Where the safers on the Central Coast?

zappa

I was just wondering.....in Sydney and I have bumped into quite a few South Africans, in Perth as well. Besides the bloke up the road who owns a secondhand shop, why are there so few safers on the NSW Central Coast? I just think the area is great....Lake Macquarie, Hawkesbury River, Brisbane Water and Tuggerah Lakes are all under 20 mins drive, beaches, malls, trains, jobs, property way cheeper than in sydney, state forests, good hospitals and schools, etc. Loads of ozzies are also doing the daily train commute to Sydney as well from the coast but yet it seems the safers around here are a bit thin compared to some other places. Wonder why?

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi Zappa,

Nice to see you again.

This is an excellent question. We are in Syds, my husband flies internationally at least twice a month. He works mostly from home (when in Australia), but does drive down into the CBD every now and then for the odd meeting with clients or at his offices. I am a big city girl and have never really even considered moving out of the hustle and bustle to the north. In all honesty after Seoul even Sydney is a bit sad and lacking in buzz for me. I think our major reasons for moving here, rather than north are 1. because it is closer to the airport and city, 2. we like the choice and variety the city offers us, 3. we had two months from applying for our visa until we landed and information on Sydney was much easier to find (read ignorance on all areas out of Sydney). My hubs sat next to a guy on the plane from Newcastle recently (an Aussie) who was SO nice and friendly, he was a walking advertisement for his region. He invited us for dinner, any time we are in his neighbourhood and told my hubs all about his fantastic environment... After this incident we have been wondering about our decision and about Newcastle and surrounds. We are very actively saving for a weekend home and have been wondering about going north with it..

I am very interested to hear all about your experiences, especially with regards to forms of mass transport into the city (ferries, trains )/ commuting times and variety/ choice offered in terms of shopping / schools/ sporting and extra activities for children. A major reason for me to move from the city would be if I could own a house right on the beach !!

Just my thoughts. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Love

SS

:D

Edited by Sunshine Sister

• 2 weeks later...

hi blondie and ray

sorry guys, i've been very scarce as the new job has me travelling all over, i leave again tomorrow for cameroon and then to singapore then malaysia so have not had too much time to visit here anymore but hopefully this will change now that i'm settling.

i'm a small town guy which is why i don't like the big city's like sydney, hate triffic and need my open beaches and green bushes etc. it's like a big spread out city i guess. but i like to have a big city nearby. i pass through sydney every say 2 weeks on avergae and i find it unfriendly and the roads and highways are a mess and poorly planned in my opinion. the place makes me feel clostraphobic. you can get beach and water property on the central coast from say $500 000 up. check out realestate.com for places like terrigal, wamberal, avoca, forrestors beach, check my spelling through. loads of sailing and fishing places. it takes me 1.5 hours from my house to sydney airport for example. if it's traffic rush i'll go with the train, not traffic rush with a hired car will take the same time. central coast is very spread out, some areas are dodgy , terrigal is very nice, i wanted to buy a house there but could not afford. just bought a house in glenning valley and staying at the entrance until lease ends in oct. avoid the 2 shire capitals of gosford and wyong in my opinion as that's where centrelink oxygen thieves hang out. i love it here, loads commute to sydney from all over the coast, drive to the nearest station and train to central for example and loads drive as well. i personally couldn't travel 2-3 hours a day to work but loads do. there are fairly large malls like erina fair and westfield tuggarah , stocklands bay village, etc. goto go sleep.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Iam brand new to this forum. So glad to see someone is on the Coast. We are moving to Terrigal the last weekend of January next year. We are one of those stupid families that actually willingly do this migrating thing twice. We moved to New Zealand 10 years ago and now we want to feel some sun!!! We have 2 daughters and they will be in Years 7 and 8 next year. I would love advice about a good school. We are looking at Terrigal High. Can't afford Central Coast private school and Green Point Christian school (slightly cheeper) is full. Erina High is a possibility too. So if you can help please do! My husband will join the medical practice in Bateau Bay. Hope to hear from you or anyone else.

Minette Brits

:blush:

Welcome Minette

Wow- you are brave, but maybe it will be easier this time around? The weather here in Ozz is so similar to South Africa.It also looks familiar.We had a lekker Pta donderstorm last week here on the Gold Coast and I just sat in front of the window and watched it....

Cant help with the school being full except give one bit of advice. Badger the school for a place. Many people decide to leave unexpectedly.

keep us posted!

Hi Zappa

Are you still on the Coast? We are moving to Terrigal next January. Any advice re good high schools? We have 2 daughters, years 7 and 8 next year. Looking at Terrigal High at this stage.

Minette

Edited by nzmeerkat