IOM not always cheapest

letsgo

We are starting to get things together for the big move and I thought I would look at flight prices.

We will fly Jo'burg to Brisbane in August, and here's what I found.

Quantus JHB to BNE via Sydney (need to swap planes in Sydney so will need to go through customs here) R10300 with 40Kg

SAA to Perth and then Brisbane (again swapping planes) R13000 with 20Kg luggage.

IOM couldn't confirm price yet but in the region of R8500 with 40kg luggage.

Emirates -- wait for it --- R5603.00 with 30kg if you book early. Ok flight is a little longer BUT you fly to Dubai then Sydney (but don't get off) and onto Brisbane which means no lugging bags through airports and swapping planes. Total flight time is only 2 hours more than Quantus and SAA and actually less time running around airports. You also arrive at 7am in brisbane as opposed to late evening/night with the others. More time to sort your life out when you land.

Any idea where I might have gone wrong with my thinking?

Ian

Just confirm that airport taxes are included in your quote.

Emirates is currently the cheapest airline for normal travel, so i do understand you getting a better deal.

Edited by MichaelG

We also got the best quote with Emirates (via the Internet)

R20 000.00 for 5 people. We're thinking even if it is not a direct flight (flying via Dubai), we can do with the extra Cash in Aus, in stead of spending it on plane tickets...

We also got the best quote with Emirates (via the Internet)

R20 000.00 for 5 people. We're thinking even if it is not a direct flight (flying via Dubai), we can do with the extra Cash in Aus, in stead of spending it on plane tickets...

Hy there

You did get my attention with this 20000 rand tickets you got.

Was there a spesific person you contacted and where are you flighing to, your baggage is it also more and all th airport taxes where they included.

We are also 5 traveling in hopefully August but we are going to Cairns

The best I got with Qantas was 45 000 rand and this was 3 months back already.

Please let me know

Hannes

Hello Hannes

www.emirates.com

Select you country of Residence

Go to Plan and Book

Select the One Way Tab

Our flights will be to Perth - 2 Adults, 2 kids and 1 baby (under 2 years) - If we specify 3 kiddies (no Baby, then the price only goes up to R23000. Not sure of one of your kids is a baby, but it would be better to rather reserve a seat than to keep the baby on your lap all the way there!!!!)

It is cheaper if you book directly on the Internet. Airport taxes included and from what I understood also 40kg (phoned them to check - not sure how accurate this is though)

Hope this helps

Alwyn

Emirates_Option_1_to_Perth.bmp

Guys

Just be aware, the biggest plus with IOM is that you can postpone the departure date (for whatever reason) without paying penalties or incurring additional costs. This happened with us, our flight was supposed to leave JHB on Friday BUT we had some issues, so on Thursday, we called IOM and postponed our flight to Sunday.

Apparently, due to IOM agreements with member countries, certain seats on planes are reserved for IOM travel and well, they can fly empty....this is what we were told.

Try doing that with online bookings ....NOT A CHANCE.

In any event you can't beat a good Qantas flight to Aus, the crew knew that most of us on that flight where immigrating, they went out of their way to make us comfortable, it was the most memorable flight ever.

We have since flown to other places wordwide, nothing could beat that flight, and we still compare our other flights against that benchmark....

Most importantly put God first place and everything else will fall into place

NAL

Must say, I had to book flights for end of July, the cheapest I could get for 2 people was R15800 incl everything with 40kg per person luggage. The others, SAL, Quantas etc the best price was R23400 for 2 people.

So unfortunately, IOM was the cheapest this time!!

Hello Hannes

www.emirates.com

Select you country of Residence

Go to Plan and Book

Select the One Way Tab

Our flights will be to Perth - 2 Adults, 2 kids and 1 baby (under 2 years) - If we specify 3 kiddies (no Baby, then the price only goes up to R23000. Not sure of one of your kids is a baby, but it would be better to rather reserve a seat than to keep the baby on your lap all the way there!!!!)

It is cheaper if you book directly on the Internet. Airport taxes included and from what I understood also 40kg (phoned them to check - not sure how accurate this is though)

Hope this helps

Alwyn

Hi Alwyn

Thanks for the info I went to the web address and got a quote R25 000 for the 5 of us but it is only to Brissies.

From there we wil have to go with Qantas to Cairns at 129 $ per person so yea so far they are the cheepest.

Will keep you posted as to what IOM say.

Hannes

Hi there

Just check when you fly emirates my mom flew last week and she knew she was going via Dubai but she didn't know she was also going via Bangkok, the luggage was booked all the way through but they did have to disembark at each stop and go through customs.

Good Luck.

Speaking of IOM, has anyone got a new number for IOM and is Deeksha still around. We flew with them and they were brilliant but I have family who can't get hold of them anyone got a new number or contact?

Hi

Yes Deeksha is still there. You can get her on 012 342 2789

Andre

Thanks a ton. I think my family must have been using the wrong number.

S

I would double check about not going through customs at Sydney, most of the time you when you land from a foreign country they make you go through customs. Most airlines do not know the rules and regulations.

Guys

Just be aware, the biggest plus with IOM is that you can postpone the departure date (for whatever reason) without paying penalties or incurring additional costs. This happened with us, our flight was supposed to leave JHB on Friday BUT we had some issues, so on Thursday, we called IOM and postponed our flight to Sunday.

Apparently, due to IOM agreements with member countries, certain seats on planes are reserved for IOM travel and well, they can fly empty....this is what we were told.

Try doing that with online bookings ....NOT A CHANCE.

