Nursing agencies

Markus&Susan

We are wanting to move from SA to Aus. I am a midwife and want to work in this field when over there. Which agencies have the best repuation for assisting nurses and midwives to get over? Which should I avoid? I hadn't nursed in 8 years but have been back for a month now and am getting mixed responses to my CV. Any advice out there?

Hi Susan,

Firstly welcome to the forum and good luck in future endevours.I too am a midwife and also had a break of 10 years then went back doing sessions last August.

Personally I would contact the Australian Nursing Council first to establish your eligibility to practice.Each state has different rules regarding registration requirements so if you know where you want to settle then that will also help.There are quit a few post about nursing,just type nursing in the search topic box top right.

Not sure what stage you are at in the proccess but it may be advisable to book a IELTS as there is a backlog at the british council of around 4-5 months.You would also possibly need a verification of your registration from SANC which costs R500 and has to go straight to registering authority in Aus and not to you.Some councils also require copies in english of your course transcripts which you can get from your training establishment.

Personally I have not contacted any agencies as yet because I am busy with above and wanted to get my ducks in a row but if you just google search "nursing agencies" then heeps will come up.also www.careerone.com.au (I think thats right ) would also give you some insight.

Hope this helps or maybe you knew all this already and I am waffling !

Cheers Shirls

Hi Susan,

Prepare yourself for a lenghty process.

There are several issues but the most important one is that you must have worked a minimum of 20 hours per week for the past year.

This was the starting requirement for us when my wife started the process,16 months ago.

The fact that you have not nursed for 8 years might be the reason for the responses to your CV.

At least you have started nursing again and that is important, irrispective if you want ot come to Oz or anywhere else,Kanada,UAE etc.

The are however a demand for Registered Nurses across Australia and just for interest,there were nearly 74 000 babies born in Victoria during the last year.

Your biggest hurdle will be your registration with the Australia Nursing boards.

You need to decide in which state you are going to live and then start the registration process with that specific Nursing board.

Ours took 14 months, you send your paperwork, they not happy with something and send it back, you change it to what they want,pay R300 postage fees again and send it off. They not happy again, send your stuff back again - and so it continues.

Once you recieve your registration certificate, Nursing agencies will respond very fast.

The agency we used now tell Nurses to first obtain the Nursing Certificate and then they will assist them.

The registration at the various nursing boards is between the nurse and the board, the nursing agencies can not help much with the registration.

I can understand the Nursing agencies point of view because they make arrangements with the various Hospitals to place nurses and then they end up with egg on their faces because off the months and months delays with the registration at the various nursing boards.

It took twelve months since the interview with the hospital until the date that we recieved the visa.

It is very important to get as much as possible paperwork together.

Certificates of all your training ever done, the more you have the better it will be.

They will need proof of training from the first day you started.

Take the time and do it as thorough as possible.

The nursing agencies will also need a reference letter from the Hospitals you worked at, on an official hospital letter head.

Might be as issue because you have not worked for 8 years.

Don't become dispondend, see it as a 12 to a 18 month project and work towards it.

Do addional training where possible,attend as many courses as you can, get the certificates.

It will take a huge effort (and costs) from you and sacrifices will have to be made by your husband and kids.

Its will be tough, i speak from experience, but worth it.

Experience your first week in a safe,normal,first world enviroment and you will know its all worth it.

What other choice do you have looking at South Africa today?

We also looked at the future of SA before we gave up everything we ever worked for and the worst being so far away from our families.(luckily they are all some where along in the process)

And that was before the electricity supply was so bad, petrol so expensive, interest rates went up(apparently with another 2% soon).

We were advised by family in the financial sector about possible future laws that might be implimented.

The possibility of medical aids becoming just one goverment medical aid and the pension/provident funds also becoming just one goverment controled pension fund.

Just think how nicely you can retire at the age of 65, recieveing a state pension, with the current goverment looking after your money.

Now i have no problem with that IF the goverment of the day do not steal, defraud, waste that money.

But look what the current goverment are doing. There is no hope.

Manto have already started with the private health care.

(do some research and see where the well know private medical aids are investing now)

The new proposal that earners over R60 000 per year have to contribute a portion to a goverment pension is there,they will implement it somewhere in the future.

There is a 47 page document available with information about that, a lot of nice words and then in between a line or two telling you exactly what they are planning to do.

2 months before i resigned we noted additional money being taken off my salary, when i queried it was for a compulsory goverment sick pay fund.

No warning, no information, just done.

And there is more to come.

Moving to Oz or anywhere for that matter is not easy.

Settling in Oz is not easy, it is tough don't let anybody fool you.

But what other choice do South Africans have?

Stay and make it a better place?

We tried, did some volunteer work in rural areas, helped where we can but in the end after all is said and done, to us, there is no future for our children.

Just hang in there, work the required time and start your process.

Best of luck and keep safe.

Willie

Hi Susan

There are a few nursing agencies that does 457vis Recruitment.

Try this one first, if you are thinking about Brisbane:

Midwives for sunny and warm Brisbane, AUSTRALIA

Ad ID: 53959114

Date Listed: 29/05/2008

Hospitals in warm and sunny Brisbane, AUSTRALIA, urgently require Midwives!!!

What do you need to secure this position?

- At least two years experience in an acute medical setting

- Post Graduate Qualifications (preferred not essential)

- Registration with the Queensland Nurses Council (or application in progress)

- Excellent Communication Skills

- Sponsorship on offer for suitable international candidates

For further information please contact Clare at MediRecruit Australia on 1800 633 128 or + 61 3 8866 1999 or email clare@medirecruit.com

MediRecruit Australia also has these roles available in other states of Australia.

You can try the following agencies:

www.codeblue.com.au

www.nursingaustralia.com.au

www.mediserv.com.au

www.australianrecruiting.com.au

www.stjudes.com.au

www.healthstaffrecruitment.com.au

http://www.affinitynursing.com.au/

www.plexusrecruitment.com.au

ALL OF THE ABOVE WILL GIVE YOU A TICK-LIST OF ALL DOCUMENTS NEEDED. FIRST THING TO DO: PASSPORTS, UNABRIDGED BIRTH CERTIFICAT & BOOK AN IELTS TEST.

Hope this will help

Madelein

WOW Thanks Madelein that is quite a comprehensive list.Looks like I am going to be busy this weekend submitting CV'S ! I like Susan am at the beginning of "the process",so it certainly speeds things up if one knows where to look !

Hi Susan

have a look at this website www.southernhealth.com.au-They have a nurses support unit that could help you/sponsoring.

I think you have to have worked in the acute setting for 2 to 3 yrs prior to emigrating.

You could also give BBT a try.

Don't give up!

Thanks for all the help and advice. I have started getting paperwork together and applying for documents. It is quite an emotional roller coaster ride which will only get more bumpy in the next few months. Is there hope to registered as a midwife? I am not an ADM I did the intergrated course in SA. I was advised to get registered with South Australia and then if I get a position in another state apply for mutual recognition, is this sound advise? Someone suggested doing extra courses an suggstion on these, I thought of doing a La Leche breast feeding course to advise mothers. Once again thanks for everything.

Stunning to know there will be SA midwifes around in OZ !! Do you do homebirths as well ? Do anyone know what Oz's attitude is regarding homebirths ?

www.midwives.org.au

Hi Alida,

this is a stunning website for midwives and moms-to-be and gives you a good indication of what is available in OZ !

Wannabe Ozzy Midwife