Winter in Stanthorpe, Queensland

Guest Mauritz

Guest Mauritz

It rains, it's miserable and we have green grass - can you believe that??? Green grass in nearly June in Stanthorpe is like snow in December in the Namib Desert.

Landscaping is out today - 'draadtrekking' is out, because I must be close to home on Thursdays & Fridays - wife works and someone must be there for the kids. What do a frustrated Suidwes Boer do on a rainy day. Books of course - yes, the bloody books. See, you put the $2.00 you made the last month in one column - under 'Income?' and the $20 000 you spend on Doughnuts & Coffee in the 'InjouM@er' column - then I sit back and let the bleddy PC (Political Correct) PC (Personal Computer) do the complicated calculation - I twiddle my thumbs and pray for a profit. Then, suddenly it spits a laughable figure out and I run for Mrs Chardonnay - yes, this early in the morning. She always make those figures look bleddy good.

We travelled around Aus in 1996 to 'find a suitable place' Down Under. I loved Darwin, the better half loved Adelaide - I am the smart one, so I suggested the middle - Brisbane. We quickly learned that your precious Banana Rands get sucked up very, very quickly in the Big City - so we settled in Toowoomba (means cesspool in Aboriginal, I think). Later me moved to the Granite Belt - Stanthorpe - 'pleasant winters' they said, stormy summers and lots of wine and fruit & things.

My first winter in Stanthrope - 2 weeks of -14°C - I nearly died. Can you believe that one??? I didn't want to go to the UK, the US of A, Canada or NZ - I wanted a nice sunny spot. Where do I find myself - in the bleddy coldest place in Queensland.

All the city slickers join us here on weekends - they just LOVE the cold. The little love doves move into a wood cabin, make a big fire - open a bottle of red and 'vry mekaar dik.' Why in the bleddy cold - I want to go and do that on the beach somewhere - what's wrong with people????

My first summer on the 'farm' - I woke up - cannon shots all over the place - I ducked for cover searching for my CZ75 under the pillow. A hail cannon - here in the 'country' every Joe Bloke with 4 cauliflowers and a 'appelkoos boom) owns a hail cannon. This one bugger has a fear for clouds - even little ones - you can't even see the thing through a magnifying glass - then he switches that hail cannon on full automatic and blast the sparrows out of the sky. Hard life here in the country - I'm telling you.

This year, everything is different - I can smell it in the air. Yesterday, we got hail, a week ago sleet - every now and then severe frost, then these amazing 'spring' days. I can feel 'ontug innie lug' - time for the Bushman to go hunting or something. This morning my little darlings stood outside in the rain waiting for the bus - rain in May - tomorrow I'm moving to the desert.

I'm not one that can sit still in a box (house) - the fire is going, the Ridgebacks & Wolfhounds are all curled up and cosy. I'm a ice block - no place for a Suidwes Bushman.

Stuff the 'books', profits & things - I'm going to make up a few arrows, plot my next hunting trip on the maps & GPS, sharpen my knives and get the biltong kas ready. I'm on holiday today.

Mau, stywe drukkies for your little darlings!!

You gotta be free!!! Go hunting!! Ride the sh?t out the horses!! Los vir mej Chardonnay, sy slaap nog!! LOL!!

Hi Mauritz

In your last post you made mention of Toowoomba. What is it that you disliked about Toowoomba. The reason I ask is we will be landing in Brisbane on the 19th June and have been thinking of settling down in Toowoomba. I have never seen the place, apart from what I have read on the net and photos. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Michael

Guest Mauritz
Hi Mauritz

In your last post you made mention of Toowoomba. What is it that you disliked about Toowoomba. The reason I ask is we will be landing in Brisbane on the 19th June and have been thinking of settling down in Toowoomba. I have never seen the place, apart from what I have read on the net and photos. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Michael

I didn't like Toowoomba 12 years ago - it used to be a very 'clicky' place, very conservative. Today it is a different place an I wouldn't mind living there, although it's getting bigger and bigger every year - sometimes a 'city' atmosphere.

Due to its conservative nature (in the past), Toowoomba attracted like-minded individuals, especially the very conservative Souf Efrican - I met very, very strange people there.

Today, I can't fault Toowoomba. Many of the Aussies in the surrounding country towns don't like the place, because of the thousands of Sudanese. Coming from iAfrica, you won't even notice it. A good place to settle

Edited by Mauritz