NT Drivers License

tigs

Hi Guys

Could some one in the NT please advise: If on a 457 long stay business visa, do you need to convert to a NT drivers license or can you keep using your SA license in conjunction with an international permit?

Thanks

Dave

Tigs

You can use your South African lisence as long as it is valid. Only need to get a NT drivers lisence if time runs out on the SA one. When you decide to get your PR, you have 3 months to get a NT lisence. Do not waste your money getting an International Permit... Not valid in Oz.

Regards

Madelein

Hi There,

In WA you have three months to convert your licence. It is better to do it as soon as possible, as your drivers licence is seen as your main form of ID. Some finance companies, or insurance companies will not give you car finance or insurance if you do not have an Australian licence.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Yip, this apply in all states as far as I know. But better to find out from your Registry office. I have been through a lot of road blocks in Sydney/Canberra where I showed my SA lisence and they have accepted it -as long as it hasn't expired. You have to mention you are a temporary resident.

But I also have to agree with Dreamy - it just makes life better to have a Ozzie lisence. It is like an ID card, especially when you want to apply for things like a Credit Card etc. It counts as 70 points for the 100 point identification system (Same as a passport).

Regards

Madelein

Edited by Madelein

Thanks Madelein :)

I've already got my Aussie licence, we came on PR, but was just wondering how it works on the 457 visa. It's definitely better to get it ASAP anyway regardless, like you and Dreamy say it solves a lot of ID hassles.

umm...nope..I live in the NT and regardless of which visa you are on you have to convert your SA lisence within three months of arrival.

Thanks guys

I have read on one of the Oz traffic websites that you can drive on a foreign license and a 457 visa but I can't remember for where it was - it wasn't NT, not all areas are the same. The Website for NT driving rules doesn't mention it so I will have to find out when I get there. Will be on LSD trip at the end of Sept. Its a pain as I have various different codes and if converting they will only give you a standard car and bike license. A bit insulting actually. Here in Quebec you have to convert only if you stay on PR status, but they at least would give you the same codes.

Dave

Hi Dave, :holy:

I can only speak for WA, it does not matter which visa you are on, here you have three months to get an Aussie licence.

We are on 457, and were lucky to still be able to convert without rewriting the whole test. Some new people who landed here after the cut-off date, had to redo the whole licence. Wrote a test, got learners, drove with that for a few weeks, then had to go for a driving test before getting his licence. I'll have to ask if he got a full licence or just a P plate (did not see anything on the car though). He was not allowed to take possesion of his newly bought car until he could present an Aussie licence, but that was the same for us.

Greetings,

Dreamy

And yes converting to the NT liscence means writing a test for learners and then doing a practical test as well. I forgot to mention that. :holy: