Using wireless broadband on two computers

Dedrei

The last 3 weeks we had endless problems with Telstra, since we moved into our new place. We can't get normal ADSL through the phone line as Telstra ran out of copper wires in our new area when they built it. Can you believe it???

So after long struggle and bemoerdgeit I got Virgin wireless broadband, which uses the 3G network. It is great only $39.95 for 5GB allowance and is pretty fast. :rolleyes:

Now my question for the IT guys. :huh:

We have two computers (desktops) at home. The usb modem thingy for the broadband is plugged into my computer. How can I get my hubby's computer to get connected as well? Or can't I? :whome:

Cheers

D

I am doing just that with 3 computers. I have the modem plugged into the desktop with a wireless router connected via cable to that. The DHCP server is disabled and I am using Sygate for the DHCP server and for internet connection sharing.

Works perfectly can be a bit slow with 2 skype users on simutaneusly

:whome: some plain english please... :lol:

I have this small palm size modem that plugs into my usb on my computer. So what do I need to connect both computers onto this modem thingy for internet?

Do both computers have wireless network cards? (How did the two computers connect when you were using Telstra - cables or wireless?)

In our old house we had the normal ADSL modem that plugged into the telephone plug. Then we had network cabling righ through the house, so we would plug something in to wall socket in the one room and then the network cable plugged into that room's socket and voila. Our own mini network.

We don't have wireless cards, only this one usb modem thingy, that is very tiny. Has a sim card in it and that is how it connects to the 3G network.

Sorrie man, my man se as jy Linux gerun het kon hy jou gehelp het :whome: Sterkte!

The little thing with the wire is a USB Modem you plug that into a USB slot on 1 computer now you have internet on 1 computer.

You now have a choice between cable or wireless. I will assume they both have network ports. Cable means you connect the 2 computers with a cable. if thats ok then you set the up a small network and enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

In theory it should all work fine but due to the Windoze system you will pull your hair out and go grey overnight.

If you dont want a cable and your computers have wirelless network cards then you buy a wireless Router and do more or less the same things except you pull more hair out and take up strong drink.

If the dont then you must buy 2 wireless dongles that will plug into the usb ports.

I am not a retard and I really tried over a few nights and weekends and eventually I gave up and called one of my IT friends who set it up for me.

Ok.. I assume no wireless network cards, your options are:

1. Get a very long "cross-over" cable to connect the two computers - most computer stores stock these.

This option allows you to physically connect the two machines together, So your machine with the USB Virgin modem, connects via a single cable to your DH machine. Then using the Windows (assuming you are using PC and not a Mac) "Network Setup Wizard" (I can explain how to get there if you need) you can set up Internet connection sharing between the computers.

2. You can get two wireless network cards to replace the cable option above, this will require purchasing more exspensive wireless network cards and getting an IT technichian to install them for you (or you can try DIY) and once they are working using them in an "ad Hoc" network to share you Internet connection.

3. Get a single wireless network card for your DH computer and a wireless router for your computer with the USB Virgin modem. Same steps as in option 2, but more exspensive still and a little more effort to setup, but once done it usually is a more stable network environment.

- -

How far apart do you need these computers to be?

My computer is in one of our rooms, which is now the study. Hubby's pc is in the lounge area close to the normal phone plug, which is now useless. Don't think the cable running right through our home is gonna work. I'll have to look in to the other options you mentioned.

Ok.. Option 2 is the cheapest, and usually the easiest out of the two wireless options.

Once you get either two wireless network cards (and have them installed) or two wireless USB dongles (thanks Duane W for the reminder :lol: ) then you can follow this article to try and set up your home network.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n..._02april08.mspx

It is a relatively straight forward article to get you going.

If you try for option 3 with the router.. also let me know and I can link you to other related articles and help files, or talk you through it.

PM me if you need more info :whome:

Hi Dedei

I also have the 3G USB modem. I connected two desktop PC's with a crossover cable that plugs into the network ports at the back of each PC. I recently sold one of the PC's and will probably do so with the other as well.

I recently bought two laptops (since we want to move to Oz) and hoped that I could do the same wirelessly as both laptops have Wi-Fi built in. Unfortunately this doesn't work.

The best and cheapest way is the crossover cable. It's cheap and you can route it through the ceiling. You only need to make two small holes in the ceiling corners of each room.

After connecting the two computers you'll have to go to the network settings and change the IP addresses, but this is another story.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy

Ok next question...

I am looking at some cards on Ebay and it seems you get a 54Mbps and a 108 Mbps.

Like one has this details Wireless 108Mbps WiFi 802.11G/11b LAN PCI Network Card, assuming this is what I need?

Probably best to go for the faster speed?

Yes get the fastest but they do not have the ability to link 2 pc's without a wireless router. I had this argument with my son and we tried it thankfully I was right this time :ilikeit:

However most good wireless routers will connect to adsl etc without a modem and have a built in firewall and have a few lan ports as well.

I am using a Siemens Gigaset one I brought with from South Africa so I have no idea what they cost..

PS

If you go wireless make sure it is encrypted otherwise anyone can steal your internet and its common here.

Edited by Duane W

If you are going to be getting a router on the main PC the router will take care of securing your wireless network. Routers have built in Firewalls, and usually require a password to access the network. Or if not set up like that out of the box, they do come with relatively easy instructions to add the security.

It seems that other people have more issues than it is worth with Ad-hoc networking, so look to get a wireless network card and a router.

Speed.. 54Mbps or above is good. Just make sure that both the router and wireless card use the same speed.

Also look at the 802.11G or 802.11b or 802.11N - these also should match for best performance.

Remember also that although speed is great, unless you are sharing files between computers (rather than just sharing Internet) it makes little difference, as the Internet connection is still way slower. So if there is a 108 Mbps, great, just don't pay the price assuming it will give a better Internet speed.

Edited by MichaelG

You can also just get a 3g wireless router from Vodafone. AFAIK Your simcard plugs into it you just need wireless dongles on the 2 pc's and you are in business.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I am an ex 18 year IT veteran and you have me confused....I have tried all the options above and you will pull your hair out with all of them.

Good luck Deidre!!

On this note.....will my Vadafone 3G card that i'm currently using on my laptop work in Australia or will i have to look for an alternative when i get there?

Hi Deidre

Dion is back from Survivor again.

Would you like him to come out and help you ?

Just give him a call if you still have a problem.