=node/1878

Posted: August 25, 2006 13:35pm

SOUTH AFRICA - The Azanian Youth Organisation should pursue its campaign to change South Africa's name to Azania through Parliament, the department of arts

and culture has recommended.

The department's deputy director general, Themba Wakashe, was responding to an Azayo letter to minister Pallo Jordan which said South Africa's current name reflected the legacy of colonialism. Azayo said in the letter that during the liberation struggle there had

been a common understanding among all the liberation movements that "as soon as we are free the country would be renamed Azania".

It was also the name written on the gravestones of Black Consciousness leader Steve Biko and 1976 Soweto uprising victim Hector Petersen. In his reply, which Azayo released to the media on Thursday, Wakashe

said "juristic" names as opposed to those of geographical features and human settlements fell outside the mandate of the SA Geographical Names

Council, which makes recommendations to the minister.

"I recommend, therefore that Azayo should initiate a parliamentary process through Azapo's MP, the honourable Mr Pandelani Nefholovodwe in order to get the name of South Africa to be changed to Azania, as you request."

Azayo is the youth wing of Azapo, the Azanian People's Organisation. Azayo spokesperson Sibongile Somdaka said on Thursday evening that Azayo had completed a "summary report" on the issue, including the

department's response, and would be forwarding it to Azapo as its mother body. "We are giving the campaign to Azapo to take it further," he said. "They've been playing a very supportive role."

He anticipated this would include taking up the issue in Parliament.

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi there ChrisV,

I found the article and the comments that followed on the site you mentioned interesting. Thanks for sharing that. With regard to South Africa becoming Azania, I could relate to parts of the comment made by Gatvol from Durbs :

South Africa was a prosperous and safe country that once existed at the Southern tip of Africa. The corrupt, crime infested, third world hell hole that has replaced it is simply not worthy of the name "South Africa"

Gatvol

Durban

Geel Gillie pointed out that Azania means - The land of black people. I think it might be a refreshing change if the government could be honest for once and changing the former South Africa to Azania, could be a start... Isn't their ultimate aim to create a country for black ppl ? Sad that such trivialities (naming places) can keep so many men and women in top positions busy, while thousands of aids orphans are dying of hunger, thousands of women are raped, innocent ppl are killed daily, children are going without schooling/ food/ basic healthcare, etc. Sad, sad, sad.

Love

SS

<_<

http://www.crimexposouthafrica.org/?q=node/1878

Posted: August 25, 2006 13:35pm

SOUTH AFRICA - The Azanian Youth Organisation should pursue its campaign to change South Africa's name to Azania through Parliament, the department of arts

and culture has recommended.

The department's deputy director general, Themba Wakashe, was responding to an Azayo letter to minister Pallo Jordan which said South Africa's current name reflected the legacy of colonialism. Azayo said in the letter that during the liberation struggle there had

been a common understanding among all the liberation movements that "as soon as we are free the country would be renamed Azania".

It was also the name written on the gravestones of Black Consciousness leader Steve Biko and 1976 Soweto uprising victim Hector Petersen. In his reply, which Azayo released to the media on Thursday, Wakashe

said "juristic" names as opposed to those of geographical features and human settlements fell outside the mandate of the SA Geographical Names

Council, which makes recommendations to the minister.

"I recommend, therefore that Azayo should initiate a parliamentary process through Azapo's MP, the honourable Mr Pandelani Nefholovodwe in order to get the name of South Africa to be changed to Azania, as you request."

Azayo is the youth wing of Azapo, the Azanian People's Organisation. Azayo spokesperson Sibongile Somdaka said on Thursday evening that Azayo had completed a "summary report" on the issue, including the

department's response, and would be forwarding it to Azapo as its mother body. "We are giving the campaign to Azapo to take it further," he said. "They've been playing a very supportive role."

He anticipated this would include taking up the issue in Parliament.

To hop onto a similar kinda topic - re the NSA (new SA) and all its challenges and changes to do with crime etc - not sure if anyone has come across the blogs - www.southafricaiscrap.blogspot.com and also the sister blog deathofjohannesburg.blogspot.com - they certainly make enlightening reading and viewing. Have been in UK so not sure if this has already been mentioned before but have just done my daily reading tonight so thought I would recommend anyhow!

ggd.

Quite frankly, I'm a little surprised that South Africa hasn't had a "face life" and been called Azania before now.

Rhodesia got called Zimbabwe almost from day One of Bobby Mugabe's liberation, Salisbury and a host of other townships getting their facelife within a year or two of liberation. It was already called Harare when I visited for the first time in 1985 and strolled down Karl Marx Avenue, Samora Michel Drive, Lenin Square, etc.

I guess the ruling powers thought that the name changes would bring international investors in by the planeload!

That's Africa for ya!

You guys had better start getting used to being "Azanians" . . . . . . . just so that you feel more "connected" to the place and have that deep sense of "belonging" that white Zimbabweans have enjoyed.