Catholic Communities

Guest May

Guest natalie3

Thats a good question May..being a catholic myself id also like to know the answer to that one...i noticed the parishes here in SA are becoming more modern in the way they do things...i wonder what they are like in oz...

Anyone know if there is a large catholic following in brisbane?

Natalie,

Thanks for putting in the Brisbane ?, I forgot.

I am always reading how lonely people are in their new surroundings and I saw a thread on how supportive the one church was. I am hoping that with the large following the Catholic Church has we will feel a little less lost and it will help us to intergrate more.

My sons attend Catechism classes and have just joined cub scouts so I am hoping that this will help them settle in and make friends with children of similar values when we get to Brisbane.

I am all for the South African gatherings and holding on to one's heritage but you have to balance this with the need to embrace the new way of life.

May

Edited by May

Hi May

The Catholic Church is Oz is big........and very well attended. Both my kids have done the re-conciliation(confession)/First Communion and Confirmation.

The Church here seem to be far mnore relaxed, but that the end of the day I think it depends on your parish priest.

We have a wonderful Priest (Father Joseph) he is Vietnamese, and the kids/youngsters adn adults alike love him to bits. he really gets envbolved with the youth.

He organises Cricket Teams and Soccer teams and they compete with other parishes. He is just wonderful.

He took over out parish from another priest 4 years ago, and what a difference he has made. I have moved out of that parish area , but my kids will not go to another parish, they just love listenning to Father Joe.

Even my husband who is not Catholic, loves coming to church with us!!!

The Catholic schools are probably the biggest of all the Semi-Private schools in Australia, and they have some of the best school.

The LOTE (language other than English) that is offerered by the Catholic school is normally Italian. I dont think you need to guess to hard as why!!!

I think if you find the right parish, you will find that it will be a fullfilling experience for both you as a parent and for your children.

Regards

Enrica

My boys go to a Catholic School in Sydney the education is great the community support and love is exceptional. I love the way the principal knows each childs name as well as the siblings and the parents. The community really pulls together and its been the best support in helping to settle into a new country. My boys have never had a day when they don't want to go to school and we love the small school environment. Our second language at school is Japenese?

S

Guest natalie3

Thats soo cool to hear...

i also love japanese...have some "beginner's japanese" cd's i listen to in the car to help me learn the language...would be a big bonus if my child had that as a second language!

Hi Ladies,

my 5c...

We are living in a regional town and have 3 smallish parishes here coupled to the 3 Catholic schools.

We are Christians but not Catholic, and my kids attend a Catholic school, and I can fully fletch for what have been said about their openness, friendliness, welcomeness, and all other -nesses you can think off. There seems to be that feeling of they actually care!!!

We went to the invitation night of the Catholic high school last night and that is exactly the same. There is a general feeling of welcome, friendliness and care.

What I have gathered here locally is that the parish make an effort to welcome you and ensure that you are okay and settling in. But that I can say for my local church as well. We received a warm friendly welcome.

Visit them as soon as you have landed and they will help where they can!

D B)

ps our kids do Jap as well.

Edited by Danie

Just by the way guys - you with youngsters are in for a treat - with the Pope leading the Catholic event, World Youth Day in Sydney in July - the largest gathering of young people anywhere in the world. Period. Should be awesome!