Skills Assesment

PlZhElPmEgEt2Oz

Please advice anyone .....what do i do to get a skills assesment done ?

This depends on what skill you need to have assessed. There are different assessing bodies for trades, computers, nurses,teachers etc.

Hi

Go to the DIAC (Department of Immigration and Citizenship) website and search for Form 1121(i). This is the list where all the occupations that are in demand are listed and they also give you all the information on the assessment bodies for the different occupations as well as contact details of each.

Sonja

• 3 months later...

Again, it depends on the specific industry you are in. I had to get my skills assessment done by the Australian Computer Society (ACS) because I am in the IT industry. To do that, I had to complete a specific ACS form giving details of my qualifications, work experience, etc. as well as certified copies of degrees, diplomas, etc. ACS then reviewed that, decided that they recognise my qualifications and experience and declared me competent for a specific kind of IT role. They did not require any proof of English language abilities, so no IELTS was required. That was for my work permit (457).

My wife is a teacher and has to get her skills assessment done by Teaching Australia, the national teaching body. As communication in English plays a major role in her career, Teaching Australia requires an academic level IELTS pass result before they would consider het skills assessment.

For our Permanent Resident (PR) visa, they required me, my wife and my son to pass a general level IELTS to show we are able to speak, read, write & understand functional (basic) English. They did not require my daughter to prove that as she already had proof from a university that her degree was done with English as medium of communication. My wife already has a general IELTS pass, but now has to repeat it at academic level in order to meet Teaching Australia's requirements.

So, as a previous member suggested, "Go to the DIAC (Department of Immigration and Citizenship) website (look specifically at http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/index.htm) and search for Form 1121(i). This is the list where all the occupations that are in demand are listed and they also give you all the information on the assessment bodies for the different occupations as well as contact details of each.". Determine which institution would need to do your skills assessment, and find out what their requirements are. What career are you in? If you mention that, someone on the forum will post a direct link to the site where you need to look for your specific requirements.

Good luck!

So the answer is no, it is not necessarily a test. For most industries, you would need to explain in a specific format (using a specific form for that industry) to specify what qualifications you have, what work experience you have, and the relevant instititution for that industry will decide if they recognize your skills (i.e. acknowledge it as equivalent to what is offered here). I suppose in some industries they may require you to do a specific manual test of some sort.