"Formally emigrating"

DesertDaisy

I've spotted the term "formally emigrating" a couple of times on the forum, but am a little unsure as to what it means/implies. Can anyone explain?

When you leave SA you can choose to "relocate" or "emigrate" (or even just go on holiday and never come back!)

I received this in response to a query I logded with SARS some time back (note the amounts have since increased)

Re: Emigration vs relocation

Kindly be advised that emigrants from the RSA must apply for a tax clearance certificate on a Form IT21(a), if their financial institution requires them to do so. Emigrants are allowed to take R1 500 000 per family unit, R750 000 per single emigrant, R1 000 000 overall insured value per family unit or single emigrant of household and personal and other effects. Emigrants who will not be receiving any income in the future from a SA source tax file will be closed ater all their tax affairs are up to date. Emigrants who will still be receiving income from a SA source in the future tax file will remain open and a tax representative must be appointed to deal with that person's tax affairs on their behalf.

Persons relocating overseas indefinitely or have intentions of returning back to the RSA must approach their financial institution in order to ascertain what amount of money, household and personal and other effects can be taken out of the country, and whether they require a tax clearance certificate. Persons relocating overseas tax file will remain open. A letter must be written to SARS to this effect and on their return back to the RSA. Those persons will be taxed on their world wide income. A tax representative must be appointed to deal with that person's tax affairs on their behalf in their absence.

We chose to just leave with a return ticket. We did not fill in any forms or do anything formal. We just never came back. I did not bother to register my youngest children when they were born either as we will not be going back.