Worried aboud kids and values

batsaf

We have started the process for visa ap's but the last few days I have heard many horror stories about how fast values and faith are lost when most of us Saffers arrive in other counries. How true is this and how do you guys keep your kids on God's road in a much more liberal country?

I love my two kids dearly but still believe that a little smack now and then when really neccesary is the best way of dicipline - some say that it is against the law totally in Aus - how does it work.

we are a pretty conservative Afrikaans family and this is one of my biggest concerns about life there. If some of you can shed a little light on this I'd really apreciate!

Oh - my kids are in a Afrikaans Christian private school here, are there any of those in Aus ( even english ) that are quite like the ones here as far as Reformed, Chritian values go???

Dear Batsaf,

In every country you have you good and bad, and that is reflected in its society. I have been living here for 8 years and I still think that if you apply the GIGO PRINCIPAL , most of your battles are won at home. GIGO - GOOD IN/GOOD OUT or GARBAGE IN /GARBAGE OUT.

Most of "our" children are influenced by our values at home, with a lot of infulence from their friends. But once again, if you are in a fairly good area, with people with similar principals and value, you should have no problems.

The " horror" stories you hear can also be blown complete out of proportion.

We see the horror stories of what is happening in South Africa with the violence. I still take my chances in Australia anyday of the week/month or year that my kids are going turn out to be normal humans growing up with out fear and having respect for the fellow humans.

You might think that South Africa is conservative, but you are applying that conservative out look to your very small conservative community of perhaps

4 million in a sea of 60 million. Australia is a " normal" society with is own set of problems , perhaps 50 % of you population is conservative and the balance is "liberal" in a population of say 21million.

The way I see it you can take your chances in the "cocoon" that we creat in South Africa and hope that you survive the bullits and violence, or take your chances out there in a normal society.

And, yes there are Christian Schools in Australia, all sorts - Methodist/Anglican/Baptisits and by way the largest the Catholics.

Edited by enrica

Guest Lara

I went to a talk at our school last night about Values in the school. It is now a big part of the school curriculum

http://www.curriculum.edu.au/values/

We have started the process for visa ap's but the last few days I have heard many horror stories about how fast values and faith are lost when most of us Saffers arrive in other counries. How true is this and how do you guys keep your kids on God's road in a much more liberal country?

I love my two kids dearly but still believe that a little smack now and then when really neccesary is the best way of dicipline - some say that it is against the law totally in Aus - how does it work.

we are a pretty conservative Afrikaans family and this is one of my biggest concerns about life there. If some of you can shed a little light on this I'd really apreciate!

Oh - my kids are in a Afrikaans Christian private school here, are there any of those in Aus ( even english ) that are quite like the ones here as far as Reformed, Chritian values go???

That was my biggest worry as well, but I am glad to say that your kids will be fine. they mimic what they see at home and keep those values. They will be going through the tough teenage stages, but will hang on to what they were taught at home.

There are a lot of christian schools here, and the most Aussie parents still give their kids a "smack" on the bottom now and then, it is not illegal, but some frown upon it. We just make sure that we keep being strict, but not overbearingly so, as they still grow up in this society.

You will find that your kids will be more open minded and also have more boldness than SA kids, but they think out of the box more and generally tend to be quite grown up in a good way. They might be a little less respectfull , but will treat all with the same attitude, not because of your age or persona, but because you are a human being, and therefore deserve respect.

Dear Batsaf,

In every country you have you good and bad, and that is reflected in its society. I have been living here for 8 years and I still think that if you apply the GIGO PRINCIPAL , most of your battles are won at home. GIGO - GOOD IN/GOOD OUT or GARBAGE IN /GARBAGE OUT.

Most of "our" children are influenced by our values at home, with a lot of infulence from their friends. But once again, if you are in a fairly good area, with people with similar principals and value, you should have no problems.

I have to agree with Enrica here - Value and the principles of right and wrong begin at home and especially the responsibility of parents to be a role model and enforce the right behaviours. Yes - kids will be influenced by their peers, but if they have the right home environment, they should be ok. This in itself is no guarantee that we will all have upstanding model citizens, but with the correct boundaries and space to grow/learn and with our love/support. They should be able to navigate that difficult peer pressure period.

My wife teaches in an Early Learning Centre and to be honest when we look at children with behavioural issues - they can be attributed very often straight back to the home environment and parents:

• lack of discipline (here I dont advocate smacking children, but that is a personal choice)
  • spoiling children (kids at age 6 getting mobile phones - is that really necessary)
  • creation of solid boundaries - for example time to go to bed, time to do homework, personal hygiene, amount of time watching t or playing Playstation etc
  • Responsibility - making their beds in morning, packing clothes away, dirty clothes in linen basket, shoes at door, manners at table, clearing plates away from table etc
  • re-inforcement of right vs wrong - if on a bus - you do giveup your chair, you dont push past people or cut queues, you do pay for your train ticket even though it maybe easy or possible to not do these things.
  • Quality time spent with children - eating dinner/breakfast together and not on the run, genuine playtime with kids

Just some personal thoughts on this and with a sprinkle of some magic dust - hopefully we will get through the teenage years unscathed :)

Rgds

Matman

I believe values start with the parents and at an early age. When they are older you let go and trust that what you have invested in them is what walks them through life.

End of the Day: I believe in Children being safe, and I do not believe like that my children are 100% safe during the day in SA.

If young SA looks to people like Jacob Zuma to be their father, a man whose morality is in question then what we sow we will reap.