Immunity Boost

Pippa

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are struggling to get over a cold/flu…well, it is actually more congestion in the sinuses, but nevertheless, we desperately need to take something that would build up our immunity.

We used to take Viral Choice in South Africa, but it is not available in Australia. Can anyone recommend something good that will give us a boost… especially for the winter?

Have a great weekend and please stay healthy!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hi Pippa.... my mom swears by her Garlic and Parsley caps.... she takes one every day of her life and she very very rarely gets sick!!!

I have recently started giving my 5 yr old some too, and already his sinus (he has VERY bad sinus when the "seasons change") seems to be better.....

So, it might not be a quick solution, but its natural and easy to take!!!

I use Echinacea (spelling?). It helps keep away bugs carried by 300 teenagers, but it tastes aweful! I don't dilute it, straight out the bottle. Also, the minute I feel my throat getting sore, I gargle with salt water - amazing!

Good luck with the bugs this winter!

I have teh flu at this moment and the pharmacist swears by Sudafed PE. It is a day+night relief pack.

Meaning there are pills for the day and some for night time. But I think it all boils down to Paracetamol.

I think my fever broke last night, so I'm left with a "seer keel"

Go see a good homeopath or naturapath, Pippa. They've got a good arsenal of stuff that work way better than conventional meds. I saw mine this week and the drops he gave knocks the crookedness right out of you. :lol:

Gemmer tee - die geel korreltjies soort, lepel suiker en 'n stywe dop bran of whisky daarin voor jy gaan slaap.

Ek glo ook maar in Homopatiese medisyne. Rufebran inspuiting sodra verkoue kry. Kos R25.

Niks gaan jou gesond kry as jy nie in die medisyne glo nie.

Sommige mense se immum stelsel is nou maar net beter as ander s'n. Hoekom weet seker niemand nie.

Suurlemoene bevat ook baie vit C

In danger of sounding like a "mother-meets-new-ager" I doubt that there are any simple ways of staying healthy.

I think it's a combination of enough sleep, enough vitamin/minerals/trace minerals which you will normally find in fresh fruit (or veggies, but i hate veggies so I stick to fruit)

The other things like Eckinacea(spelling? whatever) will also help to boost your immune system but ultimately if you eat healthy and sleep enough you should be fine.

Remember pills can't cure you only dampen the effect till your body sorts itself out during rest/sleep.

Health to you and yours.

Pippa have you tried Olive leaf extract http://www.olea.com.au/ ? We have a travelling bottle in the office . It works like a charm. The moment anybody gets a bit of a sniffle they will have a teaspoon of the stuff. I have about 1000m buffered vitamin C each time I start feeling sick. You can also have Zinc (gluconate) and Vitamin C strepsils Lozenges. At the chemist you can get Fisherman’s friend lozenges suck on them. We also eat heaps of baked garlic. I drink heaps of ginger tea. Just peel the ginger and pour hot water over it and drink the infusion. You can also add honey to it. Often when you are feeling sick your body is pretty dehydrated increase your hot fluids. PS: No coffee or English tea as it has caffeine in.

Do you have any pollen allergies? Hubby is sensitive to Gordonias and they give the same symptoms as flu. So whenever they are flowering he has sinusitis and problems with his athsma. Telfast is one of the best antihistamines you can buy over the counter that provides quick relief.

• 5 weeks later...
Pippa have you tried Olive leaf extract http://www.olea.com.au/ ? We have a travelling bottle in the office . It works like a charm. The moment anybody gets a bit of a sniffle they will have a teaspoon of the stuff. I have about 1000m buffered vitamin C each time I start feeling sick. You can also have Zinc (gluconate) and Vitamin C strepsils Lozenges. At the chemist you can get Fisherman’s friend lozenges suck on them. We also eat heaps of baked garlic. I drink heaps of ginger tea. Just peel the ginger and pour hot water over it and drink the infusion. You can also add honey to it. Often when you are feeling sick your body is pretty dehydrated increase your hot fluids. PS: No coffee or English tea as it has caffeine in.

Do you have any pollen allergies? Hubby is sensitive to Gordonias and they give the same symptoms as flu. So whenever they are flowering he has sinusitis and problems with his athsma. Telfast is one of the best antihistamines you can buy over the counter that provides quick relief.

Hallo Pippa

Ek stem ook vir Olive Leaf extract! Het so paar weke terug die raad by een van my nursie vriendinne gekry, dit dadelik gaan koop en ek kon baie gou 'n merkwaardige verskil voel!

Hoop julle word gou gesond.

xxx

Tania

Hi Pippa,

I am sitting with the exact same thing here in Melbourne. We have been here 3 months now and have been sick (on and off) for the past month.

They do not have the same flu med for the kids either.

So I have been feeding the kids and hubby vit C for the past week. Over the past long weekend everone's flu broke (got worse) but still I kept on with the vit C.

This morning my daughter said she is feeling so much better. My son has his colour back and hubby is smiling.

Vits is the best ayu to go but you need to give it some time!

Good luck.

Nats

Hi julle

Het gelees van 'Astragalus' op die internet, ek gaan dit probeer.

My Suid Afrikaanse dokter wat nou sedert Sept 07 hier in Adeliade is, sê egter dis nie verkoue/griep nie, maar 'n allergie, hy het dit self maande gehad. Ons hoes vandat ons in Maart hier gelnd het.

Groete

Cristel

Our daughter's paediatrician told us to use honey as it is a natural anti-inflammatory and by relieving the swelling in the nasal passages you reduce the chance of sinisitits and the related complications that follow. I tried this with our daughter and she immediatly improved. We just give her a teaspoon either on her pap or in a cup of rooibos tea.

hmmm will this work for grown ups - I suffer so badly with sinus I'd do anything hehe

Hi Pippa,

When we moved to the UK Ihad the same problem. I got a cold the second morning I woke up.

The best medicine for me was Lemsip Day & Night capsules. Over here it is more herby than in th UK and I must say I got the cold out the door in 3 days after using that and I got another cold a week ago and again it lasted only for 4 days.

Hope this works for you.

Hi Pippa

Remember to drink lots of water.

Which reminds me: We are used to drinking filtered water - counter top filter. Will we be able to get the same type of thing and what should we be looking for when shopping?

Lizél

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the advice! We are both much better now, but will have to continue taking our vitamins.

Hi Pippa

Remember to drink lots of water.

Which reminds me: We are used to drinking filtered water - counter top filter. Will we be able to get the same type of thing and what should we be looking for when shopping?

Lizél

Lizel, I drink LITRES of water!!! You can drink the tap water, but I don't like the taste of the tap H2O... We buy bottled water; $6.29 for 15 bottles. Our friends in Toowoomba buy a 15/20L container and I believe that it is quite affordable.

Lovies, Pippa! X

• 3 weeks later...

If you don’t want to get the flu, have an apple, an orange and a banana every day. Drink lots of water and you won’t get sick much at all.