On arrival accomodation

Steve

Well, we've got our visa's and are just waiting on our flights through IOM........We will be arriving in Melbourne on 15 November.

What is the best option around accomodation when we first arrive ? Those that have done it. Do we stay in a Hotel/B&B until we find a rental. How easy would it be to find a rental at that time of year (Christmas and all) ?

I would appreciate any advice.........

Yes I know, funny time of the year to arrive, but my wife's due date is the end of Jan 07, so we can't go any later.

Hi Steve,

We are unfortuantely not in Melbourne, but we also arrived in Australia just before Christmas. It is a magical time to spend in a new country. You will still be in "honeymoon" mode, and I think that makes your first Christmas in Aus very special. It did for us. We were amazed at everything, especially the freedom, and the huge choice in things to buy (not always a good thing :( ) And we did not miss the family so very much. I'm sure it will be a different affair this year :unsure:

Good luck for the trip, and the last few months of your wife's pregnancy.

Greetings

Dreamy

Edited by Dreamcatcher

Hi Steve

Somebody else asked me this question, I emailed them from work, I will try and remember and post a copy tomorrow morning. If I forget, just send me a pm.

Mara

Hi Steve

I did remember, as promised (I am growing old - so that is a miracle). Here is the information. How many are in your family? Maybe I can think of something else!

With regard to find a rental at that time of year, if there is something immediately available, you will be OK, as I would think that December is not a time when people would be intent on moving.

The best value for money would be to go into a Backpackers Hotel. I know in SA you would not be seen dead at one, but here they are the rave. Also, you do not have to share accommodation, you can get a double room with bath. Have a look here

http://www.vipbackpackers.com/regions/Melbourne.aspx (base backpackers is great, but again it is $95 for a double.)

http://www.needitnow.com.au/needitnow/needitnow.asp (you can book last minute but it must be within 14 days of your arrival)

http://www.wotif.com/ (same as above, but sometimes has different rates)

http://www.furnished-apartments.com.au/?gc...CFUs3GAodt2TdYQ (choose your dates, and I put in amount of $100 per night – there were many)

http://www.birches.com.au/

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/link.asp?fid=570131

Hope this information has helped you.

Mara

Thanks, that was just what I was looking for :holy:

It is just my wife and I, but I don't think we could do the backpacking accomodaction anymore. We'll look out for a townhouse or some similar furnished accomodation.

Edited by Steve

Hi Steve

I am glad that the info was what you were looking for. If there is anything else that I can assist with, please do not hesitate to ask here or send me a PM.

Mara

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

We have been in Melbourne for about 3 weeks now. We started out in a corporate apartment that my employer provided for 2 weeks. We had to shop around for something for after the first two weeks. We are looking to settle in a house in one of the suburbs when our container arrives, but needed somewhere to stay in the meanwhile.

We found that there are quite a lot of rental apartments and houses available. For most of them the owners require at least a 6 mounts lease and most are unfurnished. We found a good listing on www.realestate.com.au.

We were however looking for a furnished apartment/house that is available over a shorter term.

We ended up leasing a place through www.darlingtowers.com.au in South Yarra. From the website it seems like they provide more short term (daily) serviced apartments. We contacted them about a rate for 3 months for an unserviced 1 bedroom unit. Some of the units that are shown on the website for around $90 to $100 were offered to us for $50 per night if we take it for longer that 1 month. They then charge $20 per week for utilities and phone connection. The only other extra will be your phone calls from the apartment phone.

I suggest giving them a call or sending a e-mail to ask about the corporate rental rates.

What makes it nice is that we can just give a week’s notice if we want to move out before the end our lease. This makes it more flexible while waiting for that uncertain date when your container arrives or when you're able to secure the lease on that nice place you're looking for.

The apartments are clean and of a good quality, but it's not a 5 star hotel. It does however have everything that you need. ie Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher, full kitchen, and even Foxtel. They are close to the South Yarra train station which makes it very easy to go in to the city.

I hope that this will be of help to you.

Steve,

We have been in Melbourne for about 3 weeks now. We started out in a corporate apartment that my employer provided for 2 weeks. We had to shop around for something for after the first two weeks. We are looking to settle in a house in one of the suburbs when our container arrives, but needed somewhere to stay in the meanwhile.

Thanks for the tip. We booked an "Australian Home Away" spot in Doncaster East for our arrival. Bit pricey at $460 per week, but it's easy and it looks reasonable.

Hi Steve

I am glad you have found what you wanted.

Vanie Plaas - please check the calendar for Melbourne Braai

Mara