Recycled / Handmade Paper

Cindylou

Hi Guys

Well, this week I had the absolute pleasure of an unexpected visit from my brother (from Perth). Although he was out on business and therefore "at the grindstone" for most of his stay we managed to get in some quality time (thanx, boetie, love you lots).

One thing he mentioned was that an SA cousin sent an invitation to her wedding, which was "quarantined" as the envelope was made from recycled paper; you know the stuff - bits of leaves, flowers and elephant dung! The cost to retrieve the invitation? AUD45! Needless to say the invitation didn't reach its destination.

Maybe a thing to mention to your SAffer connections "please don't send hand made paper / envelopes as I can't afford it" :D

C'Lou

Very funny, I can just picture the paper made of everything quarantine get all worked up about. With scrapbooking such a popular hobbie these days you will also have to make sure you don't send home made cards with pressed flowers, shells, etc.

:holy: Just realised I had a handmade paper wedding invitation and in my handbag when we arrived in January, and a handmade paper wedding cake holder (minus the cake) with dried flowers and leaves pressed into it! :P Good thing they didn't search me, I didn't even think of it! :whome:

That's exactly why I decided to post this thread - it's not something I would have thought about at all! :whome:

I know my cousin would have sent a few invitations to family in Aus, and I wonder how many arrived at their intended destination.

oh yes...the day we arrived in Perth we went through customs and they saw a snow globe that they thought was vegemite(???) (nogal..why would a Saffer bring vegemite into the country..just having immigrated here)

Anyway they made me unpack the suitcase and in it was a book that my workmates had made for me with pictures and letters from them all...and the used handmade paper..made from eggcarton. The woman insisted that it was made from elephant dung and I had to rip my book up....I was devestated. So dont even take the chance...

*giggle* I'm just picturing myself going to PnP once a week and buying my dozen eggs carefully wrapped in elephant dung!

LOL