Taxing issues

DesertDaisy

I am fortunate that I have a "tame" tax accountant in South Africa who has always helped me sort out my taxes. He is a great guy, and does everything by the book, and refuses to cheat. He says there are enough legal loopholes so that you actually don't have to! Every year he tells me exactly what documents I will need - from mileage logs to medical reciepts etc etc.

If we go to Australia, I wont have my tame tax man anymore, and will have to do it myself. A few questions for those experienced in this:

1. How complicated are tax returns that are submitted annually?

2. What documents should you keep? I know in the USA some people keep every single reciept for every single purchase in case the IRS investigate you. How far do you need to go in Australia?

3. Any other tax relevant comments (we are hopefully going over on a 457 visa)?

Thanks!

Hi DD,

We were a bit careful with our first tax return, and went to an accountant (who came highly reccomended by an Australian friend). She charged us $100 each, and it was very straight forward. I kept all receipts anyway, just in case. You need a copy of your tax file number form, your medical aid details, your Medicare levy exemption certificate (See Riekie's tread on this) and all receipts for anything you bought that is work related. That includes steel cap boots, overalls, tools and even mobile phone contracts (if you work out in the bush and need to get a CDMA or satelite phone). If you start working in the middle of a financial year (which runs from July to June) you get quite a lot paid back.

Greetings

Dreamy