Costs of having babies in Aus

Dedrei

Hi Girls

Just a question, been thinking about this and wondering. :D

How much do you need to be able to support a baby. I know back in South Africa my friends used to say that you need at least R2000 a month to cover for all the food, nappies, childcare etc. What is this figure in Aus? Anybody have ideas, a breakdown would be nice of of the different costs.

You know me, like to plan things and would love to just know if we would be able to afford it. This is all assuming that we have PR when we have baby one day.

Thanks in advance

xx

Hi D, If everyone wanted to wait 'till they can afford kids before they have them, there'd be no kids in the world! What I'm saying is: having kids is costly and no matter how well you plan, there will always be SOME costs you did not prepare for. Once that cute little angel arrives, all your planning goes down the drain and with that your life savings! If you have to choose between the most adorable baby outfit and bread & milk, the outfit usually wins!.... And if you're anything like me, you'll give your left arm for your kids - almost been there a couple of times - luckily it stopped at the last cent in my purse!! :)

We had 2 kids : the first one we were young, with very little money but we still managed to give our child everything (even if we had to give up things for ourselves in the process). The 2nd child we had 7 years later when we thought we would be able to afford another child (and at that stage we had more than enough savings, good income etc. - so it made sense). Still, the expenses were huge and we ended up having to live to a strict budget. Baby nr2 also had everything even if we had to give up stuff for ourselves. So, if you compare the 2 situations, nothing was really different..... (I'm not saying to have kids if you can obviously not afford to even balance the budget as it is, but it is an illusion that you can ever "afford" to have children). Rather ask yourself if you are willing to put your own needs on hold for the next 18 years..... Just go for it - it's worth every cent and even your left arm!! :D After all, I'm dying for an excuse to shop at Pumpkin Patch!!.... <_<

Hey alweer. Ek het hierdie toevallig vandag raakgeloop - dit hoort jou 'n idee te gee wat doeke kos (ek sien hulle het ook "formula" & speelgoed). Dalk sal hulle in Cairns aflewer - jy kan net altyd probeer.....

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi Dedrei,

I agree with Riekie. One thing that I would do before taking the plunge, is to ensure that I have comprehensive medical coverage. Giving birth is an expensive exercise and you never know what kind of complications may occur, sending your medical expenses through the roof !!

Love

SS

<_<

Thanks girls!! :whome:

Asked around at work as well. This is what I got from them...

New borns easily use about 120 nappies a month. So that makes it about $120, I think.

Costs for daycare is quite expensive, around $56 a DAY :holy: in some areas in Cairns. So this is the main area for concern, cause I would need to go back to work to earn some $$.

Most medical aids here, you have a year waiting period before they cover you for pregnancy. So that's fine, cause we will probably only get PR in about a year's time and would then also be on Medicare and have been on private healthcare for about a year already.

Immunisations I hear is free. So that's a plus.

You see, I am an accountant and I always work to a budget and work out things before getting them, you know :P So I have 100's of list and things before I really do something with our money. Love to plan you see....

xx

Guest Sunshine Sister
Love to plan you see....

Hey Koekoes ! :P

Don't even worry about it, a baby will quickly cure you of that !! :holy: It was the quickest I learnt what chaos and not-being-in-control really mean. :P I do think it is good to keep costs in mind. Our biggest costs in the first couple of months were definitely nappies and milk. Have you ever thought of working from home, I know in Europe and the US accountants and web designers are of the most sought after work-from-home professionals... Just a thought, then you may be able to stay at home with your baby longer. Especially if you can build up a client base now. (?)

Love

Koekie.. :whome:

:P

Hi Dedrei,

If you are able to stay at home with your child, you could breastfeed, and save on the cost of milk, bottles, and all the other gadgets that come with that! That is something that you need to plan for beforehand, but sometimes it does not work out like you planned, and you have to settle for plan B (or C, D, E......) :whome: as you will learn one day :holy: But don't worry, we will all be here for you when that day arrives!

Greetings,

Dreamy