Perth Neighbourhoods question

Legalbuff

Hi everyone

We are looking into property to buy/rent in Perth.

I am sitting with a map of the place and seem to be able to find homes within our budget to buy/rent in a neighbourhood called "Dianella".

Now I don't know whether to be impressed or alarmed - maybe a "less than desirable" area in Perth, and thus, more affordable??

So hard to know when you are not there yet!!!

Can anyone recommend areas in Perth, other than the obvious ie Carine, Duncraig etc. I heard everyone is very impressed with the Northern Suburbs, but how about the South? anything worth looking into there??

What to avoid??

(I know there is a communities page for Perth, but thought this might get seen by more people if I post here!)

Any comments/input will be much appreciated!

And am I crazy to think the houses are horrendously expensive??? How do people cope with one income only???

HELP!!

Hi

Only people I know in Perth, just immigrated a month ago. They were looking to rent/buy in Byford, but now have settled in Mount Navura (something like that...?).

Apparently it is great where they live, and it's towards the south.

They also ex-Secunda "groenstrook".

Edited by bosmans

I think it really depends on what you like and where you work and what tolerance you have for commuting. Some people like living on 2 acres of bush, so they live more to the east. But then getting to the CBD or a shopping mall will take least 30 min. Some people like living in a brand new house, so then the newer areas further north (Clarkson, Carramar, Mindarie, Ellenbrook) and further south (Atwell, Success, Aubin Grove) are the place to be. I hope this helps abit!

I also find the house prices high and if you look at comparisons between Australian cities, Perth is second, I think, highest when it comes to house prices. There are also some useful posts under Perth communities, if you haven't looked already. I would also suggest you think about what your criteria are for where you want to stay, as these are also different for everyone.

Happy house hunting and shout if you need more info :blink:

Sorry, I hit that post button too many times :blink:

Edited by SueB

Thnaks SueB

For us the criteria is definitely SHORT COMMUTE!! We are currently travelling for about 2 -3 hours daily and just basically growing old in traffic! :blink:

Affordability is also key, don't want to pay a horrendous amount of rent the first few months, maybe try and stick to approx $350 per week (looking for a duplex)

Hubby will work in CBD, so anything relatively within travelling distance will be great. Also we'd like to make use of public transport.

(I seem a bit demanding when reading over this! - sorry! not the intent!!)

Any other thoughts based on the above?

Thnaks SueB

For us the criteria is definitely SHORT COMMUTE!! We are currently travelling for about 2 -3 hours daily and just basically growing old in traffic! :blink:

Affordability is also key, don't want to pay a horrendous amount of rent the first few months, maybe try and stick to approx $350 per week (looking for a duplex)

Hubby will work in CBD, so anything relatively within travelling distance will be great. Also we'd like to make use of public transport.

(I seem a bit demanding when reading over this! - sorry! not the intent!!)

Any other thoughts based on the above?

It's good to know what you want! It doesn't help you come here and stay in a place that's not right for you - how will you feel about Australia then?

I have the same dilemma: we need to live as close to the CBD as possible, but the prices are fantastic :wacko: My solution is to live 5 minutes from a train station because the trains are reasonably quick. Buses are slow, so unless I had a 20 minute busride into the CBD I wouldn't use them. Some suburbs: all the ones to the north on either side of the train line, south along the train line Bull Creek, Winthrop, Brentwood, Rossmoyne, Willetton. I am not sure exactly what these suburbs are like but I haven't heard anything bad yet. I would not consider staying anywhere along the Armadale train line.

This is what is making it hard for us to decide - there are so many places to choose from :lol:

I am also investigating the options around Murdoch,Coolbellup,Bibra Lake,Leeming area.Trouble is I see there arent many that take pets.

Enrica directed me to this site http://www.realestateview.com.au/ and I found a very comprehensive selection.

And I recall the Director for nursing at the hospital in Murdoch saying she stays in Central Perth and that it takes her 15minutes to travel to work UNLESS theres a traffic jam.Then it takes her an extra 5 minutes and she gets really upset having to get stuck in traffic.

Hi Legalbuff

If you are looking at duplexes/villas and just 2 adults with no kids , you have endless possibilities.

Lets start:

Cafee life styles

Try East perth, very trend , very close to the city

Northen Suburbs- Try Innaloo/Doubleview/Scarbourgh/Leederville/Wembley beach all within 15min by train to the city

Further North you can get duplexes/townhouse in Joondalup thats 30mins on the train to the city

South

Try South Perth/Como/Adross/Subiaco and Freemantle with a bit of Luck.

Even the city centre you could find apartments say 1 bedroom apartment in that price range.

Good Luck

Cheers

Enrica

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

I think I might have an idea of my problem: I'm thinking in a South African state of mind. I keep having visions of living in a place like Brixton or something and getting robbed/killed first night out. Which is improbable!! Must get that right. :ilikeit:

It doesn't seem (from everyone's answers) that there is really an area to AVOID? Am I wrong? :ilikeit:

I am definitely going to have a look with regard to all the places mentioned - many of them I've come across in my "reiwa" surfing, but many not. Must have a look. :rolleyes:

How did people do this before the Internet??? :ilikeit:

And again - thanks for replying to this - I really appreciate it.

:blush:

Hi Legalbuff

Dont kid yourself there are areas in Perth also to be avoided. Having said that, its also quite difficult to suggest an area if you dont know the circumstances ie kids/no kids how much etc etc.

Yeah, what ever your perceptions of Joburg ie Brixton/Berea change that mind set.

Yes, you can surf the net, but at the end of the day, you need to be here , drive around and see what you like.

Also helps if you can stay near your friends, it makes life a lot easier on the days that you are feeling down and blue.

Your lifestyle will also dictate where you will prefer to stay.

Cheers

Enrica

[Dianella is fine- very nice. ALso look at Landsdale, Ellenbrooke, then there are a host of suburbs north, but close to the train line: Connolly, Joondalup, etc.

Sorry, forgot to add Vic park(Victoria Park) certain areas are very "trendy" and popolur with young proffessionals , also Maylands, certain areas are really nice for you proffessionals as its very close to the Swan River. These are are also close and accessible to the city.

Now you have lots of areas to Google and search!!!

We are looking at Forrestfield, doesnt seem too far from the airport and it will be where my hubby works. Forrestfield is in The Shire OF Kalamunda, if you google this quite a bit of info comes up.

• 4 weeks later...

You are better of renting at first so you can get an idea of where you would like to live when you buy. There are many areas that are good to live in both north and south of the river. It depends on what you consider to be a good area also. Things to think of would be how far away from a good school you are, public transport, cost, shopping centres, some areas have smaller homes with smaller sections, some areas have older homes and some have mostly new homes. You are better off deciding when you are in Perth. Unfortunately there is a shortage of rental properties so that might be a bit of a problem.