Camping Equipment

Guest colton

Guest colton

Some queries re Camping Equipment? I have been told that all our cadac skottel, and gas bottles and cadac gas lamps, etc are not advisable to bring into Australia, nothing like this is available there and so no spares etc. How true is this? What about our Venter Trailer? It is still new and in good condition, worth while bringing over? My family are great campers and I know we will carry on the tradition once there. Any other definite no-no's in regards to the camping stuff?

Hi colton,

A friend of mine brought his Ventertjie over, best thing he ever did :holy: ! They are just the best thing since sliced bread. I am very sorry we did not bring one with us. As to the camping gear, it is a bit difficult. "Gas bottles are not allowed, as they are flammable, and can never be emptied completely" (Pickfords) The gas bottles here have a different opening, and your stuff won't fit. I have heard that you can get attachments to make them fit. I'll go check in the shop tomorrow. If you bring any of your other gear, make sure it is very clean, as they WILL open it. But by all means, bring it if you have it, camping is great out here! :lol::(

Just a funny thing, we had our tent still sealed in it's original bag, never opened, and our very nice packing guy had no idea what it was, so he wrote on it "One big black handbag" needless to say, it was not even opened by customs!

Thought I'd post you a piccie (or 2) just to get you in the mood!

post-184-1155729818.jpg

post-184-1155729836.jpg

Greetings,

Dreamy

No, that's no correct Colton, you can get most Cadac accessories here, and believe me, if you live in a fire ban area like we do, you will wish you had a skottel. Braai is net nie deiselfde sonder die kole nie... :holy:.... Skottel is at least a good alternative. We camp a lot too. Make sure that all of your camping equipment is absolutely spotless and wipe it down with Jeyes Fluid. You can put tent pegs through the dishwasher if you have one, if not, either scrub them down totally so that they shine, or leave them and buy new ones here. That's because they would have been in contact with soil (and the organisms whoch live in it). AQIS did inspect every single bit of our camping equipment ....

Don't know about the Ventertjie. Surely there will be many rules and regulations to fulfil, which might make it not worth it. The trailers here tend to be quite different - huge and utilitarian.

:lol:

you can get most Cadac accessories here :boxing:

I got this way back from another forum:

"For all of you wondering where to get a converter to use your Cadac skottelbraai - or other Cadac goodies - on an Aussie gas bottle. Big W has one. It is made by Campmaster and the code is CM4520 (3/8"LH to Cadac) for A$8.84"

Can't remember who posted it in order to credit him/her - sorry.

Regards

We just bought a tent this morning and sleeping bags and all the other stuff you need and are realy excited. We cant wait to get out there. The kids are so keen, they are sleeping in their sleeping bags in the lounge tonight to try them out.

I got this way back from another forum:

"For all of you wondering where to get a converter to use your Cadac skottelbraai - or other Cadac goodies - on an Aussie gas bottle. Big W has one. It is made by Campmaster and the code is CM4520 (3/8"LH to Cadac) for A$8.84"

Can't remember who posted it in order to credit him/her - sorry.

Regards

That was me :) - no need to be sorry (I was about to re-post it here anyway and you saved me the trouble :angry: )

We brought all our Cadac stuff and they work 100% with the converters!

Colton and Ollie!

If you are not 110% hapy with your camping experience in Australia then you can get your money back!

Australia is a camper's paradise and there's a lot of Australia to see . . . . it is seven times larger than South Africa! . . . . so, when you've seen enough of an area the size of Sth Africa, move on to see another million square miles (or Kilometres) of Australia.

We have tropical beaches, sandy deserts, Outback with red sunsets, tropical pools to dip in on hot days, rainforests (tropical and temperate) . . . . . the list is endless in Australia to see.

We have a book with details of free campsites between Perth and Esperance. Actually, the ones we have looked at so far charge $5 per person per night and $2 per school going child, which is almost free.

Don't forget to drop in at a National park or two wherever you go. Some parks are pretty basic with the scenery and the facilities for campers at the camping spots, but others are spectacular and the facilities include hot showers, etc. Fees range from $5 a camp with basic facilites (e.g. tiolets, picnic table)for the night to $15 for a park with all facilites.

Some Australian States (which is the government level that administers national parks in Australia) sell monthly or yearly passes to their national parks. I don't know about all States, but my own State of Sth Australia (and I know Tasmania) offer yearly passes which include free camping for the first five nights in any of their national parks throughout the State for $125. Monthly passes for the school hols are about $40.