In any event you can't beat a good Qantas flight to Aus, the crew knew that most of us on that flight where immigrating, they went out of their way to make us comfortable, it was the most memorable flight ever.

We have since flown to other places wordwide, nothing could beat that flight, and we still compare our other flights against that benchmark....

Most importantly put God first place and everything else will fall into place

NAL

Your post has pretty much made up my mind who I will be flying with!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

Well we paid R17400 -00 for x4ppl (including all taxes etc + 40kg luggage limit per person + 7 kg hand luggage per person)!! Via IOM!!! :):)

That was the cheapest and so we did'n't waste anytime buying the txts.

AND we had actually changed the dates WITHOUT any costs involved.

our initial date booked was for the 16th Aug 2008...BUT my future emplyers decided that I needed to come earlier - so we just called Dheeksha and she changed the departure date for the 26th of July and NO ADDITIONAL COST!!!! :ilikeit::ilikeit:

vanishree

Hi there

Skuus ek vra maar wat/wie is IOM? Ons wil nou reel vir LSD (D = skool en huis bekyk, het klaar die werk) trip na Brisbane begin Augustus. Ek sien hulle is in Pretoria Brookly?

Bleddie Binnelandse sake het na 12 weke nog nie my en my man ge Unabridged cert. geprosesseer nie...

Enters Mev Pretorius, almal saam: ♪ for she's a jolly good fellow... Dis al wat on 457 nou ophou!!!

Cheers

L

• 2 months later...

Sorry to sound stupid, but do you have the web address for IOM please. I also found emirates was ok but not sure..

Hi there

Skuus ek vra maar wat/wie is IOM? Ons wil nou reel vir LSD (D = skool en huis bekyk, het klaar die werk) trip na Brisbane begin Augustus. Ek sien hulle is in Pretoria Brookly?

Bleddie Binnelandse sake het na 12 weke nog nie my en my man ge Unabridged cert. geprosesseer nie...

Enters Mev Pretorius, almal saam: ♪ for she's a jolly good fellow... Dis al wat on 457 nou ophou!!!

Cheers

L

Hi Lizel

Jy kan deur IOM jou vliegtuigkaartjies bespreek - hulle is gewoonlik die goedkoopste, maar jy moet 'n bietjie rond shop want soms is hulle duurder.

Jy kan met Deeksha praat by IOM. Haar telefoonnommer is hier iewers op een van die topics. Jy moet blykbaar 'n visum he voordat jy haar kontak want hulle soek die besonderhede.

Ons gaan more vir ons unabridge sertifikate. Het nie geweet daarvan nie en ons het al 2 jaar gelede vir ons eerste visums aansoek gedoen. Wat moet ek alles saam neem om daarvoor te kan aansoek doen? Ek neem aan albei ouers se ouers se IDnommers en besonderhede. Nog iets?

Hoop jy kom reg.

Euneze :thumbdown:

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse the dof repeat question but can someone tell me what is IOM? Where do I find them (web details?) as I would like to make prelim enquiries for flights between PE and Melbourne?

Thanks. Regards, Mark

Excuse the dof repeat question but can someone tell me what is IOM? Where do I find them (web details?) as I would like to make prelim enquiries for flights between PE and Melbourne?

Thanks. Regards, Mark

Hey Mark, there are no dof questions on the forum. I had never heard of them before the forum.....

Contact

International Organization for Migration Regional Office for Southern Africa

Address:

Cnr. Festival and Arcadia Street

Hatfield Sanlam Building, 3rd Floor, Hatfield

Pretoria

South Africa

Telephone: 012 342 2789

Fax: 012 342 0932

Deeksha Bhoola

e-mail DBHOOLA@iom.int

www.iom.org.za

You have to have your visa before they will give you anything though!

All the best

Eva

Hey Mark, there are no dof questions on the forum. I had never heard of them before the forum.....

Contact

International Organization for Migration Regional Office for Southern Africa

Address:

Cnr. Festival and Arcadia Street

Hatfield Sanlam Building, 3rd Floor, Hatfield

Pretoria

South Africa

Telephone: 012 342 2789

Fax: 012 342 0932

Deeksha Bhoola

e-mail DBHOOLA@iom.int

www.iom.org.za

You have to have your visa before they will give you anything though!

All the best

Eva

Thanks Eva - you are a star! Mark

Just a comparison - from Dbn to Canberra

Hubby couldnt get flight thru IOM for 2nd Oct, so is flying SAA - Dbn to Jhb to Sydney and Qantas to Canberra with only 20kgs luggage and the cost is R11 990,00

Kids and I fly 24 Nov thru IOM, the same route, via Qantas paying R9 600,00 each with 40kgs. Thats a saving of

R2 390,00 per ticket.

Thanks for the feedback.

Once your visa is approved what is the average timeline to obtain a ticket using IOM? I need to get to Melbourne pronto but my family will only follow me in December. Can IOM assist you immediately or is there some kind of red-tape system such as enjoyed by all of us at Home Affairs and the visa processing authorities?

Mark

Hi guys

this is what we had to pay going with IOM. Cape Town flying SAA to Joburg R1400 per adult.

Joburg, Sydney, Brisbane,Mackay with Qantas R9200 per adult. with 40kg per person. apparently with the new fuel levies, no one else does the 40kg anymore.

See here:

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=1330

I've just saved R10K for my son & I by calling Deeksha. I agree you do have to shop around, we have a difference of R1,500 between the 2 travel agents we went to last week for flights - pity we didn't slow down to call IOM first for my hubby's flight ... his ticket was the same price we are going to pay for both my son & I in high season!