2nd Language / Sport in Perth Schools

DeniseF

Hi there

Just like to know what compulsory second languages are taught in Primary school, if any. I have a Grade 2 and 5. Would the grade 5 be able to catch up easily.

Also, what sports are there for boys and are they on weekends or during the week. In SA at the moment the foundation phase (Gr 1 - 3) have sport on a Saturday and the older ones during the week. How does Perth work ???

Thanks

Airmail

Good Question - I heard that there are some schools in Perth that offer Afrikaans as a second Language??? Can someone confirm.

Coming from a typical Afrikaans family, I hope our kids will also adapt quickly to 'die Engelse taal'

Hi

I do not know of any primary school that Afrikaans as a L.O.T.E. - I beleive there is some high school near Manduarah that does offer Afrikaans.

The second Language s that are offered very from school to school, it couldbe Japanese, Indonesian, mandarin, french,Italian, German, Greek or some other language.

Dont stress, they have about 1 hour a week in this language, and it is not a case of catching up- as it does not mean that they will studt the same language next year!!!

Its just a case of exposing the kids to another language. The actually study of a second language becomes more serious in high school, and then it becomes an optional subject in the government schools. in most privaye schools it is a must to have a second language depending onb the school.

As for sports offered in schools.....what sports? Sport is done after school and is done in your private capacity. You have to enrol youe kids into a club, depending on the sport he/she wants to do ie osccer, rigby,cricket, basketball, tee-ball, swmming,netball, footy,gymnastics etc.

Very basic sport is offered at school as part of their school day, nothing after school.

Take the time to read on the forum, the sports have been discussed quite in detail in the past.

Regards

Enrica

Oh dear, if the kids can speak another language that means they can talk about us behind our back! We planned on speaking afrikaans without them understanding for the rest of their lives!!

I am suprised about the sport- the impression is that Oz is such a sports mad country and i would have thought that it would have been pushed as soon as possible.

Al