Leave Furniture in SA, Fill container with Food?

DeniseF

Well after reading these posts on cravings for Ouma rusks, Spur sauce and the likes, firstly I'm now hungry but am wondering if I shouldn't perhaps stock up on groceries like Mrs Halls chutney, brown onion soup & gravy, spices etc............... and of course Spur sauce.

Does anyone know if these can go in the container in tupperware or vacuumpacked(spices & gravy).

I was hoping that I could at least take the first months main groceries (not meat etc of course), with from SA, and not spend our precious SA rands on arrival for food. ???

Thanks

Airmail

Are you being serious??

Food is a complete NO-NO in a container!!!

Are you being serious??

Food is a complete NO-NO in a container!!!

That's what I was going to say!

No man - that would not be a good idea. You're going to a new country - where they have new products for you to try.

If you take food over, it's going to run out eventually - then you'll have to buy the local food anyway.

If you really verlang too much - there are SA shops there

We are packing our container with all our furniture, and whatever space is left, we will fill with things like Mrs Balls, Robertson spices, All Gold, mint crisp, etc. Some foodstuffs are allowed, like spices, chocolate, etc. Just declare them, and you'll be fine. Nothing wrong with saving some $ for the first while, when using up your RSA products! Just make sure of the expiry dates, don't buy more than you can use before they expire. We are taking things that we are really going to miss that side, and can only get hold of by paying a lot for them in a RSA shop, so why not save while you have the chance?

Most food containing milk and egg products, except for chocolate (which has milk in it), are not allowed. For instance, mayo, contains egg, not allowed. No seeds either.

Hope it helps a bit!

Cheers

Tania

Guest wilna

Ons is nou 5 maande hier en ek gebruik nogsteeds die wasgoedseep, skottelgoedseep, tandepasta en staysoft wat ek in ons container saam gebring het..........het geen kos gebring nie, wou nie 'n kans vat nie.

Edited by wilna

Ons is nou 5 maande hier en ek gebruik nogsteeds die wasgoedseep, skottelgoedseep, tandepasta en staysoft wat ek in ons container saam gebring het..........het geen kos gebring nie, wou nie 'n kans vat nie.

Hi Wilna

PM my asb, het voorstel om verdere besparing op huishoudelike voorraad te he.

Groete

Onthou om niks met natural beeswax & honey te bring nie... 'n paar jaar terug was daar groot drama, veral in NZ maar tot 'n mate ook in Aus, die bye industrie het amper in duie gestort agv mites wat van oorsee ingebring is.

Mens dink dis overkill, totdat jy besef jy gaan na 'n eiland (ja Aus is groot, maar nog steeds in EILAND) waar daar waarskynlik nie natural enemies is vir goed wat inkom nie, dan vat dit oor. Kyk maar hoe het die haas-populasie hande uitgeruk, in beide NZ en Aus.

I'm not so sure about the spices, we were told they are not allowed to bring over, so I just didn't. Didn't pack any other food, or cleaning products. Bringing chocolates....you can't be serious. Don't you think they'll melt? They have chocolates here you know.

I still find the products strange, but the supermarkets are stacked and you try and test new things until you find something you like, it's not a huge disaster.

Ek dink het sal ook soos Wilna maak ek skoonmaak goed ens. saam vat. Dis jammer oor die kos gedeelte want ek het sekere resepte waarvoor my kinders altyd vra, en onderandere gebruik die een Mrs Balls Chutney.

I tried out a sample online shopping - Coles - was the only site I could find in a hurry, and there were lots of things I could not find, perhaps it's just that shop.

Thanks for all your advice and responses.

Hi julle ouens

Waar kan ek'n lys kry van hierdie goed van wat ek mag en nie mag saam vat nie.

Ons pak ons container oor 3 weke en as daar plek is sak ek ook graag 'n paar

extra goedjies wil saam vat

I tried out a sample online shopping - Coles - was the only site I could find in a hurry, and there were lots of things I could not find, perhaps it's just that shop.

What was it you couldn't find? Give me a list and I'll let you know if it's available here.

You can buy Mrs Ball's at Coles, thats where I buy mine from. Even Boerewors!!!

If all else fails you could order on line from Satooz and Springbokfoods.

Hi Miri

Jy kan gaan loer op die Aus Quarantine and Inspection Service se site hier Dis waar ek my info gekry het. As jy nie seker is oor 'n produk nie, los eerder of kontak hulle direk en vra. Wees eerder seker as wat hulle jou 'n paar honderd Aussie Dollars charge om van jou goed ontslae te raak. Hoop dit help!

