Another Day Down Under

Guest Mauritz

Guest Mauritz

Today is Mothers Day ... what a day. We joined an Italian family for a 'picnic' in Stanthorpe. If you understand Afrikaans - the family in "Perskes, Borste & Krulle." Mina, husband, two daughters then Mama, Papa and Mama 'in law'. The oldies have been in Aus for donkey years, I mean they are Stanthorpe, but the English is no good - like Suidwes Engrish.

We used one of those flashy stainless steel gas BBQ's - the ones the town council supply - they are all over the land of Oz - mostly free. These areas are nearly always clean - there are always families or friends 'braaing' - kids playing everywhere. Everybody behaving velly nicely.

post-7140-1210507118.jpg

At one stage my kids disappeared - that old cold iAfrica feeling again - where are they??? I took the camera and walked in the direction they 'disappeared' - I found them:

post-7140-1210506418.jpg

They found this heap of leaves and built a 'nest.'

I walked further - the Severn River flows through Stanthorpe. Everything is clean - not a plastic bag or any rubbish in sight. Ducks and and other waterbirds everywhere. Kids fishing here and there - large groups of people having picnics. Kids on bicycles, families playing touch rugby and cricket. Not a 'rotten apple' anywhere in sight. Nobody locks their vehicles - only me. A pretty and peaceful sight.

post-7140-1210506768.jpg

I look at all this and realise how lucky I am to be in this country. How can you educate/train/force people to be like this???? How do you educate people not to eat the ducks or do their washing in the river??? How do you get people not to get stone drunk and frighten the kids away??? How do you get people not to pollute the river, steal the BBQ??? I don't know, maybe it's in the blood. Once, a long time ago I fought to keep a country this very way. Will I do it again - oh yes - bring it on. This is paradise - a country worth dying for.

Am I home????? I think so.

Edited by Mauritz

Mauritz, that photo with the children is beautiful! Children growing up they way they should be - relaxed, happy and making wonderful memories to cherish later on in their lives.

Mauritz is al vier joune!!!!! Hul is pragtig. Ek sien al myne in die blare le. Dankie vir die fotos.

Anmarie

Hi there,

We only recently joined this forum. Must thank you for this fantastic post. Everything you describe in your post is just about what we as a family are hoping to find on our arrival in Oz. So nice to see this possitive post with your beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing this great day you had. Had a great laugh too at your comments on " how do they educate the people" LOL. This was so refreshing!

What a great post! I must say that this is what I have thought whilst being here on my LSD... How do people just behave this well?!! They clean up after themselves, they travel on the public transport system, paying their way with nobody around to check if they have tickets, they cross at pedestrian crossings and not just anywhere, they obey the speed limit... ... ... I could go on and on and on!

I also feel that I'm 'home' ... only problem is I have to go back to South Africa on Friday and start my visa application ;)

Hope to be back 'home' soon!

Hi M,

Now this one of your posts that I loved! Thanks for the pics, I can see you enjoyed the the day and were in a nice, mellow mood. ;)

What a lovely, positive and up lifting post, again, good on you! :lol:

Greetings,

Reminds me a lot of SA in the late 70's early 80's (Safe public braai areas)

Clean and safe!

Cant wait to get there too!

A

Hi Mauritz.

Wow!! What a beautiful post.

Thanks for reminding me why we came here in the first place. Have been missing friends and family in SA terribly and contemplating going back at the end of the year.

Now I know that I need to work harder on getting my loved ones over here instead to this peaceful place.

Take Care.

Thank you for the post!

This is what I want for my kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy and SAFE

Trudie

A good mate is travelling at the mo thro Germany.

I got a text message saying that he loved the country . . . everything worked, everything was clean and beautiful, everyone obeyed the traffic laws, etc.

The Germans, as well as some others, are brought up culturally to respect the Law (in general) and look after their "back yard".

I told my mate to contrast this with some of the suburbs in English cities where the majority of its people come from Nigeria and the Carribean.

The "culture' of the people living in those areas is somewhat different . . . . more in tune with Africa. . . . . litter everywhere, run down infrastructure the norm, broken bus stop shelters, etc. etc.

I find it so damn hard to believe the Politically Correct version of us all being the same and having similar cultural outlooks.

I must be missing something along the way?????

A good mate is travelling at the mo thro Germany.

I got a text message saying that he loved the country . . . everything worked, everything was clean and beautiful, everyone obeyed the traffic laws, etc.

The Germans, as well as some others, are brought up culturally to respect the Law (in general) and look after their "back yard".

I told my mate to contrast this with some of the suburbs in English cities where the majority of its people come from Nigeria and the Carribean.

The "culture' of the people living in those areas is somewhat different . . . . more in tune with Africa. . . . . litter everywhere, run down infrastructure the norm, broken bus stop shelters, etc. etc.

I find it so damn hard to believe the Politically Correct version of us all being the same and having similar cultural outlooks.

I must be missing something along the way?????

Yes, those kind of things tend to happen. It also makes me wonder whether all of us are indeed so similar...

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, those kind of things tend to happen. It also makes me wonder whether all of us are indeed so similar...

Sure, we were all born equal.

But that's where it ends... :ilikeit:

Mauritz,

I hunger for the day when I can repeat your words of pure bliss, having a picnic in a safe area as we haven't done that for some time. Thanks for keeping the dream alive.

Jamiella

Ditto to that Jamelia.........keep those dreams alive M !