Tourists spend more money in Melbourne than Sydney

Pippa

MELBOURNE has overtaken Sydney in terms of domestic tourism spending for the first time, prompting the tourism industry body to call for a swift release of the O'Neill report on NSW tourism.

Tourism Australia figures reveal domestic overnight visitors spent $4.53 billion in Melbourne in 2007, compared to $4.49 billion in Sydney.

Events NSW Chairman John O'Neill has spent the past year conducting a review of tourism in NSW and is expected to soon release the results.

Tourism groups have called for urgent action to arrest a growing decline in Sydney's market share.

Tourism and Transport Forum (TTF) Managing Director Christopher Brown said the results highlighted the urgent need for the release of findings of the O'Neill report.

"These results reflect Melbourne's strong, sophisticated tourism brand and are a wake-up call to the NSW tourism industry," Mr Brown said.

He said there had been a changing of the guard in domestic tourism and Tourism NSW required a significant funding increase.

"Sydney is still Australia's top city for domestic visitor numbers and visitor nights, but Melbourne now makes a stronger contribution to the economy," Mr Brown said.

Melbourne had a compelling marketing strategy and a state government willing to invest in tourism infrastructure, while Tourism NSW had had its funding cut by 14.8 per cent since the 2002-03 state budget.

Article Link (source Courier Mail - Brisbane News Paper)

I think the tourists spend their money on the clothes.

Melbourne is the fashion capital of Australia, and every time I have gone there I have returned with a fuller suitcase!

;)

What can I say, Melbourne rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!