5 year wait for a 7 minute operations

Pippa

This thread has the potential to explode again, with all the pro's and con's. I hope not.

I just feel these people complain because they have to wait a long time to get basically FREE treatment. I have never known it existed, getting operations and accident treatments for little or no cost, until I landed in NZ. We always had to pay our own way, its how we grew up.

So we decided to get private health care here too. If we get it for free, well and good. If not, we can afford it because we can claim it back from our healthcare provider.

Personally I feel that a Private Hospital Plan is sufficient:

We pay $1800 per annum for a top private Hospital cover plan for a family of five:

My daughter had to have two shoulder operations:

We chose our surgeon

We chose the time

She had 2x4 days in a private room in a exclusive private hospital

physios 2x a day

And our out of pocket expenses were negligable.What I did pay in I claimed back from tax.

My son had hospital day procedure in December and our out of pocket expenses were $250. This I can claim back with my next tax return.

Sure- we could have had it done by another surgeon at the Gold Coast hospital but the waiting list was 7-1O months.

On the other hand emergency procedures etc seem to be ok at State hospitals.

My nephew had an emergency Laminectomy at the GC hospital by top neurosurgeon at it cost him $0.

You are aware that the type of "elective surgery" that they are talking about, is because she doesn't WANT to wear glasses or contact lenses & then has her eyes fixed

"Elective" does not include "critical" or "neccessary", but rather a lifestyle or other choice ... like a man who wants to become a woman .....

Edited by JanCPT

• 1 month later...
You are aware that the type of "elective surgery" that they are talking about, is because she doesn't WANT to wear glasses or contact lenses & then has her eyes fixed

"Elective" does not include "critical" or "neccessary", but rather a lifestyle or other choice ... like a man who wants to become a woman .....

well answered!