Aussie Fauna: Feral Rabbit

Guest Mauritz

Guest Mauritz

Feral Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)

Despite the introduction of myxomatosis and RHD (rabbit haemorrhacic disease, better known as rabbit calici virus), rabbits are Australia's most destructive pest animal.

The negatives:

Farmers loose more than $110 million each year.

Over-grazing by these feral animals remove plant cover and cause soil erosion.

The destruction of native plants - they love seedlings and can ring bark trees and shrubs (plants up to 3.5m high). They ring bark fruit trees, vines etc.

Competition with native wildlife for food and shelter - thus, exposure of the native animals to predators such as cats and foxes.

Feral rabbits are a known or perceived threat for 84 species listed under the EPBC Act (Environment Protection & Biodiversity Conservation) ; 13 mammals, 13 birds, 1 fish, 1 amphibian, 2 reptiles, and 54 plant species.

The Facts:

Rabbits can start breeding at 3 months of age.

Gestation period of 4 weeks - litters from 4-7 kittens.

During the 'good' years a female can be continuously pregnant for 8 months.

History:

In 1859, 24 wild European rabbits were introduced in Barwon Park . By 1926 the numbers were estimated at 10 billion!!!. The rate of spread was the fasted of any colonising mammal anywhere in the world - 130 km's per year.

In the local Stanthorpe paper, there's a foto of a Stanthorpe farmer - the headline: "Rabbit Plague Returns." This bloke is a local councilor and one of the largest vegetable producers in the area. His words: "we loose up to 100 000 plants a night."

What is interesting is that this property is right next to the property I've been 'controlling' rabbits for 4 years. In the beginning I shot an average of 8 rabbits with the bow in 45 minutes. Today I can walk with a spotlight and the .22 for 3 hours and if I'm lucky, I'll get 2. Next door it's a plague, meaning that the ones I get at night are the ones from next door.

I'm going to see this bloke tonight - see if I can 'control' his little darlings. The damage must cost them ten's of thousands.

These animals are everywhere and nothing stop them. They can turn bushland into a desert in a matter of months. The interesting thing is that the Aussies don't like eating them, although you pay a fortune in Sydney and Melbourne for rabbit in a restaurant. Personally, I like eating rabbit and I've tried every recipe available. I don't waste them, bring them home for the dogs. In short, come on - do Australia a favour and start eating rabbit <_<

Here in Queensland there are up to $20 000 fines for keeping a pet rabbit.

I'll give you my address - would you mind sending me a couple of frozen ones in an Esky?? Ek sal my vrou kry om bietjie haaspastei te maak, ek is seker ek kan my Pa uit Suid Afrika lok daarmee...

Hou op brag, Mau, dis daai mini-swartluiperd op jou property wat jou help om die haaspopulasie so laag te hou. Sien, jy moenie hom skiet nie :ilikeit:

n paar hasie dinge...........

Hasie in Spur..........inspirasie

Hasie in drein...........blokasie

Hasie in tuimeldroer..........spinasie

Een wit hasie tussen 15 swartes...........Basie

:blink:

LOL, Gean

Sien dis tipies die probleem, bring 'n vreemde dier in wat nie natuurlike vyande het om hulle te vang en getalle in toom te hou nie, en hulle teel aan soos ... hase