The Number-Crunchers ?

Ray51

This might not be of interest to most Forum-participants , yet :

- in U.K. , I'm told the widely-conflicting figures of between 650.000 and 1.5 mil South Africans living there , at any time ( ? ) ;

- can anyone suggest any such figures for Australia/NZ , Canada , U.S.A. , Europe , elsewheres ?

Guest Seoul Sister

Hey, hello Babes ! B)

How nice to see you again !!

I know there is a very official department in the UK, will remember the name in a minute who brought out an official report in 2005 stating that they have 1.5 million South African nationals within their borders...

In Holland the number for 2005 was 13 418. I can check that for you with the National Buro of Statistics.

Auckland also has official numbers on Saffers, but I have never seen the rest of NZ's numbers on us...

Apparently we are around 300 in Korea, and I hear almost 5000 in Taiwan - which seems a bit high !! :o

Will check it out a bit for you. Very good question !

Hope to see you around ! I tend to hang out in Chit-chat, please come join me and umhlanga (Caroline) anytime you want !

Lots of love from here

SS

:)

Hi Ray, was wondering where you were? B)

I tried to find out a while back but there's so many conflicting 'opinions' and numbers. I think quite a few poeple don't actually immigratre but just 'move'. So what are you then: on extended holiday, work visa :) ?

I don't know so it would be interesting to find out :o

"I tried to find out a while back but there's so many conflicting 'opinions' and numbers. I think quite a few poeple don't actually immigratre but just 'move'. So what are you then: on extended holiday, work visa <_< ?

I don't know so it would be interesting to find out :D

Hi Ray

I am a little 'lost' as to how I should 'interpret' your answer, maybe that's because I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not <_< I feel it is always better to ask and clarify before getting 'involved in a debate'. So ... are you being sarcastic Ray?

Maybe I put too much into the ending of your sentence:"in U.K. , I'm told the widely-conflicting figures of between 650.000 and 1.5 mil South Africans living there , at any time ( ? ) ;.." - My response question to that was an attempt to clarify what you meant by "at any time".

I have no reservation in sharing the information that I have found (not as if I am the only one that has google :D ) but if I feel that it is going to lead me into a string of 'verbal negativity' then I rather stay away from the topic.

Caroline

Guest Seoul Sister

Hey you guys, B)

No worries, it is one of the most wondered about topics ever. Since the South African government couldn't (in my opinion) really be bothered to keep statistics, :blink: it is difficult to figure out ! I am sure with this recent attempt at freezing things, with freezing all of the bank accounts, :angry: they must have an idea of how many ppl we are talking about here. They may not know to which country ppl have gone, but they must have a clue of how many accounts are frozen at the moment... And embassies and consulate-generals must also have an idea of how many ppl are living in their country at the moment, especially in places where Saffers need visas and permits to come live and in places like Holland, where you have to register with the local authorities to be allowed to live.....BIG problem, authorities don't just give their info away...

But I am looking into it a bit.. Will let you know what I have found, official numbers, if they are to be found anywhere... <_<

Chat later.

Love from here

SS

:)

- can anyone suggest any such figures for Australia/NZ , Canada , U.S.A. , Europe , elsewheres ?

In a recent visit to South Africa, Helen Clark the Prime Minister of New Zealand refered to 45 000 South Africans living in New Zealand.

Where she exactly got the figures I do not know. We tend to think that there are closer to 60 000 ex South Africans in NZ, but I have not yet had the time to count them all. <_<

It could be that her numbers only include those (SA's) who still hold SA citizenship, maybe it's from the last Census (2001), or the figure could actually be spot on, who knows. But it does give a rough indication. That there are many SA's in NZ is extremely evident in certain parts of the country.

Not sarcastic , Caroline !

It's just that the way the system works in the U.K. , people are there for up to 6 years , before they attend to the Big Prize : achieving naturalisation ( as in : U.K. passport , bliss of blisses ! ) ;

but the actual numbers , of those who have been through all this , in various countries :

remain mostly unconfirmed !

There are an estimated 20000 - 40000 (some say more) South Africans living and working in the United Arab Emirates (Dubai/Abu Dhabi). No permanent residents though - only on working or visit visas.

Salaam , Daisy ,

I was one of them , up und down Sheik Zaayed Rd , and from Fujairah via Sharjah and Deira and Satwa , to Jumeirah , Jebel Ali and Abu Dhabi ( never forgetting the pit-stop at The Alamo ! Is it still there ? )...

I'm Abu DHabi based Ray, haven't heard of The Alamo. But the traffic is still horrific in Dubai.

I really like Abu Dhabi, and am actually not that keen on leaving.... But we have to go were the work is, and there is none in SA......

Daisy,

when next you are in DXB , InshAllah :

opposite the beautiful Jumeirah mosque and the Spinney's supermarket ,

on the beach side of the Jumeirah Beach road , as you were to turn towards the Russian Beach , there is ( or used to be ) a small complex , opening onto the Beach Club and housing , inter alia , the infamous Alamo restaurant and bar ;

maybe you can let me know , if that's all still there ( or already demolished again , to provide space for yet another 7*******hotel Super-Wonder ???)

Shukran!

• 2 weeks later...

hi ray

i stayed in dxb in jumeirah 2 near "park n shop", i was last there feb 2005 and yes, the alamo was still going strong, don't know for how long though.