Police clearance & PR

DesertDaisy

We will hopefully be going to Aus on a 457 visa, for which we understand only my hubby will need a police clearance cert. Once there, we plan on applying for PR. I have already got my SA police clearance. Will I need one from the UAE too? We have lived here for 2 years.

Hi DD,

We had Police Clearances, but were never asked for them when applying for the 457 visa. For PR you need clearances from every country you lived in previously.

Greetings,

Dreamy

We will hopefully be going to Aus on a 457 visa, for which we understand only my hubby will need a police clearance cert. Once there, we plan on applying for PR. I have already got my SA police clearance. Will I need one from the UAE too? We have lived here for 2 years.

I came to Aus using the same visa and I am almost 100% sure that you will need clearance from there; but I dont think either of you needs clearance for 457. I only needed it when I applied for permanent.

There are several other things you need to know about the limitations of the 457 such as when purchasing property u will need to apply for permission from Canberra. You cannot get Hex for Uni. You will need private medical cover and the partner cannot work.

At least, those are things I remember. Of course some may have changed.

Edited by Phillip

You cannot get Hex for Uni. You will need private medical cover and the partner cannot work.

Hi There,

Things have changed (Thank goodness) I am here on hubby's 457, and I am allowed to work, only not for a government organisation. For that you need PR, or citizenship.

I do not know what Hex is, I guess it is a kind of discount? I have enrolled at the Uni last week, and paid the full course fee, which is not too bad related to SA course fees. I find it very affordable, even if you have to pay the full amount. On 457 you do not qualify for discounts on studies.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hex is the Higher education scheme where the Govt pays your fees and you pay it back over time with extra tax .

I had to cough up for my youngsters first year at Uni and it was from memory about $7000. Now that we are permanent it doesn't apply

Thanks for the info, hopefully we will have PR by the time my young ones go to Uni!

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Phillip & Dreamy

Unfortunately the HECS-HELP scheme changed drastically for post 2005 students

"if you are a New Zealand citizen or holder of a permanent visa (except permanent humanitarian), you must pay 100% of your student contribution amounts for all the units on or before the census date.

You are not:

- eligible for any HECS-HELP assistance

- allowed to change your payment option unless you become an Australian citizen."

See this link.

I plan to post more on this topic under "Schools & Education" in due course.

Regards

Edited by JJV