Hi All!

Don't strees. You are not coming to a small Island in the middle of now where. You are coming to Australia, and it is civilised. I get the general feel, and is talking out of my own experience, because of not knowing what is going on here, you feel like bringing everything you are familiar with. We also did not bring any food over, and I did not pack any in the container, except a small tin of Inge's growing up milk. You will be surprised. There are a lot of things here, and even more and better than in SA. It is true, some thing is difficult to come by, but like Nilo said, you can buy Mr Balls, get rooibos tea, and even buy Boerewors. You will just have to know where. We have been here 2 weeks, and today was the first I was able to eat Boerewors - but I did not ask the right questions to my friends. There is always somebody that knows where! And was the Boerewors lekker!! I am very particular in a lot of things, but so far, if I did not find something specific that I used in SA, I was able to find some very good substitutes, except for the Boerewors. I did bring some toothpase. conditioner, sjampoos, creams, etc over, so I will still need to explore this. But I did find a shop which is similar to Clicks. It also has a lot of International brands and then Australian brands, but I managed to get everything I was looking for, and it works perfectly as well. So, relax!!

Miri,

Die beste is om geen kos in die container te pak nie. Die containers raak ontsaglik warm en die goed mag dalk bederf raak. Ek stel voor as jy kinders het en hulle is nog baie klein, om van hulle gunstelinge in jou tas of handbagasie te pak. En onthou net om dit te verklaar. Dit mag net nie vars produkte wees soos vleis, vrugte en gewonde melk nie. Enige geblikte of geseelde kos kan werk. Maar ek moet se, my dogtertjie het ek niks voor saam gebring nie, en sy het nog nie haar neus vir enige iets opgetrek nie. Jy kry oats, weet-bix, coco-pops, nesquik en al die goeters hier. Die enigste ding is dat gewone Chips hier glad nie is soos in SA nie, maar dit proe dieselfde. Tamatiesous, koop jy Heinz, dit proe net soos All Gold. Moenie te veel worry nie. En as julle Brisbane toe kom, laat weet ons net. Ons sal jy gou by die regte winkels kry.

Groete,

Maritza

Sterkte julle!

Hi Airmail,

If you do indeed land in Perth, there are plenty of places to buy your much loved SA products. you can get Mrs Balls, Ouma Rusks, crosse and Blackwell mayo, Spur sauces and other SA products you cannot live without at the SA shop in Joondulup. You can also get Mrs Balls at the numerous supermarkets in and around Perth.

I am not sure of the Sydney stores but I do know there are quite a few and am sure someone here could help you out with names and addresses.

I am open to correction but if you pack things and they are not allowed they will quarantine your things and possibly charge you to destroy them, which could very well eat up your SA rands faster then replacement groceries would have. Also there is no guarantee your container will arrive in time for your first couple of months groceries. Really its not worth it.

If I were you I would stock up things like bactroban (I haven't found an equivalent) and medication like stopayne etc which you would generally use. Mr price clothes for the kids (clothing here is expensive).

Candice :ilikeit:

We brought extra medicines (quite a lot to be honest) we usually use, especially for the little one. I got prescriptions from my GP for everything in case we had trouble at customs. We just declared that we had food (baby cereal and formula) and medicines with us. The guy just asked what medicines and we said prescription and OTC and they let us go without looking at anything. Seeing the program on TV about customs I think we were lucky, probably due to a difficult toddler at the airport and we were already late for our next flight as we waited for a suitcase that got left behind in Jhb (which had no power when we left, so I guess getting the luggage on the planes in time was a disaster).

So far, I am not sorry that we didn't pack any food or cleaning products, but I am regretting not buying more clothes beforehand (and we bought quite a bit in the few months preceding our move) . Our toddler is 19 months and Target's clothes is ok, but it's not Ackermans and very expensive, so I've learned to watch out for the specials, then it's much more affordable.

I regret not buying that leather Woolies handbag I so much desired, but it's water under the bridge (and was too expensive in any case)!

This is an interesting thread! I had not considered taking food with me at all! I am still a bit sceptical! However, i think that it may be worthwhile looking at clothes, especially kids clothes, as i have heard that these are more expensive. But hey, if you are paying for the container, why not just fill it up!

Al