working in government

AllisonW

Hi all,

I am currently a senior manager in gov in SA and really enjoy the work (Just i know it is strange! No, i dont wear grey every day!!!). I would like to return to this environment when we arrive in Australia, even if it takes me a while. Are there any south africans working within government agencies? What has been the response of colleagues? Where you well recieved? We are going over on a PR.

Love to hear from all you fellow beaurocrats!!!!

Allison

Hi Alison

We moved over on a PR just over 2 years ago. Most Government agencies you have to be a Citizen to be able to work for them. If you look at the www.immi.gov.au website and the Citizenship test that is one of the + points of becoming a citizen.

However - I'm a Paramedic and i can apply on a PR to work for them. My husband is currently busy with application to the Air force. They allow PR but you have to be in the process of becoming a Citizen - and then there are rules from the South African government that you have to renounce your SA citizenship

We arrived here when you only needed 2 years before applying for Citizenship, Im not sure how it will work now with you guys that have to wait 4 years.

All the best hope someone can shed more light.

Hi

Most federal government agencies need you to be a citizen before you can work for them. State government should be easier on PR, though. Local government is probably the easiest to get into, if you're on PR or work visa.

I work in local government - only been here about 6 weeks, but I've found it pretty good so far. Every job has challenges and you sometimes do make comparisons to how you used to do your job in SA....but I think that the work ethic we bring (and I must add that a lot of immigrants from different countries seem to share a similar work ethic) stands us in very good stead!

I worked in public sector in SA for about two years after working the first 7 years of my career in the private sector. It was a bit of a shocker. Have to say, things appear to be more professionally done in govt here.....although you wouldn't know it if you're living in WA and following the shenanigans in both the major parties........ :ilikeit:

Hi Alison

We moved over on a PR just over 2 years ago. Most Government agencies you have to be a Citizen to be able to work for them. If you look at the www.immi.gov.au website and the Citizenship test that is one of the + points of becoming a citizen.

However - I'm a Paramedic and i can apply on a PR to work for them. My husband is currently busy with application to the Air force. They allow PR but you have to be in the process of becoming a Citizen - and then there are rules from the South African government that you have to renounce your SA citizenship

We arrived here when you only needed 2 years before applying for Citizenship, Im not sure how it will work now with you guys that have to wait 4 years.

All the best hope someone can shed more light.

Hi Alison

I am alos in your situation - working in a senior position in the Provincial Legisalture in JHB. I have been sending my CV to the Parliaments and govt agencies in OZ - they need you to be in the country first. I am now trying Local Govts esp in Adelaide were I am heading off to.

all the best

Thanks for the advice. I am a social worker by profession so i am prepared to work in the non governmental sector for a while if i must. hubby is in IT. But i know that policy is my passion and i would like to gravitate back that way. We will apply for citizenship eventually. I work for provincial gov and enjoy that. Can someone help me understand: How do federal, state and local relate to SA: is that National, provincial and local muncipal gov?

Is there anyone who works in the social service sector, who could chat to me about how gov social services are organised?

Thanks

Allison

Yes.

Back in the 1880s, the six British colonies + New Zealand (also a British colony) decided to federate into one country, because Victoria and New South Wales were having a trade war, at the time, with Victoria becoming "protectionist" and having customs barriers around itself and N.S.W. fighting for "free trade" right across Australia between the colonies.

New Zealand dropped out of the "Federation" discussions in the mid 1890s, but there is still a clause in the Australian Constitution which will allow for easy entry into Australia for N.Z. in the future.

On Jan 1st 1901, the six self-governing colonies federated to form the "Commonwealth of Australia"

The six former self governing colonies became "States" within the Commonwealth of Australia, much like the Provinces within the Dominion of Canada.

The new national government . . . or "Commonwealth" government . . . needed certain powers, which the new States surrendered. These were needed to run the country as a whole, such as Defence, Foreign Affairs, Telecommunications and Immigration.

Later on other powers were given over to the Commonwealth by the States, such as Post in 1911 and Social Welfare (Old Age Pensions, Unemployment Benefit, Child Allowance, etc) and Income Taxes in 1943.

Nowadays, we have a variety of legal powers that either the Commonwealth (or the "Federal" gov't, as many call it) or the regional State government has.

The States are very jealous of their powers and, historically, they haven't chosen to surrender their legal rights to the Commonwealth without good cause. This usually involves a bucket of money, among other things, coming the way of the States at the time., such as in "standardising" the road traffic laws between the States so that a driver in one State isn't totally confused by a conflicting law in another State whilst driving through. This particular incident happened in 1991. Now every State and the two Territories have the same alcohol limits for driving, for instance.

The latest tussle is who should be running the nation's hospitals. The States still retain their rights to Health and Education, Transport and traffic regulations, as well as Police and Fire services. There is often an "overlap" of services between the Commonwealth and the State governments that is quite costly to the average Australian. Medicare is one service which suffers in this way, with a visit to the local GPs being paid by the Commonwealth gov't, yet on the other side of town, if you have to go into a public hospital, this is paid for by the respective State which gets money from the Commonwealth to do so each year.

Local government is the local Shire or District Council in which you happen to dwell in.

. . . . . . . hope all this makes sense.

Edited by Bob

Bob,

You are great! This helps a lot! you really did come out with Cook! Your knowledge is astounding! Here is SA there is still competition between national, province and local. I work in province and we are always complaining that national is imposing things onto us, yet we hold the purse strings. Then we do the same to our local gov structures!

The fun and games - its like Dallas! That is why i love gov work!

Thanks

Allison

Hi Allison,

I am here (Townsville, QLD) on PR and work for a state government agency as a recruitment officer.

You can work for the Queensland Government if you are:

1. an Australian citizen, or

2. a permanent Australian resident, or

3. a non-citizen who has a valid visa permitting you to work. In this case, the work cannot extend beyond the expiry date of the visa and you will need evidence of the visa.

If you are interested in working in QLD for the state government have a look at http://jobs.qld.gov.au/ where all jobs are advertised.

Good luck and if you need any other info you think I can help just send me a message.

Cheers,

Paula

Hi Allison

I'm a lawyer with a Commonwealth agency (was only eligible for this position when I became an Oz citizen).

One of the big attractions of working in the public service v private practice is that the work/life balance is fairly good. Another one is 13 weeks fully paid maternity leave.

Regards,

K

Hi Allison,

I am here (Townsville, QLD) on PR and work for a state government agency as a recruitment officer.

You can work for the Queensland Government if you are:

1. an Australian citizen, or

2. a permanent Australian resident, or

3. a non-citizen who has a valid visa permitting you to work. In this case, the work cannot extend beyond the expiry date of the visa and you will need evidence of the visa.

If you are interested in working in QLD for the state government have a look at http://jobs.qld.gov.au/ where all jobs are advertised.

Good luck and if you need any other info you think I can help just send me a message.

Cheers,

Paula

Thanks Paula, You are a star. I will look up the site and PM if i need further help. This is comforting. I enjoy gov very much. Found the work really satisfying. Do you have any idea what Department would be the equivalent of Social Development in SA?

Thanks

Allison