"Camping out" in a rental b4 container arrives...

GSI

Hi all,

this may be a dumb question but I need to ask it anyway...

when you are 'camping out' in a rental before your container arrives...

I know you need to get a fridge, iron, ironing board etc...

but just twigged now... what about beds????

We have an african mahogany bed I will not give up, my daughter has a beautiful fairy princess four poster that she will not give up... so what do we do? Even the mattrasses are all new last year so I dont want to get rid of them either, so buying just the mattresses there wont work either.

Any tips from those who've done it?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but its been a long tiring week and the brain just aint workin!

GSI

How about inflatable camping type of mattresses( crazy Clark's should see you right) at least you will be able to use them at a later date( plus if you make it into a big adventure for the kids.....) otherwise it is the foam type of mattress which starts out at about $90 per single

My suggestion is to buy a bed for your guest bedroom and use that until your furniture arrives. I have known of quite a few that have done so, as I am sure, like everybody else, you will have guests coming to visit.

For your daughter, you can get a single bed in Australia called a daybed, it can also double as a place to sit in a study, or somewhere else in the house. It has a top and bottom and a backrest along one long side. They can be quite quaint and lovely.

Of course, you could go the cheap route and just buy some blow up mattresses. Especially if you don't have long to wait.

Last option is to 'rent' everything you need, you pay for it week by week and give it back when your stuff arrives.

Thank you all for asking that question. We were wondering the same thing and I would say renting is probably the best bet.

Question: we need another bed. Should we buy it here before we leave or in Auz. Sure it will give us something to sleep on whilst camping out but then the linen we have wont fit. Any suggestions welcomed?

Thanks all for the advice. think we'll sell the guest bed here (sigh, just got new linen last year) and get 2 singles which we can use in the meantime and that way when the folks come to visit they wont have to fight all night :whome: and get a blow up for the munchkin - and a ready bed which we plan on getting her to keep things a bit more constant. She sure is going to miss the Hello Kitty sheets!

Hi,

We move into our unfurnished rental next Saturday and our furniture's estimated delivery date is around 5th of August. Our landlords are lending us a queen size bed and our oldest boy needs a new bed, so we got one at Ikea for him. We'll just buy some cheapish bedding. For the rest you can rent furniture, but that is hugely expensive, I joined the freecycle club in Perth and yesterday we collected a washing machine and today we are picking up a fridge and box freezer - for free. These will be available for other SA campers once our furniture arrives.

Also if you are up to it, there are some recycle centers where you can buy used stuff, it's probably old and needs a good clean, but it will do until your stuff arrives.

We bought a couch and TV and as I didn't pack any kitchen things in the container, so I will look at Ikea for a starter pack or something!

Another option is buy from the OP-SHOPS (second hand shops run by charities). It is just amazing what good stuff these Aussies chuck out when they want something new. The OP SHOPS are really cheap. We got a double bed mattress and Wooden bed for $60. The terrible thing about this is that this second hand matress is nicer and cheaper than the one we shipping over.

Hi there

We went for the rental option.

Made use of "living edge rental".

http://www.livingedgerental.com.au/

My husband arrived 3 months before me and the container was packed only when I left.

Furnished accommodation is very expensive (the ones he could find).

He had some "package" deal worth 6 items and that included a double bed, TV, washing machine. You can make up your own package.

And like Jordy said - the OP-SHOPS are probably the best option.