Employment Reference Letters (TRA applications)

Hi everybody,

I don't know if there is anyone who will be able to help me, my husband need to get an employment reference letter from his previous employers. When we requested the reference letters we attached copies of the requirements for employment letters to ensure that the companies know what we needed but when we forwarded the letters of employment to the agency we use they informed us that the letters didn't contain enough information.

I just wonder if anyone still has copies of employment reference letters used in a successful skill assessment by the TRA. As I would like to give an example to companies to ensure that we receive letters that are up to standard (the previous time it took more than a month to receive these letters, I shiver to think that maybe I need to ask a third time.)

Thank you,

Sulona

Guest Jules

Hi Sulona,

I did the TRA application for my husband a couple of years back (motor mechanic). As he was self-employed for 10 years at the time he didn't need employer reference letters, however he did need letters from his suppliers and customers stating in detail the work he had performed for the customers and the things he had bought from the suppliers. What we did was write up a detailed letter for them, with what we thought the TRA would expect and then forwarded it to the supplier/customer and asked them to type it on the company letterhead. It is unfortunately a time-consuming process and in my opinion it was the hardest part of the whole migration process but just persevere and I am sure things will work out ok.

If I can help you in any way at all just shout. Good luck!

Love

Julie :D

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it, it is so frustrating collecting all the info for the application, we are the only ones in a hurry, the rest of SA is on Africa time, if it takes 4 weeks to reply to a request, we should be grateful that they took the time to replied at all.

Sulona