Next step: House and school in Brisbane

Lizel

Ok, so I've read the 100 point things to do and AML is handling the 457 visa application. My hubby and I will be working at Logan CC, just south of Brisbane. Hoping to land in October if the 457 is complete.

Had a meeting with some friends leaving for Qld in the next 3 - 4 weeks and we are all looking at the Christian Outreach Collage in Brisbane. A number of afrikaans surnames on the staff list!

Any comments from the members?

Our kids are small, 5 and 8 so the school is very important to us and the house will have to be in the neighborhood. How is Carindale and Mansfield?

Hoping to hear from the happy Brissies soon.

L

Hi Lizel

Christian Outreach College, Brisbane or in short COCB is a great school!!!! Both our kids are in the school - Year 11 and Year 1 - so I can comment on both the primary and high school. We are Afrikaans speaking and the fact that (especially in the high school) a number of ex-South African teachers are employed at the school made a difference as there is a bit more empathy and understanding. The quality of education is excellent and both kids love to go to school (which says a lot as it is not easy to please a 16 year old boy!!!!).

The staff at the college is wonderful and it is amazing to see how passionate they are about teaching - whenever we attend a school function or information evening, my husband and I are just amazed at how the love and passion they have for teaching (and the Lord I must add) reflects in everything they do and present. In short - in my opinion- you cannot go wrong with COCB!!!

There is also quite a strong South African parent community at the school which is good for that extra moral support we all need from time to time.

Best is (if you have not done so already) to make contact with Sue Moore, the Registrar at the College to facilitate further discussions. Her contact details are on their website - http://www.brisbane.coc.edu.au

and they even have a dedicated Afrikaans page on their webpage as well!!!! http://www.brisbane.coc.edu.au/Site/Enrolm...naAustralia.asp - En dit wil nou gedoen wees!!!!!

Best of luck with all the decisions and hope to see you as part of the COCB community soon!!!

PS - Carindale is a very upmarket area with lovely houses. Mansfield is an older area with different building styles but both locations are good.

Cheers

Rialet

Hi Rialet

Gids ons kon dalk Bure gewees het in Pta! (Woon in Lynnwood) Baie dankie vir die antwoord. So julle is gevestig en het als deurgekyk?

Ek het reeds gister 'n navraag deurgestuur aan COCB. En soos ek gesê het nog 3 ander Pta families oppad en stel ook in COCB belang. Wat is die situasie met sport? Is alles buite die skool in klubverband en 'n ekstra uitgawe? Graad tweetjie het begin met ekstra Eng klasse. Hoop dit help om die landing sagter te maak! Hy verjaar in September sal hy die jaar moet oordoen? Sjoe, baie vrae - maar ons sal moontlik nie kan kom kyk hoe dit lyk voor ons begin werk nie.

Ons sal vir ± 8 - 10 weke betaalde verblyf kry teen $400+ per week. Waar sal jy voorstel moet ek vir die agent sê om te begin soek? Is daar plekke in Mansfield, Carindale, Wishart en wat van Springwood wat nader aan Logan CC is?

Groete uit 'n koue Pta.

L

Hi Lizel

Christian Outreach College, Brisbane or in short COCB is a great school!!!! Both our kids are in the school - Year 11 and Year 1 - so I can comment on both the primary and high school. We are Afrikaans speaking and the fact that (especially in the high school) a number of ex-South African teachers are employed at the school made a difference as there is a bit more empathy and understanding. The quality of education is excellent and both kids love to go to school (which says a lot as it is not easy to please a 16 year old boy!!!!).

The staff at the college is wonderful and it is amazing to see how passionate they are about teaching - whenever we attend a school function or information evening, my husband and I are just amazed at how the love and passion they have for teaching (and the Lord I must add) reflects in everything they do and present. In short - in my opinion- you cannot go wrong with COCB!!!

There is also quite a strong South African parent community at the school which is good for that extra moral support we all need from time to time.

Best is (if you have not done so already) to make contact with Sue Moore, the Registrar at the College to facilitate further discussions. Her contact details are on their website - http://www.brisbane.coc.edu.au

and they even have a dedicated Afrikaans page on their webpage as well!!!! http://www.brisbane.coc.edu.au/Site/Enrolm...naAustralia.asp - En dit wil nou gedoen wees!!!!!

Best of luck with all the decisions and hope to see you as part of the COCB community soon!!!

PS - Carindale is a very upmarket area with lovely houses. Mansfield is an older area with different building styles but both locations are good.

Cheers

Rialet

Hi

My name is Babs and my wife and I are busy with trying to get her job (nurse) in Aus. One of our preferred places of residence is Brisbane. We have two kids, ages 8 and 13 and I would like to know what the school fees are at the COCB. Your answer will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Babs :whome:

Hi guys,

We are moving to northern Brisbane (working in Rothwell) towards the end of August 2008. Our kids are 15 (boy in Grade 9) and 11 (girl in Grade 5). Our son is currently in a private school in Johannesburg, while our girl is in a government primary school (both of them in Afrikaans schools). We obviously have many questions, but the main questions currently evolve around private vs. state schools and whether they should skip a grade once in Queensland.

Any suggestions regarding good schools in northern Brisbane or advice on suburbs?

Thanks,

Christiaan and Ronelle

Hi Christiaan,

We're in the North but don't have school going children. Friends of ours that have, seem to be happy with the public schools for primary and then private for High schools. There are some fantastic State schools and then there are those that aren't!!! Generally the Private schools have more rules with regard to hair and school uniform etc.

See you in Brissie.

Hi guys,

We are moving to northern Brisbane (working in Rothwell) towards the end of August 2008. Our kids are 15 (boy in Grade 9) and 11 (girl in Grade 5). Our son is currently in a private school in Johannesburg, while our girl is in a government primary school (both of them in Afrikaans schools). We obviously have many questions, but the main questions currently evolve around private vs. state schools and whether they should skip a grade once in Queensland.

Any suggestions regarding good schools in northern Brisbane or advice on suburbs?

Thanks,

Christiaan and Ronelle

Hi Christiaan

Our kids are in a private Christian School. It is a very personal choice. Best advice I can give is go with what you all feel happy with.

The websites for both types are :

Education QLD http://education.qld.gov.au/

Christian Schools Ass of Aus is http://www.csa.edu.au/schools.php

PM me if you want more info about the actual school.

Regards

Susan

• 5 weeks later...

Lizel, I would advise to be closer to school. You might change your job in future and it helps to be close for all the school runs. As mentioned Carindale is more up market and might be a tad more expensive than $400/week, but maybe the real estate can find something for you. Mansfield is older and really depends on the street you are in. I don't like Logan much - a bit more run down, but it is always possible to find something nice.

Hi Linda and thanks for the reply.

We will be doing the LSD thing next week to do exactly that. Looking what suits us as a family. Apparently "appartment living" is a big thing. Not to sure if it will go down well with two boys (5 & 8).

Will chat again.

Lizel

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo julle Brissies

Ons is terug van die LSD en ons is so verseker oppad! Die skool is nommerpas en die woonbuurt is A+. Boonop is die 457 vanoggend goedgekeur. Dankie aan die lawyers en die werkgewer wat ons verseker daar wil hê - so vinnig as moontlik.

Sien julle in Oktober.

PS. Die snuffelhond het my op Sydney uitgevang. Met piesangs, nogal. En ja ek het dit verklaar, gelukkig. Ons moes dit nogtans weggooi. So wees gewaarsku.

L