The Wonders of Garlic

Guest Mauritz

Guest Mauritz

Garlic has been known for so many thousands of years that its origins are rather obscure. Thought to have come first from south-eastern Siberia - then spread to the Mediterranean countries where it became naturalised.

The raw juice was put on sterilised swabs during WW I and applied to wounds to prevent them turning septic. As we speak garlic isused in Chinese hospitals to treat pneumonia in children. Garlic poultices are placed on the upper back - reaching the lungs where it's antimicrobial activities take place. It is well known that if you rub raw garlic on the soles of your feet, that soon you'll be able to taste it in your mouth. Cows milk is known to 'affect' the lung's mucous membranes - in certain Asian countries milk is used 'to carry' garlic to the lungs.

Garlic is considered to have remarkable medicinal properties and has been long known for its penetrating quality and as a powerful antiseptic. It's known to contain vitamins A,B and C, as well as copper, sulphur, manganese, iron and calcium. In the past people have eaten it to cleanse the intestines, to help lower blood pressure, to expel worms, to ward off colds and to ease chest congestion - to alleviate rheumatism.

It is one of the most effective anti-microbial plants available to us, acting on bacteria, virusses and alimentary parasites. A previous professor of mine - is doing extensive research at the University of Southern Queensland on the antimicrobial properties of garlic. Amazing results.

Research this far indicates the following activities:

Antibacterial activity. Allicin in garlic inhibits the growth of Stahpylococcus, Streptococcus, Bacillus, Brucella and Vibria species - at low concentrates. What is interesting is that studies demonstrated garlic's efficacy in inhibiting the growth of bacteria that had become resistant to antibiotics.

Antifungal acitivity with the inhibition of Candida albicans as the most significant. Studies indicated garlic to be more potent than nystatin, gential violet and other antifungal agents. In a study in China garlic therapy was used effectively in the treatment of Cryptococal meningitis.

Antiviral effects. Demonstrated by the protection of mice from infection with intranasally inoculated influenza virus. In vitro, fresh garlic kill Herpes simplex types 1 and 2, parainfluenza virus type 3, vaccinia virus, vesicular stomatitis virus and human rhinovirus type 2.

Immune enhancing and anticancer effects. The famou Hippocrates prescribed the eating of garlic as treatment for cancer. Human populations studies today clearly show the anticancer effects of garlic. Garlic rates are the lowes where garlic consumption is the greatest. Garlic extracts and allicin displayed potent antitumour effects in animal studies. Human studies show that garlic inhibits the formation of nitrosamines (powerful cancer-causing compounds formed during digestion).

Cardiovascular effects. We all know about that one.

Garlic should be avoided by breast feeding women because of its adverse effect on the infant - we learned the hard way :ilikeit: . Garlic extracts should not be used in infants and in individuals suffering from low blood pressure and gastritis - so they say.

This is not a scientific paper. If you want to know more about the published studies and research - do the searches yourself - everything is available in medical, scientific and nutritional journals.

Let thy food be thy medicine :ilikeit:

Edited by Mauritz

I've also heard that it makes a good insect and bug repellent when mixed with water and used in a spray bottle and sprayed on plants. I haven't tried it so I can't say if it works or not. :ilikeit:

Mauritz, wat doen jy nou???

Is jy die nuwe campaign manager vir ons gieliefde Manto?

Wil jy haar vir nog 'n termyn minister van gesondheid he??? :offtopic::thumbdown:

Man, ek is lief vir knoffel. My vrou wil my vrek maak as ek daai reukie het. Maar ek kan dit nie weerstaan nie.

Lekker man. Daar 's nou een ding wat lekker is, en gesond is vir jou.

Guest Mauritz
Mauritz, wat doen jy nou???

Is jy die nuwe campaign manager vir ons gieliefde Manto?

Wil jy haar vir nog 'n termyn minister van gesondheid he??? :huh::ilikeit:

Yep, ek wil hulle almal sien rondloop met stringe knoffel om die nek in parlement - om die 'evil' denke weg te hou. :lol:

Yep, ek wil hulle almal sien rondloop met stringe knoffel om die nek in parlement - om die 'evil' denke weg te hou. :ilikeit:

Hulle moet net almal 'n shower vat voor die tyd, dan's hulle AIDS free...