Survival Kit - can u help?

Andrea

I am putting together a ‘survival kit’ for new immigrants to Adelaide. This is aimed at the families that arrive here and sign for a lease agreement before their container arrives. I’m sure there are lots of us out there that can remember camping in their new lounge room with sleeping bags, 2 borrowed chairs, a neighbours TV and an assortment of borrowed plates, glasses, etc, while waiting for that precious container to arrive and this can be twice as difficult for those families with children.

The idea is to put together a few boxes (4/5) with an assortment of goodies that would come in handy for families waiting for their containers and which they could ‘borrow’ for example, over a 2- 4 week period. Obviously, if you have secured furnished accommodation this wouldn’t apply or if you have made use of the ‘meet and greet’ service – you would be ok.

DH has unused office space for the boxes to be stored when not in use, but I don’t think he would be thrilled to have a lounge suite stored there :thumbdown: , so basically the items would be small or at least easy for one person to carry, eg. Small microwave, bar fridge, 51cm TV, 2 plate stove, etc.

If anyone has any item which they think would be handy to add to the ‘kit’ please PM me. I am happy to come and pick stuff up :whome: .

I have a bar fridge, small TV, playstation 1 with games (suitable for ages 5-11) to start the ball rolling, but would love to hear from others who can possibly add to this.

I’m sure most of you have some mismatched crockery, glasses, blankets, etc that would be good things to add or if you have some suggestions, please PM me.

Hi Andrea

What an awesome idea - so thoughful. Its so encouraging to see people who have made the journey and even though they are settled in their new lives are still willing to take the time to help others.

We are not going to Adelaide - but for Saffas in the other states / areas this seems like a great idea and perhaps we can get it going in each major centre? I'll be happy to get involved when we finally get there!

Well done!

Great idea Andrea - I will chat to you on the weekend and definitely add to the 'kit'.

Regards, Bronwyn

Yep, I've seen all the stuff in your shed :ilikeit:

Hi Andrea

What a great idea!! We're on our way to Adelaide (if hubby can get a job there) and think it will be awesome to have something like that!

Once we're settled, we'll also be happy to help.

Cheers

Tania

Guest Toktokkie

Hi Andrea

Ons is nog nie lank hier nie so het nog nie baie "ekstras" nie, ek het 'n rasper en 'n broodmes....sal dit vir Bronwyn gee as ek haar weer sien....

Dis min maar sal darm help.

Well done Andrea,people never cease to amaze me with this pay-it-forward idea what fantastic cameraderie amongst the forumites ! Will be going to QLD myself and I think someone else offered similar in Brisbane area.Great idea for all areas where there is a definite community of fellow saffers !!!

Shirls

Hello Andrea,

Thats such a thoughtful idea and I cant believe I found this thread. Just 10mins ago I was almost ina state of panic wondering how we are going to cope until the container arrives between 2 and 4 months later. Now I see your post and realise that ther is hope on the horizon.

I have a job in Adelaide which I need to begin on 6 October. Our LSD trip scheduled to begin 18 Sept has now turned into a LSD but with no return. We will arrive in Adelaide early October. Any ideas how we should proceed after arrival will be hugely appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Luke

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrea,

Just when I get stressed wondering how I am going to keep my 3 year old busy until our container arrives...you pop up with this great thread :ilikeit:

We are going/coming to Adelaide soon (hopefully Sept) and could use all the help we can get, and will definately contribute to the 'box' to make the next familys arrival a smooth transition. 1 important thing I can add is some wine glasses if there aren't any already :blink:

regards

Kerry

Will go and see what I can dig out Andrea. We will definitely have some stuff. I'll let you know :lol: