Portable HDD / Mutimedia Player

No Worries Mate

Hi

Need to get some storage mechanism for all my movies, etc. To take over on flight.

I was looking at portable HDD....which is best and smallest? 1000GB??

Someone suggested a Mvix Multimedia player which you can get with various size HDD. Anyone know anything about these?

Andre

How much data have you got?

DVD will hold 4.7Gb or 8.something for dual layer.

External HDD comes in 2 flavours - big ones (like in a PC) and small ones (like in Laptop)

Laptop ones are quite small - but cost a lot more per MB. Bigger ones you can easily get a 250 MB with a casing for under a R800 - R1 000.

Upside is you can use it with any computer because it uses USB connection.

I use a TB external HD. It's small enough to carry with you as hand luggage (a bit heavy but certainly do-able!!) and you can store plenty on it. Cost is about R3,500K atm I think. I also have an Apple TV which has a hard drive of 160gigs (cost about R4K) The drive is a little small and everything it plays needs to be in MP4 format as it works thru the iTunes environment only.

One thing I saw in Incredible Connection recently was a clone of the apple tv... but this 'clone' had a hd of about 750gigs (if memory serves) plus it supported most movie formats (avi, mp4, divx etc etc)... might be the mvix player you mentioned... it's definitely worth taking a look at! Comes with a remote control and you just plug it into your laptop or tv and off you go!

Must say that if I hadn't felt like I was cheating on mac / apple I would have got one of those instead of the apple tv!

But, if I were you, and the need was to transport data to Oz, I'd choose the TB USB drive... It's going to be the most versatile IMO.

Thanks so far....

The problem with DVD's is that I have quite a few that are ...well not original :blush:

I want to put these on a drive.

Carrie...what you think of this one

http://www.mvix.co.za/mx760_page_2.htm

You must still add a drive but it is just the cheap old internal drive

Andre

It looks great! I'd recommend you picking one up... and if you can find an internal hard drive of a TByte then you will be sorted. Where is it available? I think my kids would fancy one of those... I'm going to send them the link!!

When we were in Oz recently we tried to do a comparison of hardware prices... Australia vs South Africa. We didn't do an exhaustive comparison by any means... but what we saw was that computer hardware appeared to be cheaper here in SA... one example

Hubby has just purchased a new laptop... it's the HP Pavillion 17". He paid R11,000 for it at Incredible Connection. In Melbourne we found the HP Pavillion 15". The stats were the lower in addition to the screen being smaller. The price for this machine was $1910.

So... I would suggest that you pick up some drives before you head on 'down under' !!

If you need the Media Player functionality then the Mvix is the way to go. You have all your movies/pics etc on there and you then only need a TV to play it on. Don't have one just know about it and they get good reviews. The one you mentioned is the high up in the range with wireless capability. I see digitalplanet have them for R2283 without the harddrive. Uber cool !!!!

If you just need storage then the normal external HDD as described by Biker is the way to go. This will also be the cheaper option.

An internal HDD of 1TB/1000GB (this is a lot of data. :ilikeit: ) is in the region of R2500+.

Enjoy.

Your movies is currently on ....? VHS, DVD or HDD?

The MVix is available at Makro or digital planet amongst others.

My movings are currently on DVD's.

And yes I also think computer stuff is cheaper here in SA

Andre

I don't have one but in a similar postion re one would be handy.Currently i use external case for a 1TB drive to store my movies on.

Fine to play back on PC but not so great for being able to be played on a TV, without burning a DVD to do so anyway.

Cost of 1tb drive + external case R2500

Careful on that Digital Planet website if looking to buy from there .

the MivX 780 model is

R2900 without Hdrive

R7200 with a 1TB Hdrive

I recently bought a Seagate 1TB Hdrive from here.....

http://www.comx-computers.co.za/computer-s...?products=12771

Digital planet has a R4400 price tag differance - Just for the sake of a harddrive that can be bought for R2200

Just to note also, once a 1000Gb drive is formatted you'll be left with 931GB if your needing to do space calculations.

If your looking to just get your movies across the ditch, an external case + Hdrive would be alot cheaper.

Edited by 2un@

Hi

I have been eyeing the mvix out for some time but can't afford at the moment with the immi process :blush: .

Definitly worth it if you can afford. I would not get a HD less than 500gig though. The Mvix transforms all your DVD's to Dvix thus compressing the size. A mate has one and quality on TV is good. Added bonuss is putting all your mp3's on and wiring through your hifi.

Good luck

Cheers