SA Holiday

Overtaker

Question

Well, we've just returned from a 3 week "holiday" to RSA - and drove 3500km in the first two weeks (CT to kimberley to Jhb to Howick to Pretoria).

We were pleasantly surprised at the excellent condition of the roads, particularly the N1 and N12 which were always terrible when we lived there. Also there is a lot of construction and building going on, so there seems to be growth. On the whole it was a very positive experience.

The only real issue is that its not so cheap any more, but still a lot better than Oz - well, better if you're earning and spending dollars.

6 answers to this question

Hi Overtaker,

Glad you enjoyed your holidays! And also that you guys had a safe trip. :blush:

Just remember though that you saw everything through nostalgic "holiday eyes". The underlying problems are still all there (unfortunately).

zorba

:lol:

We too just returned from SA where my sister got married and we made a final goodbye trip before we move from Dubai to Aus (last trip to SA before aus move for sure).

We too used the toll roads and were pleasantly surprised by the good condition of the roads.

What we were not impressed with was the 2 hour wait to get through passport control at JHB airport and the further hour wait to get a trolley to wheel our luggage out to waiting family members. International airport?? I know you are fixing things up but 4 officers for 4 flights? Madness

We were not impressed with the load shedding we were subjected to at random times while staying with my mom in law in PTA. We found so many people there fed up, angry, grumpy and no wonder at the prices of things for folks earning SA Rands - how are people coping? Was great coming with overseas currency but the man on the street in SA - it must be pretty hard. We spoke to many who, when heard we live abroad went on to say how they would love to get out a bit or are planning to etc.

While we had a super trip, enjoyed the wedding and the wonderful scenery our country has, we are 100% happy with our choice to migrate to Aus and give our child a better future and ourselves a peaceful life in comparison to that we would have in SA. Its such a worry for loved ones back home - if they cannot cope with basic energy requirements / power now, and are not fixing the problem what on earth will our families be doing in 20 years time??

It was with a sense of relief we boarded our plane filled with excitement for our time ahead migrating to Aus and also a sense of sadness at what has become of our beautiful land.

T

I love SA and intend to come back for a number of holidays if i can. It is a beautiful country. It was interesting for me that so many people on the forum indicated that they would not come back - even for a holiday. I am wondering why?

I see Australia as the better option right now but dont feel that i am being driven out of the country. I believe that we will settle there and remain in Oz, even becoming citizens, but SA has been good to me and i have family here. I will most definantly bring my kids home a couple of times.

Comments?

Al

We will only visit if we have to. Like when my folks get too old to visit us.

We have lived out of South Africa for over 8 years but visited every year for the 6 years. We haven't been back in 2.5years and don't intend to go. Our family can come visit us here. We just don't feel safe there and don't want to feel like we're playing Russian roulette when we visit there.

Everyone has there own opinion and ours has changed in the last couple years. I think also the cost of flights from Australia also makes one think twice about visiting South Africa.

I love SA and intend to come back for a number of holidays if i can. It is a beautiful country. It was interesting for me that so many people on the forum indicated that they would not come back - even for a holiday. I am wondering why?

I see Australia as the better option right now but dont feel that i am being driven out of the country. I believe that we will settle there and remain in Oz, even becoming citizens, but SA has been good to me and i have family here. I will most definantly bring my kids home a couple of times.

Comments?

Al

Hi folks

I've bought my tickets and looking forward to my first trip back to SA since leaving in 2005. I have to say that I'm very excited about seeing friends and family whom I last saw 3.5 years ago and also to see some of the familiar places and how they may have changed. Am especially looking forward to our planned holiday in the Kruger Park, and showing my son that Elephants and Giraffes don't only live in zoos!

SA has a lot of issues and the crime situation does scare me a lot, which is why I've chosen to live in Australia. I do not intend returning to live in SA and having to face the issues there, now that I have the choice to stay here. However, it remains a beautiful country. Despite the difficulties, it is my birthplace and having lived there for the first 35 years of my life, does hold many very happy memories, associations and familiarities. I can therefore never truly cut all ties and I look forward to many more visits. The Aussie dollar makes it possible for me to visit many places in SA that I maybe could not afford to visit while I lived there!

By the way, given the inflation rate, what does one pay those unofficial car guards these days?!!!

Cheers

Enjoy your trip Bliksem. We are busy preparing to leave hopefully around November but like Alison, we too will have fond memories of SA and hope to come back often on holidays. (If we can afford to).

As for the car guards - no tip if the car is no longer where you left it. LOL.

But otherwise, anything around R5 is ok I guess. I usually give extra if they help me with my shopping and they usually do.